Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much all our corners were taken short yesterday against Bolton.
Is this a good ploy? or is it just against big strong teams like Bolton that we
will try this.
The short corners dont always work which can be frustrating and then maybe
leave our team succeptible to the counter attack.
With players like Ronaldo, Vidic and Rio, shouldnt we just be whipping in some
great corners?
Or maybe its because our corner taking isnt as good as it used to be.
Whether its Giggs, Nani or whoever the standard of the corners have been
very poor.....and then we reverted to the short ones yesterday.
Any thoughts?

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
There was way to many yesterday. Jst get them in there. Thats what I say. We have big players(Vidic, Rio, Ronaldo) they annoyed me yesterday and a good few of them didnt make it into the box. It was very frustrating.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Short ones worked for Spain this summer. But they also had no size whatsoever, and only had one aerial threat, Sergio Ramos. Honestly, short corners are good if they are followed by a cross soon afterward, due to chaos it creates in the penalty area. If we actually had someone who was consistent in taking them this year though, I'd say we should never use them as we have plenty height and strength. However, given our current circumstances I think we need to mix it up a bit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well if we are going to take a quick corner and catch the oppisition out then of course it's a short corner, but we have some great headers off the ball and tall players such as Berbatov,Rio,Vidic, Ronaldo etc. As if we are taking a short corner then it is hard because we may get catched on the counter leading to a goal. So I think short corners most the time are a no-no.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I don't think you can specifically say short corners are good or bad.

I think taking short corners every now and again can be positive, but if you take short corners ALL the time then thats bad. You've got to vary your corners imo.

I'm not surprised we take short corners, because our corner-takers are seriously bad imho. Giggs rarely beats the first man, Nani takes a good corner every now and again but takes more bad ones than good ones, Carricks corners are good but he adds height at corners as well, Hargreaves corners aren't bad but aren't great, and Tevez's corners are pretty much the same are Hargreaves. Rooney's are pretty good, but he shouldn't be taking them. He should be outside the box waiting on any potential shots.

But we do have height, in Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Brown, Carrick, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Manucho (He is tall but obviously hasn't really played) etc depending on whos playing.

I just think that the takers are pretty poor all round.

I also think that our set-piece defending is bad as well, but thats another story ;).

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Well i know Ronnie got one from a corner giggs provided,BUT out of say 100 corners i rekon less than 10 are used to any effect when played direct.Short corners work well but not ALL the time,i think a mixture of the two is vital.I like it when it drop a high ball to edge of box for scholsey to volley home!

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Just wip it into the box.

Get Rooney and Scholes lurking outside the box.

Gets cleared they can smash it as they are the two best long hitters in the squad.

Not a suprise that we played short corners when both weren't on the field :rolleyes: No-one was lurking outside the box except for someone like Fletcher!!

I remember when we played one out for Scholes on the edge of the box, mis-hit it. However, he's a world class player who is world-class at hitting them.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Short corners are fine. they sometimes lead to a goal and add variety to the mix.

Some instances include the goal aginst Liverpool at Anfild last season.

Tevez goal against Chelsea last season.

Ronaldo header against Wigan at homes also last season.

Yesterday was not done to add variety though - i think Anderson didn't look very confident ;)

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Agreed.

2 in evey 10 maybe, but we should be whipping them in. In-swingers, out-
swingers whater. Perhaps we're just so used to the old stories, of Beckham
corner, Cole, Yorke, Ruud, Ole, Teddy, whoever heading in. They're good at times
but we never seem to score enogh from them nowadays.

We can do it though, Giggs to Ronaldo earlier in the week. My dad blasts at the
box when a corner is taken short and he has a point. Why not have a throw
instead?

We need to work on corner takers though. Nani can't seeme to beat the first man
(Which is the most fustrating thing to see, not beating the first man) or else
seems to over-hit it. Giggsy is getting on. Rooney and Carrick I thought were
always good crossers of the ball. Perhaps Ronaldo a few times for a change
despite him being of such height. Have him fizz a few in to see whats what...

Bue yeah....It really fustrates me seeing such events! :rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
well if they had been rehearsing these short corners in training , it did not work .
i personally hate them get that ball into the box we now have four good headers of the ball , rio , vidic,berbatov and ronny.
it is very frustrating when half of the corners never ended up in the box when everyone was up for them

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think short corners aren't good because you have to flank fast in the center because one or two players comes to you. And we got good players who can score goals by (diving) headers, like Ronaldo or Ferdinand. When you kick short corners you have to looking if you are offside or not.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If it's a case where we can take a corner fast (i.e. someone already near the corner) and can get it back in play before the defense can set up, then go for the short. We have too much threat in the air not to be using them.

People suggest that playing it short then crossing it in... well, what good is that? Everytime we played it short they kicked it right back to the corner taker so you gained what... 2 yards before crossing and a defender in the face? Doesn't see much benefit for me...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
we should go for long cross.. we got couple of good headers
maybe theres no good long kick from other, thats y they need
to play short.. or they are trying to play like arsenal?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump.

How many corners did we win yesterday? loads.
How many did we whip in? barely any.
We took them all short for some reason.
I don't mind a bit of variation but ffs throw a few into the 6 yard box.

We have won an unreal amount of corners this season and a lot of that is down to Valencia who loves
to get to the byline and try and cross the ball in. Any block off the defender and it's a corner.
Evra also seems to win a lot down the left hand side. If we get up to 10 corners a game, surely we
should be doing something a little more useful with them, especially when Vida is in the team.
He is the best player at attacking the ball in the air so we should use him more.

Thoughts?

·
crushed like a bug in the ground
9,195 Posts
Whip 'em in there. We've got Vidic, O'Shea, Rio, Evans, Berba and Fletch with a bit of height, and Giggs is very adept at delivering a good cross as we all know.

A bit of variation can be good, but most of our corners the other day were wasted.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Whip 'em in there. We've got Vidic, O'Shea, Rio, Evans, Berba and Fletch with a bit of height, and Giggs is very adept at delivering a good cross as we all know.

A bit of variation can be good, but most of our corners the other day were wasted.
Short corners are taken against well organized defense with the only aim to disrupt its positioning before delivering the cross in. Most times short corners have little to do with players' height and ability to play "on the second floor".

Yet again there are the short corners - low cross ones, which are taken usually as a mean of searching the surprise element. Once again you will see those only against well built aerial defense.

Ofc, it is the managerial staff that scouts the opponent and orders the type of corners to be taken in a game. That is after a few training practices have been adequately taken beforehand.

·
Succumbing to Ennui under Moyes
8,440 Posts
Our short corners usually end up with no results at all. Why are we afraid to whip the ball in the mixer anymore? Giggs really frustrates with his poor corner delivery. Whenever we get a corner I don't get excited coz I know it won't materialize into a goal scoring opportunity

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Normal corners have the advantage that there can be no offside given, but the marking is tougher.
Short corners allow for extra movement inside the box, meaning it increases the chances for someone to get clear off his marker, but experienced defenses can push for offside traps, and also allows for a defender to close down on the crossing.

Short corners require a lot more training than regular ones, and, in my oppinion, have a lower chance of success.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts