Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22/09/2008 08:58, Report by Nick Coppack

Sir Alex: Now watch us goThe Reds may have started the season slowly but United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists top form is just around the corner.

United's 1-1 draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday leaves the Reds with just five points after four games. But there's no need to panic, according to the manager.

“We've had a tough start,†Sir Alex told Sky Sports. “We've had to go away to Anfield – and we threw that game away in terms of the goals we conceded – and now we've had to come to Stamford Bridge.

“We've also been away to Portsmouth, which is a fixture a lot of teams will find difficult, just as we have down the years. So it's been tough.

“It's difficult to say where this 1-1 result places us but what I do know is that come October we'll be fine.

“The players will have plenty of minutes on the clock, the level of our game will go up, Ronaldo and Berbatov will have games behind them... you'll see us at our best then.â€

The manager was also quick to point out that although United linger in the bottom half of the Barclays Premier League, the Reds have played one less game than most of their opponents.

“The press worked themselves into a fever over the weekend about the possibility of Chelsea going nine points clear. Of course, you have to reember we have a game in hand, which is important.†:)

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
positive thinking..we are going to do great things again this season.just believe in our lads.they won't let us down.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think the mental block is about to be lifted lets get ready for take off ,on paper we are so much stronger this season with 4 strikers so i am expecting plenty of goals.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
he is quietly confident for a reason. the team will build on last weekend's result. no worries here. we will be around the top of the table comes november/december.

·
23,699 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
footballfancast

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted there is still work to be done in knitting his Manchester United players together into a team unit despite Saturday's 2-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers.

United bounced back from a below-par first-half display to take the points and a first home Premier League victory of the season courtesy of a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty and second from substitute Wayne Rooney.

But after the victory, Ferguson admitted he has yet to find the right formula to fit all of his attacking talents together effectively.

"We were careless with our possession at time in the first half and we got caught on the counter-attack," he claimed.

"I felt we played too tightly. There were too many six-yard passes, instead of spreading the game quicker.

"In the second half we had far more width in our game and I'm very satisfied with how the game turned out.

"I think it was a well deserved victory. We played some fantastic football at times - we have the individuals to do that when you consider the skills of Scholes, Anderson, Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov.

"There is an array of talent here. We just have to garner it together and get compact teamwork out of it." ...............

Nothing new here. Just a confirmation from Fergie to what we have been speculating in this forum. Happy problem to have though but nonetheless a tricky one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When is anybody looking at a league table after 4 or 5 games? It's like picking the winner of a marathon after they've only run a hundred yards.

·
Registered
135 Posts
definetly. its useless to figure out the winner in the beginning of the season. Same thing had happened last year when united was down in the beginning. we just have to start gaining some momentum with wins. the boro match has definitly started us up again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts