Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester' United's iconic boss Sir Alex Ferguson has dropped a heavy hint that he is only planning to retire once they have overhauled Liverpool's tally of 18 league titles.

Ferguson, who was due to quit in 2005, is refusing to put a timescale on any potential retirement, despite reports in the press that he will relinquish the reigns at Old Trafford in three years.

"I'm carrying on, I still have a bit of damage to do yet," grinned Sir Alex, who quite astonishingly is in his 22nd successive year in charge of the English titans.

"We could win our 17th title today and we would only be one behind Liverpool, so we'd be getting closer. We'd be coming up on the stand rails. Hopefully, we will get to 19 in my time, but I'm not really looking at that yet. It will happen some time, I have no fears about that part.

"The future of the club is good, the structure is great, the youth development strong and apart from [Ryan] Giggs, [Paul] Scholes and [Gary] Neville the majority of the first team are young lads.

"We'll keep on winning titles down the years, we have tried to make sure of that. The first title was the hardest one, because we'd waited 26 years, but that was the one that opened the door.

"Once we got into the consistency of it, the team developed, the squad got better, and it became a good habit for us to win the League. And if we win at Wigan it will be a 10th title in 22 years and that will be an amazing achievement."

Victory at Wigan will ensure United successfully defender their crown, given that Chelsea, which is at home to Bolton Wanderers, has a far inferior goal difference.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Hopefully he will be able to beat both records!

But, being realistic, I don't think he'll beat the CL record, but he may beat the League record.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can see him beating the league record, might take 3 years or so. But why not, the core of our team is v.youthful, and a couple of the lads from the academy are looking quite good, especially Welbeck. So why not. Why not.

We've (nearly) won it 19 times...!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The day he leaves Manchester United Football Club will be the one of the saddest day of my life and I'm sure all UNITED fans agree! He will beat Liverpool's record sooner or later but i want him add more and more and more, so no one will get near it for a millenium! Hopefully he retires at the age of 100, hes always got it in him:D !

S

·
0 Posts
Tenth triumph delights Ferguson

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson
was delighted at winning his 10th league title
and the club's 17th, after the 2-0 win at Wigan Athletic.

"I said before the game that I am not bothered about records.
This is what it is about, championships and trophies," said the Scot.

Having secured the club's 17th title, Ferguson said
that Liverpool's record of 18 was now within sights.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/

Theres a lot of United stuff on there.

But this is the bit I wanted to post. I noticed it in the newspaper today

Not that Ferguson is going to leave them to get on with it. He said on Friday his wife Cathy had persuaded him to shelve his retirement plans in 2002. Now she is the main reason he is staying on!

He quipped: “That wife of mine just bullies me. She kicks me out the door at 7am. I will not risk her wrath.”

Hope his wife keeps going! :p

·
Banned
503 Posts
Dean555 said:
Manchester' United's iconic boss Sir Alex Ferguson has dropped a heavy hint that he is only planning to retire once they have overhauled Liverpool's tally of 18 league titles.

Ferguson, who was due to quit in 2005, is refusing to put a timescale on any potential retirement, despite reports in the press that he will relinquish the reigns at Old Trafford in three years.

"I'm carrying on, I still have a bit of damage to do yet," grinned Sir Alex, who quite astonishingly is in his 22nd successive year in charge of the English titans.

"We could win our 17th title today and we would only be one behind Liverpool, so we'd be getting closer. We'd be coming up on the stand rails. Hopefully, we will get to 19 in my time, but I'm not really looking at that yet. It will happen some time, I have no fears about that part.

"The future of the club is good, the structure is great, the youth development strong and apart from [Ryan] Giggs, [Paul] Scholes and [Gary] Neville the majority of the first team are young lads.

"We'll keep on winning titles down the years, we have tried to make sure of that. The first title was the hardest one, because we'd waited 26 years, but that was the one that opened the door.

"Once we got into the consistency of it, the team developed, the squad got better, and it became a good habit for us to win the League. And if we win at Wigan it will be a 10th title in 22 years and that will be an amazing achievement."

Victory at Wigan will ensure United successfully defender their crown, given that Chelsea, which is at home to Bolton Wanderers, has a far inferior goal difference.
Good & hope you can stay much, much longer fergie ;)

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Retirement is a word that for me goes hand in hand with someone who has been slogging it out on 20k+ for 45 years of their life.
Not a football manager multi millionaire.

It's very easy to say retirement isn't for you when you've been living the rich high life all your days.

Not to have a go at Sir Alex here but it's easy to say you wont retire when you make a fortune!

He should have said he wont be leaving. Retiremine to me just sounds silly.

Hope he stays on for many more seasons.

·
Registered
130 Posts
He's not had it easy all his days tho. A working class lad. Got a lucky (deserved) break.

And he would be retiring. Getting on the bus for free, etc. Thats what it is.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Working at a physical job and retiring is "retirement" as Richard rightly says. But with Sir Alex its all mental work, he could feasibly go on till he literally dies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts