UEFA Champions League:
UEFA Super Cup
: 1992
UEFA Cup Winners Cup:
Inter-Continental Cup:
FA Charity / Community Shield:
1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007
Joint holders: 1990

Sir Alex Ferguson is the most successful manager in British football history – winning 18 major trophies during his time in charge of the Reds. Yet despite almost two decades at the Old Trafford helm he remains focused on increasing that tally, bringing yet more silverware to Manchester United.

The Reds boss enjoyed a playing career north of the border that saw him take in spells with Queen's Park, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Glasgow Rangers, Falkirk and Ayr United. But it is not for his playing of the game that Sir Alex was to become a success.

Following a spell out of the game he moved into coaching, taking up the role of manager of East Stirlingshire, St Mirren then Aberdeen. It was his time at Pittodrie where he earned his reputation as a top coach. He broke the Glasgow dominance of Scottish football to lead Aberdeen to three Scottish titles, four Scottish cups, one League Cup and one European Cup Winners’ Cup.

Following the sacking of Ron Atkinson as manager of Manchester United, the Old Trafford hierarchy moved quickly for his services. They got their man on 6 November 1986.

Ferguson inherited a dispirited team of underachievers who had consistently, to their supporters’ discontent, failed to break Liverpool’s domination. Stuck in the bottom four of the Division One table, Ferguson immediately set about attempting to stave off the very real threat of relegation. Without resorting to the transfer market, he guided United up the table to and eleventh place finish.

By now it was clear to Ferguson that he faced a major job in turning the club around. United were an entertaining side but one that seemed unable to cope with the more physical aspects of League football. In his second season the Reds fared better finishing second behind Liverpool, but the position painted a false picture. The turning point came in the 1989/90 season.

Following a run of games in which the Reds were drawn away in every round, United picked up their first silverware of the Ferguson era. Lee Martin scoring the only goal in a final replay against Crystal Palace to in the FA Cup.

This first trophy opened the flood gates. The European Cup Winners’ Cup was won the following season in Rotterdam, Barcelona defeated 2-1 thanks to a brace from Mark Hughes. Then in 1991/02 the League Cup was added to United’s list of honours.

Sadly the title remained elusive. It was the Holy Grail to United fans, the 26 championships free years being exacerbated by Liverpool’s dominance of the domestic and European game.

In 1992/93 the long wait for the League championship came to an end. The Reds, inspired by £1m signing Eric Cantona, pipping Aston Villa in the final weeks of the season.

The shackles were broken: the double followed in 1993/94, the double-Double (with ‘kids’) in 1995/96, and another title in 1997. Finally United were matching off-field might with on-field success. Liverpool’s dominance was well and truly over.

Sir Alex’s greatest achievement came in 1998/99. No side before or since has achieved a treble haul of Premiership title, FA Cup and European Cup. On an unforgettable night in Barcelona his decision to throw on substitutes Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer assured history was made. The pair scoring injury-time goals to win the Champions League and complete the treble.

Ferguson was knighted following that success and some suggested he should retire, believing his desire would wane following the realisation of a dream. Not a bit of it. Another title followed in 1999/2000 and he made it three-in-row in 2000/01. His eighth Premiership duly arrived in 2002/03; his fourth FA Cup a year later came against Millwall in Cardiff.

The Reds had by now entered a period of rebuilding. The side of homegrown players he’d first put together in 1995/96 was now breaking up and he’d recruited new stars like Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo, brought in to spark a new era of success.

The rebuilding paid off with victory in the Carling Cup in 2005/06 and a ninth Premiership trophy in 2006/07. And the success looks set to continue, with Sir Alex swooping for three players - FC Porto's Anderson, Sporting Lisbon's Nani and Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves - in May 2007 to bolster an already strong side.

With the Premiership back at Old Trafford, the attention now will turn to Europe where Sir Alex hopes to win his second Champions League trophy in 2007/08.

According to the Guardian this week, Sir Alex Ferguson revealed that he might leave his post in the next three years, but a fully deserved retirement was on the cards at some point, and Manchester United will be forever in debt to his contributions and glorious success over the last 23 years. He will forever live in legendary status, not just for every Manchester United fan but in world football.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
he is truly a great manager and he has done a wonderful....no....absolutely terrific job for us and i am sure that no one will doubt that(even the opposition fans)
he made the united team who we are now......
Is there a way both threads can be merged?
ask a mod versa

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
2 greatest managers of all time, sir alex ferguson and sir matt busby. Man United lives with them, they will be remembered as long as man utd exists

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
the greatest manager that has ever lived , period.
i am sure he will add lots more trophies to his total before he calls it a day, i hope its another couple of champions league trophies , thats all he needs in an otherwise perfect reign at old trafford

·
Registered
75 Posts
Someone change the 23 years to 21, please. Why it needed length of tenure after quoting his appointment date, I don't know.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i'm scared we'll do a chelsea and drop a couple places when fergie leaves, just like mourinho did.

who do you guys think will be his successor? Queiroz ?

·
Banned
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No retirement date for boss on Manutd.com

Sir Alex Ferguson is refusing to put a timescale on any potential retirement, despite reports in the press that he will quit in three years.

The manager was quoted in the UK press as saying “maybe three more years, then I'll finishâ€. But he was less committed to a specific date when asked about his intentions at his Friday press briefing at Carrington.

“I'm not putting a time limit on it, it's impossible,†he told reporters. "You never know what happens in life.

“It's something I have said for quite a while. If you are fit and healthy and enjoying your job, then who knows? Two, three, maybe four years, it's difficult to pigeon-hole myself on that one.â€

Sir Alex, of course, did plan to retire in 2002, but went back on his decision. The boss admitted that pre-announcing his retirement had an affect on the team, and in February 2002 agreed to stay in charge for at least another three years.

He is currently on a rolling one-year contract, and with a promising outlook at Old Trafford - both this season and in the short-term future - the United boss shows no sign of retiring any time soon.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sir Alex Ferguson is Manchester United. I find it hard to imagine United without Fergie on the sideline chewing away. Quite possibly the greatest manager in English football history, Manchester United history, and Football history. The day he retires will be a sad sad day. A living legend if ever there was one.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I can't imagine a Man Utd without Sir Alex. He started coaching Man Utd the same year i was born.
Its hard to imagine it. Sir Alex is the best manager in the world, and one of the greatest ever.
I can't ever even begin to express my gratitude to Sir Alex for all he has done for Man Utd, words could not describe it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Spot on. Fergie has done the business at United for a long time now, not that I'm calling you old or anything :eek:

But seriously couldn't have put it better myself :)

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
i will respond to the word appreciation .

i appreciate that after 26 years he bought the title back to o/t
then a double then a double double then a treble .

then rebuild and more trophies then ronaldo rooney tevez the new holy trinity

and who knows whats next ?

i go into depression when we lose so i spent half the seventies and all 80s miserable .

last 21 years have been mainly smiles all the way . why ? fergie plain and simple

1 - 18 of 18 Posts