Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Source: Setanta Sports 05 April 2008, by Oli Skehan]

For many years Roy Keane was a name synonymous with Manchester United and the glory associated with the club. Despite the fact the Corkman was treated like a God at Old Trafford, his departure still leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

Keane feels that he was let down and betrayed by those at Manchester United who believed his services were no longer required, and even though he is now successfully managing Sunderland, his days in the famous colours of Manchester United are somewhat overshadowed by the treatment he received in the latter stages of his time at the club.

"The day I left United, in hindsight, I should have stopped playing really," Keane told the Irish Times. "I lost the love of the game that Friday morning. I thought football is cruel, life is cruel. It takes two to tango also. I am fully responsible for my own actions but some things are wrong.

"I left on a Friday and they told me certain things before I left that day. I was told the following week I couldn't sign for another club. I had been led to believe I could. There were certain things I was told at certain meetings that were basic lies.

"That was part of the exit plans, I am convinced. Especially with my pride, I wasn't going to accept that. They had a statement prepared and they were thanking me for 11 and a half years of service.

"I had to remind the manager [Manchester United chief executive] David Gill I had been there 12 and a half years. I think that might have been part of the plan.

"Then the financial stuff was mentioned. I was thinking, my God. I am happy to leave. I won't go down that road. A week later they announced £70 or £80 million profit after telling me I hadn't played for six weeks and so they weren't prepared to do this and that. I told David Gill I had broken my foot playing for Manchester United against Liverpool. Pretty sad.

"I look back and thing I should have said this and I should have said that. It is like Mick McCarthy at the World Cup. I always think when he said if you don't have respect for me you can't play for me, I should have said to him what I felt. I am not playing for you I am playing for Ireland. It is easy to be wise afterwards."

Roy Keane, arguably our greatest captain and most fiercely loyal player for more than 12 years, come clean on his true feelings upon his departure. If true, it is very very sad indeed.

What do you think?

·
Registered
809 Posts
keano is an absolute legend...liked his playing style before he came here...possibly your best ever captain.and i like him even more for slapping shearer

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
keane is a united legend and always will be remembered by this generation and the the next and the next and the next and..well you get it :D ......i was very sad that he left us and retired at celtic..but history cant be rewritten :(

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other sources of subject thread:

Latest Sport News: Keane bitter about United exit Sunday Sun - Sport (Sunday Sun - Sport,GB)

Was Roy Keane let down by Manchester United? - FootballFanCast.com (footballfancast.com,GB)

Keane bitter about United exit - The Press Association (ukpress.google.com,US)

Keane still bitter over United exit TEAMtalk - Manchester United (TEAMtalk,GB)

Keane Feels Let Down By United Exit - Goal.com

I am really surprised by the muted response thus far. :eek:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
abojodeh said:
he is great but not the greatest captin CANTONA THE GREATEST CAPTIN EVER
Roy Keane is the greatest captain in Premiership history, not to mention the most complete midfielder. Of all the players, Keane is the first you'd write on a team-sheet. He'd do anything to win and although he often overstepped the mark (the Alfie Haaland incident was disgraceful, I don't deny that), you couldn't help but admire the sheer force of his personality. Keane's team-mates always gave 100%, because he gave them no other alternatives.

For the earlier accident

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
legend will be always be legend.
i was well shocked when he left, but harsh reality always has the upper hand, not everything can go like how we wish.
we may yet to find out what happen behind the scenes...

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't ever recall Keano lying. He always speaks what he thinks bluntly, forcefully and yes, sometimes inappropriately.

So to read how he was so unceremoniously treated at the end of his more than 12 years of dedicated services and association with United is both disturbing and a shock to me.

And yes, perhaps there were indeed some other 'misunderstandings' or 'complications' or maybe he was even 'misguided' by his own flawed interpretations of things blah blah blah.

But for him to feel so bitter and let down by the club that he so distinguishedly served is very very sad indeed.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
this says more about fergie . while you are doing it for him you are his darling when he thinks you have outlived your usefulness you are discarded like an old paper . shankley was the same , when tommy smith was being interviewed about a badly gashed leg he had sustained he butted in and said thats not tommies leg its liverpools leg . i have an inkling royston is cut from the same cloth and when he matures he will make an awesome manager

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Look at the list of players who had to go: Ince, Beckham, Keano as captains and add to that Stam and Ruud. This shows Fergie really is able to "kill the darlings" and put the team first.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
yangch0000 said:
i just feel there is more to be unveiled....

we haven heard any responses from man utd regarding keane's comments
I have doubts Manchester United are bothered
by things like this ... ;)

They got too much work going on right now ...

We have to demolsh Roma again-so they truly
understand how crap theyare...:p

We then have to give Arse Wenger and his Arse
boys a good whooping too - this is important
because those boys are beginning to really believe
they are a good team, LMAO and we can't have that
happening too quickly now can we ... :confused:

Then we have to make plans for the Champs League
Final arrangements etc etc ...

Then finally - the parading through Manchester with
the Prem League and Champs League trophies on
top of a bus with no lid on it ... :eek:

So Keano will have to wait for any reactions from Glory Glory Man United !!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
I have doubts Manchester United are bothered
by things like this ...
They got too much work going on right now ...

We have to demolsh Roma again-so they truly
understand how crap theyare...:p

We then have to give Arse Wenger and his Arse
boys a good whooping too - this is important
because those boys are beginning to really believe
they are a good team, LMAO and we can't have that
happening too quickly now can we ... :confused:

Then we have to make plans for the Champs League
Final arrangements etc etc ...

Then finally - the parading through Manchester with
the Prem League and Champs League trophies on
top of a bus with no lid on it ... :eek:

So Keano will have to wait for any reactions from Glory Glory Man United !!!
May it be true
We also have the Bridge to stomp yet;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts