Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the anderson, carrick, hargreaves, park, fletcher, giggsy etc midfield chopping and changing and actually go and buy two ready made replacements for KEANO and SCHOLES??? we have tried various partnerships and this season particularly has seen a lot of chopping and changing and various partnerships here and there.

central midfield is the ENGINE room of united and runs the game for us, we have always relied on a great midfield general who can boss the game , get stuck in ,yet also play a little and bag a few goals. next to him we have had the style, the guy playing passes all over the park, initiating great on-twos and unlocking oppositions defences at will. where are those guys now, haven't we failed in some way to replace the legends?

do we have too many average players in the centre where we really need two world beaters? have the newer players failed to come on as expected and fill ths shoes of there predesessors?

is it time to sell the deadwood and invest the cash in a couple of ready made stars?? or are the players here already good enough to step up to the plate in future? wouyld a fit hargo change things next to carrick for instance??:confused:

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
I`ll say, let`s stick to what we have. As far as i know they`re the same bunch as last season whom won us everything we could have ever wished for -and i personally don`t think they were that bad to be fair ..

Giggs has reinvented himself,
Scholes ain't that bad either as he can still perform a world class performance
Carrick is one of our best players this season ..
Park has been consistent whenever Fergie picked him,
Ronaldo knows he can do better than this, yet he has been our top scorer and i can`t argue about that fact,
I don`t know if i forgot anyone - I agree the others hasn`t been as consistent, and here we have to include both Nani and Anderson .. As many on here slate them, i`ll say that they are still young and they will improve tremendously in the upcoming years.

If we buy any other midfielders, we`ll have to wave bye to some others whom will have to leave as their chance of playing will be very minimal. And that is something i don`t want to see, not because of sentimental reasons .. But i believe they`re a talented bunch. Don`t forget, we had some new faces in our midfield these years and it takes time to adjust and see whose the most compatible and against which style of opponents they`ll do better, as they will improve from time to time or else will slow down a little bit, and might not be as consistent as other times. But all in all, no - we should stick with them, its pretty normal all this midfield chopping and changing.

In the past we had relied on great midfielders, that`s true - Keano, Giggsy, Scholes, Becks etc - We used to stick with them, year after year. But now, we are trying to replace these old faces (Giggs n Scholes) with new ones, and you just can`t compare these times with the past as we are converting the midfield with our new guns and those who are a lil bit more experienced, and that takes time, more than we think it does,
& they will do mistakes, some big ones too .. As bad as it sounds, they will only learn from them and eventually Fergie will see what`s best to the team.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I`ll say, let`s stick to what we have. As far as i know they`re the same bunch as last season whom won us everything we could have ever wished for -and i personally don`t think they were that bad to be fair ..

Giggs has reinvented himself,
Scholes ain't that bad either as he can still perform a world class performance
Carrick is one of our best players this season ..
Park has been consistent whenever Fergie picked him,
Ronaldo knows he can do better than this, yet he has been our top scorer and i can`t argue about that fact,
I don`t know if i forgot anyone - I agree the others hasn`t been as consistent, and here we have to include both Nani and Anderson .. As many on here slate them, i`ll say that they are still young and they will improve tremendously in the upcoming years.

If we buy any other midfielders, we`ll have to wave bye to some others whom will have to leave as their chance of playing will be very minimal. And that is something i don`t want to see, not because of sentimental reasons .. But i believe they`re a talented bunch. Don`t forget, we had some new faces in our midfield these years and it takes time to adjust and see whose the most compatible and against which style of opponents they`ll do better, as they will improve from time to time or else will slow down a little bit, and might not be as consistent as other times. But all in all, no - we should stick with them, its pretty normal all this midfield chopping and changing.

In the past we had relied on great midfielders, that`s true - Keano, Giggsy, Scholes, Becks etc - We used to stick with them, year after year. But now, we are trying to replace these old faces (Giggs n Scholes) with new ones, and you just can`t compare these times with the past as we are converting the midfield with our new guns and those who are a lil bit more experienced, and that takes time, more than we think it does,
& they will do mistakes, some big ones too .. As bad as it sounds, they will only learn from them and eventually Fergie will see what`s best to the team.

Antonio Valencia could be on his way to Old TRafford.......How can SAF deal with too many winger next season if this player really coming to ManUtd....Bad news for Nani...

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Hargreaves and Carrick are two excellent CMs and
should be regular first team players. Scholes, Anderson
and Rodrigo should get some games aswell, especially
in the case of injuries.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Antonio Valencia could be on his way to Old TRafford.......How can SAF deal with too many winger next season if this player really coming to ManUtd....Bad news for Nani...
Exactly, that`s what I`m talking about. They`re just rumours, i know, but everything is possible where money is concerned.
I just think it is too early to show the exist door to Nani, many will disagree, but another year will do. After that, we will see.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
This thread kinda blends in with the "Is Our Midfield Overrated" thread. I've said all i need to about our midfield there.
After this season i think the right choice would be to buy a top quality CM.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
I think next year when we have Hargo and Carrick fit they could form a formidable partnership with Hargo going box to box and Carrick spreading the balls to Ronaldo, Berba, Roo and co.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
two weeks ago we were the best thing since bread got sliced
now we are no better than championship fodder and all our players are gash
in a month they will all be demigods again --- the truth lies in the middle

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I think next year when we have Hargo and Carrick fit they could form a formidable partnership with Hargo going box to box and Carrick spreading the balls to Ronaldo, Berba, Roo and co.
i agree.
Carrick is still very under rated for my liking, when he's had an ok/bad game everyone notices, when hes had a cracker (often this season)not enough people have noted it.

Hargo will be like a new signing a new player:D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not knocking the guys we have as i still have a lot of faith in them and carrick i believe is gr8 and i'm still hoping he can get fit and in the team. main point really is that the old guard are at the end of the careers and the younger guys are still learning, with the eception of hargo think we may need to go and get someone at the very top of their game to bolster the options. unlike prevvious yrs we lack that world class player there while the other have players of that calibre in that position.

if hargo can get fit and carrick progress as he has been then there wouldn't be a problem, but for us at the highest levels thats still two if's.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
i agree.
Carrick is still very under rated for my liking, when he's had an ok/bad game everyone notices, when hes had a cracker (often this season)not enough people have noted it.

Hargo will be like a new signing a new player:D
Well lets hope so, because apparently its touch and go whether he returns the full fitness again. But if he does I'm fully with you and I think he'll be a breath of fresh air in our midfield.

If he does I also think him and Carrick could make a formidable partnership. With a system that would allow Hargo to cover while Carrick dictates at time from a more advanced position and thread in through balls and generally be creative. Or at other times letting Carrick dicate from the middle while Hargreaves gets box-to-box using his energy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
not at all, should we give up because of 2poor performances?its served us well for the past 2years, we need to stick with the boys, every1 has an off period/blip.

although nani?not fit to replace the man giggsy, need to look long term for the wing, park shows discipline but lacks the quality of a deadly winger, work horse but that can only be effective in certain games.

any suggestions for the long term?gareth bale for me, let the gaffer get hold of him and help develop him b4 retirement

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
the anderson, carrick, hargreaves, park, fletcher, giggsy etc midfield chopping and changing and actually go and buy two ready made replacements for KEANO and SCHOLES??? we have tried various partnerships and this season particularly has seen a lot of chopping and changing and various partnerships here and there.

central midfield is the ENGINE room of united and runs the game for us, we have always relied on a great midfield general who can boss the game , get stuck in ,yet also play a little and bag a few goals. next to him we have had the style, the guy playing passes all over the park, initiating great on-twos and unlocking oppositions defences at will. where are those guys now, haven't we failed in some way to replace the legends?

do we have too many average players in the centre where we really need two world beaters? have the newer players failed to come on as expected and fill ths shoes of there predesessors?

is it time to sell the deadwood and invest the cash in a couple of ready made stars?? or are the players here already good enough to step up to the plate in future? wouyld a fit hargo change things next to carrick for instance??:confused:
You've just described Owen Hargreaves.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
not knocking the guys we have as i still have a lot of faith in them and carrick i believe is gr8 and i'm still hoping he can get fit and in the team. main point really is that the old guard are at the end of the careers and the younger guys are still learning, with the eception of hargo think we may need to go and get someone at the very top of their game to bolster the options. unlike prevvious yrs we lack that world class player there while the other have players of that calibre in that position.

if hargo can get fit and carrick progress as he has been then there wouldn't be a problem, but for us at the highest levels thats still two if's.
I'm not going to say whether I agree or disagree with what you're saying. But the thing is, who could we bring in? The world is short of top class midfielders outside the top clubs.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
Hargreaves will be basically a new signing for us next season. Can't wait to see him back.

I think we're okay, yeah we've struggled as of late but our depth for the most part is pretty good.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Ummm...first off, exactly how many world class center mids are there available to buy? Please don't say Gareth Barry either. Just because he likes to hold hands with Stevie G. doesn't mean he has class on him.

Essien? Good luck getting him from Chelsea. Imagine the whining on here after Berbs 30 million price tag. Besides, we have the White Essien in Hargreaves, and he didn't suck it up in the first half of the CL final when playing out of position like Essien did. And secondly, if we buy Essien, I'm gonna throw the injury prone crap card all damn day since people think the same about Hargreaves. One serious injury does not make someone injury prone, many little crap injuries a la Saha makes one injury prone.

Alonso then since 'Pile want Barry and have Mascherano already? Nah, no thanks, Would rather have Hargreaves pace.

Muntari? Umm, Fletch out-worked him in Italy, so no.

So where are we going to buy someones as Scholes' and Keane's replacements?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Unless Fletcher can prove himself to be consistent, and improve his tackling, we need to find a partner for Carrick. Anderson is not good enough, and Hargreaves - while never had a chance to prove me either way - probably isn't either.

The replacement for Scholes? Well, instead of trying to buy someone, we mold Carrick into a more attacking role. Let's face it, he's the only person in the world right now who can pass like Scholes, and is within our reach. So then, we look for one defensive midfielder to fill Carrick's position. The only person I can think of right now is Barry...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts