Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source : Goal.com

Should Dong Fangzhuo Leave Manchester United?

It is a familiar picture for followers of the Premier League and Manchester United: the trophy, the champagne, the smiles and the awkward dancing. A little less familiar for United fans is the figure of Dong Fangzhuo.

It wasn't supposed to be this way when the Chinese player joined United. Amazingly, that was over four years ago. Time, rather than Dong down the wing, has flown and now it is time for the 23 year-old to leave Old Trafford.
Excited as media and fans were at the time when he left Chinese powerhouse Dalian Shide, it was obvious that it the-then 19 year-old wasn't going to break into the first team anytime soon. Whether or not he had the talent was immaterial; he didn't even have a work permit.

To solve that problem, the attacker was sent across the channel to Antwerp. Sir Alex Ferguson hoped that three years spent in the centre of the world's diamond trade would also help polish Dong into a Premier League performer. The news that filtered north-west to Manchester was encouraging. Royal Antwerp are hardly giants of the Flemish football scene but after a slow start, Dong started to impress. Hopes were high that when the player returned to England, he would be set to dazzle defences.

It was an exciting prospect for fans both in Manchester and the Middle Kingdom. A genuine star of international class is always welcome but when he is Chinese, then it opens a whole new realm of possibilities, especially for a club never shy of seeking commercial advantages.

His Belgian beat over, the start of 2007 saw Dong finally become a bonafide Manchester United player. Again, the jump from Antwerp to the top of the Premier League was obviously a big one and while Chinese fans were desperate to see the forward in action in a red shirt, it was understood that he may need time. Dong was told to learn from Park Ji-sung by the Chinese media, and these articles still appear from time to time but now, as the Korean has established himself as an important part of the United team, the former Dalian Shide star is nowhere to be seen.

Sightings of the striker in a red shirt have been restricted to United's exhibition matches in the Far East, the Carling Cup and a meaningless appearance in the Premier and Champions League. While it would be hard for any player to do so given such few opportunities, the sad fact is that in these games he has showed little to indicate that he has what it takes to be a significant player for the English, and possibly European, champions.

It is clear that Dong has no future at the club. At best, he is as close now to a place in the first team as he was 18 months ago. In all probablity however, he is as close as he was when he first joined the club in January 2004 and his slide down the pecking order is likely to continue as Fergie splashes the cash this summer. Cynics have always suggested that the player is on the club's books in order to sell the club's shirts. It will become increasingly difficult to disagree with them as his staying time increases and playing time doesn't.

Dong needs to leave Old Trafford and find a team where he actually has a shot of playing for the first team. The one positive in not making it at Manchester United is that even though a player has to make a step down to the next level, that level can contains some pretty attractive options.

China's national team coach, whether that is Ratomir Dujkovic or Vladamir Petrovic, will be hoping that Dong makes that step. Assuming China make it through to the final round of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup - a fairly big assumption to make at this stage - a Dong in regular action week in, week out in Europe could be a boon as China look to appear on the global stage for only a second time.

But mostly for his own sake, Dong needs to find a new club.

John Duerden

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agreed, unfortunately Dong is simply not good enough. If he was ever going to make the grade then it would have been this season with Ole retiring, Rossi being sold and Saha breaking his balsa every weekend.

Sorry Dong - you gotta go. Time to make room for a classy centre forward to compliment Rooney and Tevez.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Yes, he should leave. At 23 he is the oldest player in the reserves and seems to have little chance of ever breaking into the 1st team. For the good of his career it is time to move on.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Red Devil said:
for those of us with MUTV, Dong is a very familiar figure playing for the Reserves and playing well.

that may be the case red devil but reserve team football is about league 2 standards ,so there is one hell of a jump to actually get into the utd team ,dong has had 4 years to make progress and has not registered anything worthwhile at 1st team level .
dong hasn't got the class to make a decent premiership striker but i would like to see him at a championship club if utd lets him go.it would be very enjoyable to see dong make a name for himself at a lower level of football and i wish him all the best for the future ,but i don't think he will ever break thru at utd .

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Red Devil said:
for those of us with MUTV, Dong is a very familiar figure playing for the Reserves and playing well.
He's been outshone by both Welbeck and Eagles in attack though. He took ages to score for the reserves this season but once he did he seemed to find some confidence and started playing much better.

We've got Manucho coming into the squad next season and I've heard good things about Macheda in the youth team too.

There's a lot of competition up front at United and I just don't think Dong will ever make the grade.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
tbh, he hasn't had much of a chance, and when he did he was usually up front on his own, but thats probably because hes not good enough.

At 19 years old, he probably looked like he had a bit of class about him, but the looks of players when their in their teens can be deceptive. He obviously wasn't as good as he looked.

Its time for him to move on. I would love to see him do well at United, but its never going to happen, with a lot better options up front, and potentially someone else coming in.

Is he any better, or as good as, Rooney, Tevez, Manucho, Saha, Welbeck, and a potential striker coming in? Well, that question is obvious and doesn't need to be answered.

I hope he goes somewhere else. Low Premier League or Championship level preferably, but lower if he has to, where he can do well, and be appreciated.

Good luck to the guy.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Hey he can't leave yet. He'll come on in the Cl final and win us the game with a hat trick! :D

Hey, I can have dreams can't I?

·
23,699 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Hey he can't leave yet. He'll come on in the Cl final and win us the game with a hat trick! :D

Hey, I can have dreams can't I?
Sure you are entitled, mate. And let me help you along... :D

Many years later, you can tell your grandchildren this story, "Once upon a Dong..."

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
versa said:
Sure you are entitled, mate. And let me help you along... :D

Many years later, you can tell your grandchildren this story, "Once upon a Dong..."
All I can say is that if Bad Puns were a criminal offense that ^^ would get you consecutive life sentences. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts