Manchester United Talk banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
the man is wot legends are made of,wot scares me is when he,s gone who do we get in his place when he has gone.....
id stick with a english speaking boss steve coppell comes to mind or sparky,some other ones that come to mind....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't see us winning the league next season lads, I think we all know how much luck was needed last time round. The signings we've made are unprooven and I think certain members of the squad will strugle big time.

Sorry to be negative - just being realistic.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Northern Monkey said:
I can't see us winning the league next season lads, I think we all know how much luck was needed last time round. The signings we've made are unprooven and I think certain members of the squad will strugle big time.

lol
Man, you realy are a joker. you're not being realistic. My old mans a Chelsea fan and even he reckons UTD are the favs to win the EPL next season. Especially with Chelsea's main priority is again gonna be the champ league, Jose knows he's more than likely out of a job if he fails to win it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't forget the quiet man, Carlos Queirez...he's the only employee the SAF willing to hired twice in his managerial career. Sure he got something...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Northern Monkey said:

Thats a very pessamistic view piont mate. im glad the manager and players are more positive.
we werent lucky, we were clearly the best and everyone knows it!

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Carlos Queiroz will take over from SAF. I think hes been good and will continue Fergies legacy. I hope Steve Copell comes to manage United. Ex United player, very very good manager.

·
Registered
9 Posts
He has done well & I think it's time for him to go. You have lost some very good players, which have fallen out with him. Your replacement ? Hard act to follow.
Livepool Supporter

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Justice said:
Carlos Queiroz will take over from SAF. I think hes been good and will continue Fergies legacy. I hope Steve Copell comes to manage United. Ex United player, very very good manager.
I wouldnt like that - he's at his best as the number 2 imo.......he struggled as head coaxh at Real

·
Registered
406 Posts
Red but not Dead said:
He has done well & I think it's time for him to go. You have lost some very good players, which have fallen out with him. Your replacement ? Hard act to follow.
Livepool Supporter
I'm fed up with all the stuff about Sir Alex drove this player out or Fergies ego made him sell that one and Fergie made the wrong move Isn't he the Boss? Isn't it up to him to look after the clubs welfare? That being the case this is a team game The Manager is responsible for the team not just the individual The argument that no individual especially Sir Alex is bigger than the club doesn't hold up Someone has to take control Someone has to be the one who puts up his hand and say "I'm in charge I make the rules If you don't like it go to another club"

If people think SAF is to arrogant is it because they don't understand the role of the Manager? Ok so how did some of the managers of past successful teams do it

Shankly : When he was at Anfield he ran the place like boot camp Every player in the first team was paid the same wage No player was better or worse than anyone else The club came first and Shankly never let anyone forget it If players turned up late for training they got fined Twice in one week you got dropped Plus he was fanatical about the clubs image Peter Wall an upcoming shining star was selling dodgy shirts to other players Shankly found out and rounded up everyone, even the reserve and youth teams He paraded Peter in front of them called him a "spiv" and a gigilo And sold him to Crystal Palace before the day was out for basically nowt He reckoned Gerry Byrne who was fond of the odd pint or two wasn't living a proper healthy life as befitting an athlete So What did Shankly do? Took away his car keys and bought him a bicycle and made him peddle to training! St John asked for more money saying he was worth more than the other players He spent 6 weeks in the reserves. You should read Tommy Smiths book The whole thing is about Shankly Smithy never talks about himself only "Shanks" Except to mention Matt with great reverence The thing is the young players looked at Bill as a father figure and went the extra mile for him Paisley carried on this formula on when he took over One of the things about the Liverpool sides of that era was their almost regimental discipline The fact that Tommy Smith and Emlyn Hughes had a monumental falling out after the captaincy was taken from Smith and given to Hughes and resulted in neither man ever speaking to the other ever again It was a testament to the professionalism instilled in the players of that team that they both never let this effect the team on or off the pitch In fact it only came to light properly after Emlyns death. I met Ian Callaghan here in Australia just after the transfer of Ray Clemence to Spurs. Story was Clemence had been messing around with another players wife And not a first team player either Sold him!!

Brian Clough : Can you imagine Posh arriving with him around? He ruled Derby and Forest with an iron fist Any player who came into his office had to stand until he told them to sit down He threatened to step outside with Dave MacKay after he found he'd been boozing the night before a game Then dropped him and branded him a coward because he wouldn't fight him Cloughie said later "He was in a no-win situation If he had won the fight I'd have fined him a weeks wages" Colin Todd bought himself an E-Type Cloughie drove with him back to the dealer and Colin ended up with a Ford Cortina A certain Derby man who was the smallest goalkeeper in the league at that time told of how he got dragged into Cloughs office to be hauled over the coals after a bad spell between the sticks On the way out of the office another player made the mistake of telling Cloughie he should been sterner with the culprit Result = Free transfer to a London club (I'm sure a couple of you will pick up who it was) OK Cloughie was a sergeant-major figure but even so everyone knew the score After his signs of "Gentlemen Please mind your language" Failed to stop the swearing from the Trent End he tried to get it shut down!!

Matt and Jimmy : The original good cop - bad cop We know Jimmy Murphy was the enforcer But Matt didn't stand any nonsense Ask Denis Law! That is a wonderful story Denis tells and how Matt had the statement prepared for him to give to the press But as you all know the halls at Old Trafford have quite a few epitaphs of players who pushed their luck A certain Graeme Moore got permission to have a week off during the season to get married He returned to find himself sold The middle Pearson of the drainpipe trousers fame didn't reign too long after Matt returned from Munich OK Many people say Matt was too soft with Bestie He got Special treatment but as Matt says "Yes I suppose he did But then again he was a special player. What were we supposed to do Take him out and shoot him?" Point is I think Matt handled the George Best saga better than anyone else could or did It was a mark of respect that neither Bestie nor Matt would ever allow any criticism of the other by anyone. A classic example is the team of 1964-1968 There is no way that should have existed Everyone was captain you had eleven individuals one of whom shouted and screamed at every other player on the pitch We had a couple of the most volatile players ever as far as a thump first then get the ref attitude One particular player carried on like the court jester Yet they came together as a sublime free flowing unit That was because despite what appeared on the surface you had this incredibly well disciplined, well oiled machine who each knew their own and each others limitations and the role they had They didn't get this from talking about it over a couple of pints down the boozer. It came from Matt and Jimmy Good cop bad cop

There are numerous examples of the same thing Look at Catterick He lived in Shanks' shadow Yet his Everton team was another wonderful footballing unit of skill and fluidity Who qiute often had the upper hand over their rivals It always seemed poor Harry was insignificant in comparison But even hard case Johnny Morrissey wouldn't cross Catterick! Like Kean, Brian Labone was Cattericks voice on the pitch Alan Ball said about how after each match Catterick and Labone went into a corner, and next thing a player would be called out and as Bally said "Whatever went on was never discussed but it wasn't nice" Alan balls exit to Arsenal wasn't the shock to Everton fans like it was to the rest of us Seems our Alan had got a bit to big for the boots Harry provided him with Do you think that Wenger walks in and sees his players spanking each other in the shower he just replies "I didn't see that" No of course not He joins in NO No Sorreee sorreee Bad example

OK I know the game may have changed and a few of the examples are more for their humour value than anything else But the game hasn't changed that much were we don't need one man at the helm who is unshakeable in his belief that his formula, that is tried and trusted, is the right one Times and players may have changed but the values haven't The players priority is to the Club, Manager and the Fans The person who keeps the team ticking is the Gaffer He cannot upset the the team to appease one player or bend to a players whim because he's a fans favourite Also his authority cannot be challenged by an individual player Once upon a time any player publishing a book had to get it approved by the club Can you imagine one of the top men at Microsoft publishing a book and slamming Bill Gates and exposing secrets of the inner sanctum? He would be out of a job quick smart

The code of discipline and professionalism at United is a lot tougher than many people think Teddy Sherringham talks about his time with us "United were amazing, you really had to have balls to play up there" Sir Alex has a job to do and if some player like Ruud is upsetting the team spirit how can the conclusion be drawn the Sir Alex should sacked and Ruud kept? Will Ruud build the next dynasty or will it be Beckham No a line has to be drawn The fans need to see that players are answerable to the manager as well as us He is also as I said responsible for the Clubs image What you see is Sir Alex standing in the gap and taking the flak instead of his players United keep a lips sealed policy Sir Alex takes the abuse that should be going to players on himself He becomes the fall guy This is what many people don't seem to grasp Obviously from half spoken hints Ruud for example had a falling out with more than one player and for more than one day "the spirit of the team" was the phrase I think But the Gaffer has allowed Ruud to point the finger of blame squarely at him that he was driven out Why? To protect his players thats why.

Sir Alex has a difficult job I wouldn't want it Sometimes it must feel like the loneliest job in the world I'm glad he's our Boss.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Keano's fan said:
Madrid finished 4th in his only season in charge.
No? I swear Carloz Queiroz won La Liga? They were saying its the same as the Real manager who was recently fired after winning La Liga.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i do agree with you about keane but how do you think he will do in the 1st couple of seasons with Sunderland - i mean hes brought them up in the 1st season, but the premiership is a different matter- hes not really had much managerial experience ?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts