Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will probably be closed, and some mods will go on about how there are far too many threads about yesterday but I really need to get this off my chest.

Its really bugging me how, after a terrible performance yesterday, whenever anyone expresses their opinion about what went wrong etc, they are crucified for it.

Now, no words can describe the job that Sir Alex has done at Man Utd, and no words can describe how grateful we are and how much we love him. But that doesn't make him immune to criticism.

Yes, some of it goes far too far. Things like "Sir Alex is entirely too blame for yesterdays defeat" and "Sir Alex was completely wrong" are too far. Far too far in fact, and I can understand why people get annoyed by that and I too get annoyed for ridiculous statements like that.

Yes, it wasn't all his fault yesterday. But he did make mistakes as well, and we are as entitled to discuss them as much as VDS's mistake or Giggs' mistake.

However, some people who have posted constructive criticism have been crucified. Again, he isn't immune to criticism.

Some people claim he shouldn't get criticism because he doesn't step out onto the pitch and the performance is not his fault. These same people, however, continually praise him when things go right. But he doesn't go onto the pitch then either, does he?

If Sir Alex gets the praise for when things go right, then I see no reason why he shouldn't get some of the blame when things go wrong.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
M Carrick lost the ball to scouser and a cross was made a goal 1 1 so
why we are still groaning and moaning it the past now

we must concentrate on wed match
common UNITED

·
23,699 Posts
The saddest thing is to see some true-blue United fans being crucified when they raised their concerns and tried to criticise constructively after a poor performance. All because they care and do not choose to be indifferent or just merely hoping for a better tomorrow. Some may unwittingly become destructive rather than constructive but those are the exceptions rather than the norm.

On the other hand, being confronted with so-who-do-you-think-you-are, so-what-do-you-think-you-know, have-you-played-football etc statements make it personal and is destructive to the community spirit.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
We must concentrate? We are the fans not the players. How does us talking about yesterdays match which by the way is not that far in the past and still worthwhile talking about at the moment impact upon Wednesdays match?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would agree with you that Fergie is in no way immune from critism and should
be looked at just as much as the players when he makes mistakes. But there was
a real Fergie bashing event going on here last night and i felt compelled to defend
him more than critism him because of some peoples over the top reactions.
Starting a thread sayin it was totally his fault is ridiculous. I would of been
perfectly happy to critism his decisions yesterday and i did but he needed
defending when the critism went too far. I had no problem with people who
lumped Fergie in with the players on an all round bad day yesterday bt singling
him out for the sole one to blame was wrong and i stand by defending him on that.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
players must learn from their own err and im sure all of them got a lesson yesterday

we must convert our weakness to strength and not let us down with this match i know it so hard to accept defeat against scouser but we need to prove that we are not down just because we lost a match, we will try not to repeat this again and we will do all to win maximum match and at last bring our trophies home

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

(And thanks for the support :p)

RedMurph7 said:
a real Fergie bashing event going on here last night and i felt compelled to defend
him out for the sole one to blame was wrong and i stand by defending him on that.
I agree.

As I said some of the reactions were OTT and I can understand that side.

But there was some people who were saying he doesn't deserve any criticism, it completely wasn't his fault etc.

Now, being honest, this is an over the top reaction on the other side of the coin.

And there was some people who were being genuinely constuctive and concerned about the performance who were being harrassed and unfairly crucified. And as versa said, the reactions of "Have you ever managed a team?", "When did you become an expert?" etc etc were far too personal and were over the top reactions as well.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
abojodeh said:
Also Vandersar Rooney Vidic and Wes don't deserve criticism

especially the First one i mentioned
Abo mate VDS practially gave them their first goal!

Vidic got 2 yellows, both deserved.

Why should Vidic and VDS escape criticisms?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I did raise a thread about VDS being suspect on crosses and set pieces but it was something i noticed last season and from the last two games this season. I wasn't criticizing VDS just trying to get my point of view that VDS needs to improve on some basic attributes, and just wanted to see other peoples views. I understand people need to get out there opinions when things don't go right, but u r right. But i think when some threads are written, they don't mean to criticize but just to understand what went wrong.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Abo mate VDS practially gave them their first goal!

Vidic got 2 yellows, both deserved.

Why should Vidic and VDS escape criticisms?
VDS made 2 mistakes in 4 matches we should wait for him to get his form back every footballer have his good and bad days so 2 mistakes not a crime
also he made some saves

Vida have been our best player this season and our best defender
without we would have lost versus Newcastle

so lets show some little appreciation for our players

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
abojodeh said:
VDS made 2 mistakes in 4 matches we should wait for him to get his form back every footballer have his good and bad days so 2 mistakes not a crime
also he made some saves

Vida have been our best player this season and our best defender
without we would have lost versus Newcastle

so lets show some little appreciation for our players
Tevez has been our best player this season.

But thats for another thread ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Damn those mods! :D

To respond to several members who have posted on this thread - Fergie stands to be crucified too, there are no holy cows in footbal, save those dearly departed, but it's the manner in which it was done.

One really grated me were insinuations that Fergie told the boys not to hustle and play, as if it mattered. To know that, you would have had to been sat in the locker room and sine none of us were, I find it pretty disrespectful towards Fergie.

In addition, Fergie went with his best 11 players, all of whom are Internationals or retired Internationals and they sucked big time, except for Rio, who also had some shaky spells during the game.

Fergie could have fielded 4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-1-1-1-1--1, 2-2-6 and it would have matter not. The players had no fight and yet some are blaming Fergie for that.

Ronaldo was unfit, Giggs is past his prime, Nani is still proving his maturity and so against a combatative Liverpool side, decided to play his best 11 players, even if it meant playing some out of position and you know what? If it weren't for Edwin van dis sas-ter (i made that up mysef, thank you) and Giggsy not kicking the ball out for a corner, we might have won. Ugly, but we might have won.

How do people react? fergie made basic mistakes / it was entirely his fault / how can a manager with his experience tell the players to play basketball zonal marking / how come he didn't tell the player to hustle and hassle / i couldn;t believe it when I saw the line-up

Everybody knows better than Fergie ........

And the people who were ranting last night didn't just say it, they said it with fervor and in parts with real venom.

They can;t believe how stupid fergie is. Yep...our stupid Fergie.

*deep sigh*

Last night was my first time on here after a loss and it was eye-opening. I might do as Jazz did and avoid this place like the plague, but then again posts needed to be edited, because of the language that was used to describe Fergie's failings.

I don't what else to say.

·
23,699 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Last night was my first time on here after a loss and it was eye-opening. I might do as Jazz did and avoid this place like the plague, but then again posts needed to be edited, because of the language that was used to describe Fergie's failings.

May not be a bad thing afterall. It shows fans are passionate about their club, are genuinely upset and are sore losers because they care. I would be more upset if there is indifference instead. And forum is a very good outlet to vent their frustrations instead of their spouses or worse, children. :p

As long as it does not contravene any forum rule or become destructive of course.

You have said enough, mate. You deserve a good rest from managing a post-loss forum riot. :p
Ditto.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RedForceRising said:

To respond to several members who have posted on this thread - Fergie stands to be crucified too, there are no holy cows in footbal, save those dearly departed, but it's the manner in which it was done.

Sorry RFR. I tend to agree with you an awful lot, but I disagree with you in this situation.

Of course, there were some people like the one you described.

However, you can't tar everyone with that brush. There were people who posted constructively, and even they were crucified for "having the cheek to question Sir Alex" :rolleyes:

This is a forum, and if you can't express your opinion over what we think went wrong, what we think the manager done wrong and what we thought of the players performances, than god help us.

And as I said, Fergie is not immune to criticism.

·
Registered
376 Posts
RedMurph7 said:
Maybe the answer is to start a thread titled "what went wrong?" rather than "it's all fergie's fault". I for one didn't like the title of the thread I posted on but it was there so I posted on it. All this fergie stuff just gets in the way of looking at what happened. I'm not after heads myself , I 'm looking for somewhere to share my frustration and understand why it happens.

·
Registered
376 Posts
RedForceRising said:

One really grated me were insinuations that Fergie told the boys not to hustle and play, as if it mattered. To know that, you would have had to been sat in the locker room and since none of us were, I find it pretty disrespectful towards Fergie.
It seems to me that there is a pattern of play emerging in games away against decent/good teams. I am simply noticing it and commenting on it and saying it's not the way to go. It's a tactical observation regarding work rate and pressure on the ball. I think what we do is sit back to much and invite pressure when we don't have the ball.

It's not easy you know sticking your neck out because you just know that there's a brigade out there who are ready to jump on you because they think you have got fergie's head on a stick or something.

The most interesting thing is that many of the posts attacking me and my ilke lack any comments on tactics or really address the issue. If you think I am wrong then tell me why , but don't just say I'm wrong because I'm some "fergie basher" . Tell me WHY my observation is wrong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts