Manchester United Talk banner

Sir Alex Ferguson sets retirement date

3K views 45 replies 31 participants last post by  akash_reds 
#1 ·
Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed to family and friends that he intends to retire - at the end of next season.

The 66-year-old Manchester United boss even considered walking away this summer if United clinched a Premier League and Champions League double.

A Ferguson confidant revealed: "He has made up his mind to leave inside the next two seasons and has discussed the decision with his wife Cathy and the family."
The scene is set for Fergie to retire in the summer of 2009.

He is adamant he will not publicly set a date for his departure but on the subject of retirement he confirmed: "I have a plan, there's no question about that."

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/04/20/sir-alex-ferguson-sets-retirement-date-98487-20389058/

:( Just the thought of the inevitable makes me go OH NO!

See less See more
#5 ·
marty davidson said:
HE sayed he would retire b 4 and did not. Dont believe wat the papers say
Yes he changed his mind before. But the man is born 1941 so he'll turn 67 at the end of this year. The day he's had enough will come rather we want it or not. So one of these days the newspapers will be right about his retiring. Maybe this time even....

#10 ·
That will put an end to an important chapter in the Manchester United history.

There's no question he's the best manager in the history of football. I'm a big fan of him personally but that's life. He'll have to leave sooner or later. I think that the next couple of seasons. He sucessfully built the current team and passing it over to the coming manager will of course assist him in his first few seasons. That decision will definatly benefit the club's future.

#12 ·
Jodz said:
That will put an end to an important chapter in the Manchester United history.

There's no question he's the best manager in the history of football. I'm a big fan of him personally but that's life. He'll have to leave sooner or later. I think that the next couple of seasons. He sucessfully built the current team and passing it over to the coming manager will of course assist him in his first few seasons. That decision will definatly benefit the club's future.
best manager alongside the GOD of football that is Sir Matt Busby. but i think were gona have to be prepared for his leaving, it throughly frightens me to think of him going, so i preparing myself for average 3rd or 4th place finishes.

remember we've had him for 20+ years. once he leaves, who kno's how the team would play? i just hope quieroz stays 2nd man, at least he knows fergies tactics and approach to the game.

am gonna stop before i cry :( :p

#15 ·
What he said:
Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping that European glory will put the foundations in place for future success at Old Trafford. The Manchester United boss takes his side to Barcelona on Wednesday for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final.

Having taken the trophy just once, back in 1999, during a glittering career at Old Trafford, Ferguson is convinced that his exciting young squad can claim a memorable double this season.

If the Red Devils do emerge victorious at home and abroad, their manager has revealed that the pieces have now been put in place to ensure that the club continues to pick up silverware long after he has gone.

Improvement

"My ultimate fulfilment at United was in 1999," Ferguson said in The People.

"My issue is now more of a club thing than a personal goal.

"By that I mean trying to improve our record on all fronts and maintaining that success and creating that continuity.

"When I leave there has to be a continuity and we have built towards that with a squad that can stay together for a long time.

"Apart from Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs the ages of this squad are good.

Stability

"The balance of ages and positions is good, se we have longevity in this club, and that is an ongoing part of the success at United.

"I have an exit plan because there have been clubs in the past who have not recognised the need for change in their clubs and they suffer for it.

"We try and stay a step ahead and that's one reason we've put players like Michael Carrick and Rio Ferdinand on longer contracts.

"That gives us stability and these players gather the experience to be replacing the Giggsys and Scholesys in the future.

Enthusiasm

Ferguson is also adamant that his current squad possess the same never-say-die attitude which encapsulated the 1999 Treble winning group.

"Like 1999, this team still has that ability to win matches in the closing minutes," he said.

"That comes from the determination of the players and the expectation that forces them to go beyond the line so many times.

"That's not an accident, because we have the right players. The type of players who have good temperament, quality with a good enthusiasm to play."

#16 ·
Keano! said:
Where was this found.

Rubbish this is! Same old rubbish paper talk. Pfft!

Nothing on BBC/SkySports/manutd.com/Setanta...etc
got to face up to fact he is gonna be retiring soon. He may be taking up the post of Great British coach at 2012 Olympics.

What worries me is when Brian Clough retired, Forest was a top club fighting for honours. Now look at them.

#17 ·
antdevil78 said:
got to face up to fact he is gonna be retiring soon. He may be taking up the post of Great British coach at 2012 Olympics.

What worries me is when Brian Clough retired, Forest was a top club fighting for honours. Now look at them.
I understand you mate, but what I'm getting at, is that he seems and said before that
he has at least 3 more seasons in him.

But, I'd say he knows when he'll call it a day and that day will be one of the
toughest of mine, for a long, long time.....

#20 ·
Known fact for ages that it was most likely he will retire after that date. We need to win the European Cup before he leaves.

I honestly think post-Fergie will never be successful as it was in the Fergie-era. Even though this squad is particulary younger, the post-Matt barron years some how could replicate themselves to some extent.

A very small part of me hopes United do become an unsuccessful team for a while. Get rid of the JCL glory-hunter idiots (use of a stronger word needed :rolleyes: ) that have polluted and wrecked out support for since 1993, and particulary 1999. I'm ashamed to admit that.

Anyway.....

EVERY SINGLE ONE US LOVES ALEX FERGUSON, OH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, LOVES ALEX FERGUSON.

#23 ·
Stephen said:
Known fact for ages that it was most likely he will retire after that date. We need to win the European Cup before he leaves.

I honestly think post-Fergie will never be successful as it was in the Fergie-era. Even though this squad is particulary younger, the post-Matt barron years some how could replicate themselves to some extent.

A very small part of me hopes United do become an unsuccessful team for a while. Get rid of the JCL glory-hunter idiots (use of a stronger word needed :rolleyes: ) that have polluted and wrecked out support for since 1993, and particulary 1999. I'm ashamed to admit that.

Anyway.....

EVERY SINGLE ONE US LOVES ALEX FERGUSON, OH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, LOVES ALEX FERGUSON.
agreed completley. i cant stand them "United fans are gloryhunters" type. change could actually be good for the club. the prices wud drop. the daytrippers would stop. real fans could get in instead. the atmosphere would be MASSIVE !.

#24 ·
Fergie Retirement Talk Played Down

Source: TeamTalk

Manchester United have played down reports that their current manager Sir Alex Ferguson is finally set to call time on his illustrious career in 2009.

The date of Ferguson's retirement has frequently been the subject of intense speculation since his initial U-turn six years ago.

Ferguson himself is not interested in discussing the matter, maintaining the stance that as long as he is enjoying the job and remains fit and healthy, he will continue.

Only once has he expressed any irritation over the subject being an issue of public debate, when he accused those suggesting he might quit of trying to railroad him into retirement. Since that time, which came more than 12 months ago, the 66-year-old's inquisitors have tended to steer clear of the matter altogether.

And United have responded to the new rumours in their usual manner.

While they accept one day someone is bound to get the date of Ferguson's departure correct, they insist no concrete plans are in place for the Scot to end his remarkable stint at Old Trafford, which is now three years into its third decade.

"We get this every year," reflected a club official.

It would hardly seem the sort of topic Ferguson has any time to consider at the present time.

Following Saturday night's late equaliser at Blackburn, United head into Saturday's table-topping clash with Chelsea three points ahead of their nearest rivals, boasting a better goal difference and just three matches to go.

However, before that, the Red Devils face the mouth-watering prospect of a Champions League semi-final with Barcelona on Wednesday, United's first visit to the Nou Camp since their epic victory over Bayern Munich in 1999, which remains Ferguson's only triumph in the competition.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1778_3449835,00.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.