Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was skipping through graham polls book the other day and looking at some rules he would like see implemented into the modern game- dont forget many of the rules we see today have been around since the dawn of time and have failed to adapt to the changing game- personally i think this is a good thing,i don't wanna see the game changed just for the sake of it.

however he talked about having a SIN BIN - mainly for offences that are dissent based, as he argued that often refs have to book players and sometimes this ends up as two yellows and a sending off, wheras for a dissent based booking a sin bin style punishment would suffice.

i'm a bit in two minds about this, i dont wanna see the game tampered with, however any interruption to play would be minimal with this punishment and it would also distinguish between actual fou-play and the dissent based problems we have seen creep into the game mor eover the last couple of decades.

it would also importantly punish players for dissent yet not ruin the game for them or us by possibly them going off, they would serve 10 mins on the side-lines then the fourth official could just usher them back on at an appropriate moment. player gets punished yet not overly so and everyone knows where they stand.

wazza at fulham would of been a prime example of this in use.

good idea- bad idea...any thoughts??

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
I like the idea.

It seems to work very well in rugby and doesn't slow down the game. There are a few other things I would like to see implemented in football. Bear with me lads.

The first would be only the captain has permission to talk to the ref. It's creeped in far too much lately, players up pressuring the ref to make a decision. The Vidic sending off against Liverpool would be an example. Chelsea and us of course are also widely known for doing it. It shows a total lack of respect and sportsmanship trying to intimdate refs this way. Running up to the ref, screaming at him isn't going to get you anywhere. Would like to see this rule introduced.

The other one, I wouldn't mind seeing introduced is an American Football one. It allows the coach of either team to challenge a ref's decision three times in half. It should be used for just key decisions, goals, penalties, sendings offs. Stuff like that. The refs make the decision and the managers can challenge it. They go to the tv match official and examine the decision and decide if the correct one is made.

Those are just a couple of things I would like to see introduced. Then again, it will totally change football and the controversy but I think it's the fairest method in both cases.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
scott - the sin bin idea has been floating around for a while now and I would absolutely appove of it in football.

peter - great suggestions and would welcome both too.

Let's start with goal-line technology and show the old heads that govern football that football fans are ready for change.

i'm kind of disappointed they haven't implemented hawk-eye technology yet when there was so much buzz about it at the end of 06/07.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
agree with sin bin but challenges must be limited to 1 a game ---- the trial in cricket recently showed this --challenges would really disrupt the flow if any more allowed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts