Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mikael Silvestre could return to competitive action this week after a six-month injury layoff.

Sir Alex has revealed the Frenchman, who damaged cruciate knee ligaments against Everton in September 2007, could take part in United's Reserves clash with Manchester City on Thursday night.

“Mikael's training with the first-team now and he's coming along well,†Sir Alex told Manchester United Radio.

“It's mainly been no-contact stuff but he should play in the next Reserves game, along with Gary Neville.â€

The Reserves take on third-placed Manchester City at Northwich Victoria on Thursday 20 March (7pm).
it would be great if he gave us another option for the run-in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Perfect timing. Everyone is almost fit, just around the time we need them to. Our defense will be really strong with those 2 back. Makes a nice change from last season, where we had so many injuries at this point compared to virtually none now.
 

·
Proto-Hipster
Joined
·
46,959 Posts
Tweety

yeah silvestre is good pal as so as tweety he was keyplayer in the past years and almost 320 match and crucial 10 goals
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
198 Posts
both defenders are gona be rusty, i think we shuld stick with the current back 4, only use them in selective games. But it'd be a dilemma for us if we get to the Semis of the CL with both garry and Brown fully fit. Brown who has done so well at Rb, to be replaced by Garry Neville.. tough decision. brown will start but Garry will come later on if he ain't good enough.
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
NateR said:
Perfect timing. Everyone is almost fit, just around the time we need them to. Our defense will be really strong with those 2 back. Makes a nice change from last season, where we had so many injuries at this point compared to virtually none now.
Exactly what I was thinking.

The team performance in the San Siro last season was very disappointing but certainly wasn't helped by having a makeshift back 4. There are no excuses this time (fingers crossed I haven't just jinxed us :p ).
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
red_devils4life said:
For those of you who forget about Tweety's sweet delivery from the left, here's for ue mate


;)
i don't even have to watch it - for me he's always had a decent crosses and great overlaps
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
He's a liability. Poor defender, never rated him. He's only been at United for so long because he's so injury prone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Its great news for him that he is back and its always good to have back up
for the team, but Im afraid thats all Silvestre is, Back up......
His experience could come in handy but he will never get in ahead of the
first team regulars or even the likes of Brown, OShea, Pique or Simmo.
 

·
He wipes front to back
Joined
·
27,654 Posts
abojodeh said:
yeah silvestre is good pal as so as tweety he was keyplayer in the past years and almost 320 match and crucial 10 goals
i am concerned at the abuse of mind altering substances and the effects are clear for all to see in this post . just say no kiddo !!!:eek: :eek: and everyone knows hes skeletor and hes acquainted with he-man and sheera
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jazz 16 said:
Its great news for him that he is back and its always good to have back up
for the team, but Im afraid thats all Silvestre is, Back up......
His experience could come in handy but he will never get in ahead of the
first team regulars or even the likes of Brown, OShea, Pique or Simmo.
I don't agree - I think that he is at the same league as Brown, in fact I even rate him above Brown. I have a feeling people rate Brown only coz he's a local lad. If you want to say that Silvestre makes too many mistakes - Brown makes them too. but the thing is - Silvestre's mistakes "can be justified" by being played out of position ( he ' s a LB and he was being played as a Cb) while Brown makes them on his natural position - and that's a Cb. In fact - when Brown plays at the CB you could cut the tention at the back four with knife ( we all saw how derby pinned us down when rio was absent and with brown taking his place). He is just not the one you can relly on. Same with Mikael at the CB spot, and only at the CB spot. He's a solid LB imo, better than Brown is RB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
I don't agree - I think that he is at the same league as Brown, in fact I even rate him above Brown. I have a feeling people rate Brown only coz he's a local lad. If you want to say that Silvestre makes too many mistakes - Brown makes them too. but the thing is - Silvestre's mistakes "can be justified" by being played out of position ( he ' s a LB and he was being played as a Cb) while Brown makes them on his natural position - and that's a Cb. In fact - when Brown plays at the CB you could cut the tention at the back four with knife ( we all saw how derby pinned us down when rio was absent and with brown taking his place). He is just not the one you can relly on. Same with Mikael at the CB spot, and only at the CB spot. He's a solid LB imo, better than Brown is RB
I dont agree. Silvestre's favoured position is at CB and has played there
a lot for United. He formed a good partnership with Wes at the beginning and
then with Rio, but when Rio got his ban, it was back to the Brown/Silvestre
pairing and they were BOTH prone to errors.

Silvestre was slowing a bit and this injury will have no doubt slowed him even
further. I think Wes is a better full back then Silvestre and can play both sides
as well as the middle. I know you arent a fan of Brown's but you have to
admit he has had a great season this year and towards the end of last.
I know he makes the odd mistake but the rest of his game more than makes
up for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I Silvestre's favoured position is at CB and has played there
a lot for United.
I agree with that. A lot of people forget that just before Rio's ban, we had the best defensive record in the league. As well as that he has scored some vital goals for us, the two against Liverpool and the winner against Leeds in the 02/03 season come to mind.

He is 30 now and I know he is coming towards the back end of his career, but he can still be a good squad player for us. He is a natural left footed player who can play center back, or can slot in at left back to give the side balance when Patrice Evra isn't playing.
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
Evra hasn't had much rest this season. O'Shea has filled in for him a couple of times but Silvestre will give us another option on the left.

His preferred position is centre-back but I keep seeing his cross for Rooney's goal against Arsenal at Old Trafford a couple of seasons ago from the left and think he's a better replacement than O'Shea for a quality attacking full-back like Evra.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
RichardsReds said:
If Rio or Vidic gets injured, have Silvestre out will really hurt us.
Silvestre isn't third choice centre back.

That's Brown. With O'Shea, Simpson (or Neville) coming in at right back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
penalty giver silvestre is back, what is great about having him back? there is rio (another shaky player of late, and he wants to be future captain) and Vidic (great defender) and Pique on the bench. why is it that we need this guy? play him for the last 5 minutes so that he can get the premiership medal, and seeeeeeeeeelll him at the end of the season.

he is way past his expiry date
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top