Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIR Alex Ferguson celebrates 21 years in charge of Manchester United this week and shows no sign of slowing down.

At 65, most people settle into retirement and look forward to a quiet life but Ferguson remains at the top of his profession and has every intention of staying there.

In the last few days alone, the iron-willed Scot has shown his footballing fire and passion, so evident in two trophy-laden decades at Old Trafford, burn as brightly as ever.

In the aftermath of Saturday's heavyweight clash at Arsenal, he launched an immediate offensive at referee Howard Webb and was clearly angry his side had conceded a late equaliser.

Details of Ferguson's team-talks have seeped out over the years and it would certainly be no surprise if the infamous hairdryer came out in the Emirates Stadium's away dressing room.

United may be champions and again playing some outstanding football but still he is not satisfied.

There have been nine Premier League titles, five FA Cups and a Champions League win but no let-up.

Relentless

It is this single-minded focus and relentless determination to succeed, combined with an ability to command respect and cajole the best from players, that has made him such a formidable manager.

He has never shied from difficult decisions and seldom been afraid to remove players he has seen as disruptive, no matter how much controversy those decisions have caused.

Paul McGrath, Paul Ince, David Beckham and Ruud van Nistelrooy are just a few of the huge stars who have fallen foul of Ferguson and they may not be the last.

Ferguson has let little get in his way in his pursuit of glory and, after turning around a hugely-underachieving side and maintaining a place at the top for so long, few can argue with his methods.

There have been times when his superiority has faced a challenge, but each time he has risen to it and, arguably, come back stronger.

Blackburn briefly deposed United in the mid-1990s, the Arsenal of Arsene Wenger have been recurring rivals and most recently Chelsea have taken charge.

Yet Ferguson never gives in and United's achievement in holding off the filthy-rich Blues to win the Premier League last season perhaps ranks as one of his greatest.

It is a remarkable tale of longevity and, with United challenging for more honours, there are more chapters to be written yet.

A relative lack of European silverware is perhaps the only imbalance on Ferguson's record.

One European Cup Winners' Cup and one fortuitous Champions League win compares unfavourably with some of the continent's other managerial greats.

It is something he is determined to put right, as evidenced by a number of near misses, and even if he does, he seems unlikely to stop there.

Is Fergie the greatest manager ever?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
i never forget fergie's anniversary as his 1st game in charge versus oxford was on the 8th november 1986 which was also my 10th birthday :0) the best present i've ever had

congrats fergie! i hope your still around for my 40th :0) and i hope i am for that matter

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Sir Alex Ferguson: Factfile

SIR Alex Ferguson celebrates 21 years at the Old Trafford helm this week with his
squad looking as strong as ever.

Here is a look back at the key dates in the United boss's glittering career to date.

1941: Born December 31 in Govan, Glasgow.

1957: Joins Queen's Park as amateur while apprentice toolmaker in Glasgow
factory.

1960: Joins St Johnstone as part-timer.

1964: Quits toolmaking and joined Dunfermline.

1967: Moves to Rangers for £65,000.

1969: Another move, this time to Falkirk, for £20,000.

1973: Joins Ayr, returning to part-time ranks while running his Glasgow pub.

1974: Appointed manager of East Stirling in September, but moves to St Mirren
three months later.

1978: Sacked by St Mirren and appointed at Aberdeen as successor to Billy McNeill.

1980: First managerial honour as Aberdeen win Scottish championship.

1982: Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup beating Rangers 4-1.

1983: Aberdeen retain Scottish Cup, this time beating Rangers 1-0, and defeat
Real Madrid 2-1 in Gothenburg to lift European Cup Winners' Cup.

1984: Aberdeen win League and Cup double, beating Celtic 2-1 in the Cup final.
Ferguson awarded OBE.

1985: Appointed caretaker manager of Scotland following death of Jock Stein
during Wales v Scotland World Cup qualifier.

1986: Scotland bow out of Mexico World Cup after first round. Ferguson leaves
Aberdeen to take over at Manchester United after sacking of Ron Atkinson.

1989: Breaks British transfer record to sign Gary Pallister for £2.3million from
Middlesbrough.

1990: First trophy at Old Trafford as United beat Crystal Palace 1-0 in an FA Cup
final replay after a 3-3 draw.

1991: United beat Barcelona 2-1 in Rotterdam to win Cup Winners' Cup.

1992: European Super Cup arrives at Old Trafford as United beat Red Star
Belgrade, while first League Cup triumph booked with 1-0 defeat of Nottingham
Forest. Championship dream dies as Leeds overhaul United in final weeks of the
season.

1993: Old Trafford's 26-year wait for title is ended as United finish 10 points clear
of Aston Villa to win inaugural Premier League title; Signs Roy Keane from
Nottingham Forest for British transfer record £3.75million.

1994: United become only sixth team to complete championship and FA Cup
double.

1995: Breaks British transfer record again to sign Andy Cole from Newcastle for £
7million; United finish runners-up to Blackburn in the league and Everton in the FA
Cup.

1996: United become the first club ever to complete the championship and FA Cup
double twice, overcoming one-time runaway leaders Newcastle in the
Premiership and then beating Liverpool 1-0 at Wembley.

1997: Claims fourth championship title in five seasons.

1998: Finishes season trophyless as Arsenal win double.

1999: Leads United to the treble of European Cup, Premiership and FA Cup;
Knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

2000: Guides United to a sixth Premiership title, finishing the campaign 18 points
clear of Arsenal.

2001: Wins seventh title in nine years; Breaks British transfer record twice in year
to sign Ruud van Nistelrooy for £19million and then Juan Sebastian Veron for
£28.1million.

2002: Changes plans to retire to sign a new three-year deal as United manager;
United finish outside top two in Premier League for first time.

2003: Involved in dressing room bust-up with star player David Beckham, who it
emerges was cut in the face by a boot kicked by Ferguson in frustration; Courts
controversy by claiming Champions League draw is fixed; United win title again;
Launches a legal action against major United shareholder John Magnier over stud
rights to top racehorse Rock of Gibraltar.

2004: Win FA Cup with victory over Millwall in final; Signs Everton star Wayne
Rooney for a fee which could rise to £27million.

2005: United lose FA Cup final to Arsenal on penalties.

2006: Wins the League Cup for only the second time thanks to a 4-0 thrashing of
Wigan.

2007: Wins first Premier League title for four years but United are denied the
double after FA Cup final defeat to Chelsea.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fergie is Mr Manchester United! The club wouldnt be where it is today if not for Sir Alex, He has been the rock behind this club! I cant imagine Fergie not in the driving seat, I am dreading the day that comes!

To be a manager of a World Class team for 21years and have had the success he has...........well there is no words to describle that!

No manager will ever be a World Class team for 21years, I can see that happening again! Managers ever be at a club for that long nowadays, Let alonea club as massive as United!

Fergie I'm 22years old and i was in nappies when you took the regins United and when i think back my earliest memory i think i was 3-4 i just think that everyday of my life since that you have been manager of Manchester United and i think that is unbelieveable and i hope that you will be the manager for as long as possible, Fergie you have a special place in all our hearts!

Thank you for all the memories so far! Heres to another 21years Fergie!

WE SALUTE YOU SIR ALEX!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Sir Alex took control at United, when i was only 5 months old.

Greatest Manager ever, i only wish he had youth on his side, so he could manage us another 20 years.
Sir Alex, greatest manager ever, Long Live Sir Alex!!!! :D

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Jesus......

When people say how old they are when he takes over at United it makes you realise just how long the man has been doing this job !!

I was little girl 2 years only when he started !!

When I think of all the things I have done in my life since I was 2 years it just seems like forever !!

I have only ever known United with Fergie and I think I dont want this to ever change :(

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Yeah tell me about it. When i first heard he was going to retire all those years ago, i was devastated. I dread the day when it does happen. :(

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
LMFAO.......

Fergie gives 21 years of his life to United and inspires Skele to a one word response.......

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........:eek:
lol...... I would,but my english sometimes sound like a policeman from TV show Alo,Alo:eek:
BTW nice chronological post;)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Skele said:
lol...... I would,but my english sometimes sound like a policeman from TV show Alo,Alo:eek:
BTW nice chronological post;)
your english is pretty good man, i'm english, 30 years old, and i've never used the word-*chronological* :eek:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
andycole9 said:
your english is pretty good man, i'm english, 30 years old, and i've never used the word-*chronological* :eek:
cool,today you have learn some new word.this forum realy makes a miracle:D
BTW-I didn't know how to say this,but I was thinking whan I wrote chronological- somebodies act during time step by step,just like carly was wrote about fergie!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Skele said:
cool,today you have learn some new word.this forum realy makes a miracle:D
BTW-I didn't know how to say this,but I was thinking whan I wrote chronological- somebodies act during time step by step,just like carly was wrote about fergie!!
yea your right, you don't know how to say it :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts