Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said it was a "big concern" after his side missed a whole host of chances in the 1-0 win over Middlesbrough on Monday.

United dominated at Old Trafford but could not score until Dimitar Berbatov finally broke the deadlock in the 69th minute after Michael Carrick's left-wing cross had bounced back off Boro defender David Wheater

The match statistics showed United had 25 chances and their failure to convert more into goals is a worry for Ferguson, who also saw his team win by the same margin at Stoke on Boxing Day.

"We missed a lot of chances and that is the big concern," he said.
Suffer

"If we can't take those chances we will suffer from it.

"But I think you have to see how well Middlesbrough played tonight. For a team in their position (one place above the relegation zone) it belies their ability."

Ferguson praised goal-scorer Berbatov, who replaced Boxing Day's match-winner Carlos Tevez after he returned to Argentina on a "family issue".

"He is a marvellous player and I thought he was absolutely superb for us. He took his goal well," said the United boss.

The win secured a vital three points for the champions who go into the New Year seven points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool with two matches in hand.

Well placed

Ferguson believes his side are well placed to push again for the title.

"We are in a good position come the turn of the year. We have two games in hand, both at home, and it is going to be a great run in," he said.

"The important thing is to do our own job, look after ourselves and we'll do okay."

·
Registered
488 Posts
My main concern is to win, as long as we stay near to the scoucers, I'm happy... Although we had been missing quite a few good chances, I was telling myself OMG!!! How did he (Park) miss that, like 5 feets away from the goal...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
dckyfoxes said:
My main concern is to win, as long as we stay near to the scoucers, I'm happy... Although we had been missing quite a few good chances, I was telling myself OMG!!! How did he (Park) miss that, like 5 feets away from the goal...
To be fair Ronaldo had a similarly shocking miss a few seasons ago. Think it was against Southampton.

But yeah...misses like that are truly shocking.

·
Registered
605 Posts
RedForceRising said:
To be fair Ronaldo had a similarly shocking miss a few seasons ago. Think it was against Southampton.

i remember that
it was giggs' pass

it was more shocking actuallly

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
well we are winning and for all this chances talk, we really are not creating much through the middle or as smart as we were last season. Nowhere near the efficiency or guile but i believe part of that is to do with park and fletcher and part with it being a new season, changes etc.

Im sure aslong as we keep winning players will hit form and sooner or later the goals will come.

pz!

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Finishing is a major concern this season, we create chances but the final touch is not there like last season. So I hope this will change because the next period is crucial for the title so we mustn't allow ourselves to miss chances especially against chelsea next month

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
He's not the only one. All the United fans inside Old Trafford were getting concerned about our missed chances until Berbatov scored. It has been a problem this season. We've not scored enough away from home and we haven't scored more than 1 goal in a league match since we put 5 past Stoke in mid-November.

Our next league game is against Chelsea and we're going to have to take our chances against them. Keep everyone behind for extra shooting practice before that game!!!

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Ive started a thread and in the thread I mentioned how I think a young Danny Wellbeck could be the kick up the arse the strikers need .

I dont think we need another striker we already have a great young player in the wings he is 18 now and deserves more outings .

If the older lads see a younger lad buzzing about trying his hardest wouldnt that lift them .

Berbatov may of scored last night but Im starting to wonder whether his lazyness is having a effect on out attacks . We seem to have one less player in the area everytime we get in there he takes ages to get forward .

That said I was screaming for us too sign him for 2 seasons so I do believe he has the class . But I do believe he needs to change his game to fit into our way of playing aswell.

·
Registered
675 Posts
marty davidson said:
Bit like Arsenal trying walk ball into the net
You read my mind ! haha.

United have been shocking these past weeks. but at then end of the day its these little 1 - 0 wins that will put us in a good title position. win our 2 games in hand and we go above chelsea,

forget liverpool, they'll crumble in time, they cant deal with the pressure of being top. ;) you just watch.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
To be fair Ronaldo had a similarly shocking miss a few seasons ago. Think it was against Sheffield United

Fixed that RFR ;)

But scoring is a real concern for me. We're missing a lot of chances and not scoring consistently. We are also trying to walk to ball into the net, which of course doesn't help.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Rooney,Berbatov,Ronaldo - Man utd is having problem to score goals !!!

I think SAF is giving a hint about Jan transfer. Hope not !

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Forever_United said:
You read my mind ! haha.

United have been shocking these past weeks. but at then end of the day its these little 1 - 0 wins that will put us in a good title position. win our 2 games in hand and we go above chelsea,

forget liverpool, they'll crumble in time, they cant deal with the pressure of being top. ;) you just watch.
utd have been shocking all season we have had 4 or 5 class performances from 30+ games , and if fergie does not sort this striker problem out in the transfer window {and he has said he is happy with the squad} then i cannot see where the goals will come from to defend our titles.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Berbatov may of scored last night but Im starting to wonder whether his lazyness is having a effect on out attacks . We seem to have one less player in the area everytime we get in there he takes ages to get forward .
I agree. Personally I don't give a damn about Berbatov's work rate, tracking back etc. But, his lack of urgency to get into the box and score goals is worrying. Every single one of his goals have been put on a plate for him, how often do you see him sprinting into the box to get on the end of a cross? This leaves us with no one in the box more often than not.

He can be as lazy as he wants defensively as far as I'm concerned, but he has to show hunger and urgency to get in the box and score goals, which he is not doing at the moment. Instead, hes standing still for corners waiting for the ball to deflect off 15 people and land on his right boot.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
We are creating chances, i honestly just feel we've been unlucky. Park and Ronaldo were both unlucky last night and if not for that the scoreline would have been 3-0. Every other season these chances would have hit the back of the net but this season seems to be cursed, we are playing teams off the park but just unlucky IMO, hopefully after the new year we can change that bad luck into goals.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i'd only ever be concerned if we wern't creating chances in the first place......every title winning team goes through lean patches, the key is to keep gettin results like we have.
i have been concerned by our arsenal habit recently, the why score straight away when you can add another pass, a back heel and an overhead kick to the mix.....if ole or ruud had of been playing now they would have soon sorted that out- always put the ball in the back of the net

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
i think we have done well considering park fletcher oshea and rafael played majority of the game !!!!

once we get scholes back full time the quality of the "chances" we get will improve .

most of missed chances last night were park or ronaldo and ronnie seems more concerned at treatment he gets than working on his game at the moment .

i also think we miss young wesley brown !!! rafael may go on runs but he then leaves big gaps others have to fill --- vidic had clearly had enough of it last night --- rafael needs to remember what his number 1 job is .

i know threads about finishing and ive gone off on a tangent but these things link together

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
haggler said:
i think we have done well considering park fletcher oshea and rafael played majority of the game !!!!

once we get scholes back full time the quality of the "chances" we get will improve .

most of missed chances last night were park or ronaldo and ronnie seems more concerned at treatment he gets than working on his game at the moment .

i also think we miss young wesley brown !!! rafael may go on runs but he then leaves big gaps others have to fill --- vidic had clearly had enough of it last night --- rafael needs to remember what his number 1 job is .

i know threads about finishing and ive gone off on a tangent but these things link together
I agree.........BASH RONALDOOO!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts