Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before his team's showdown with Arsenal at Old Trafford, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that he is prepared to add to his already formidable squad this summer. Ferguson's desire to strengthen certain areas makes ominous news for United's Premier League rivals, including today‘s opposition.

Ferguson augmented his lot with the purchases of Nani, Anderson, Carlos Tevez and Owen Hargreaves last summer, and all four have contributed to a thus far impeccable Premier League and Champions League campaign.

Nani has assisted more goals for Ferguson's side than any other player bar Wayne Rooney in the Premier League this term, while the efforts of Anderson, Tevez and Hargreaves have also won plaudits. If Sir Alex has a similar Midas touch this summer in the transfer market, then Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool could be left in United's shade next term.

Ferguson acknowledged that it represents a major step for any player to come to a club with the statue of Manchester United but is acutely aware that the players he signs, more often than not, relish the challenge.

Ahead of today's clash with Arsenal, the discrepancies between the Red Devils and Arsene Wenger's side could hardly be starker. While the Gunners have jaded in recent weeks, with their key personnel unable to sustain their majestic early season form, Ferguson's strength in depth has allowed him to consistently roll out the changes, to the extent of resting Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney in the Champions League quarter final. Ferguson stated that it is this ability to freshen-up his side that has kept his side in better stead at this stage of the season.

Wenger, conversely has had to rely on the same band of individuals throughout the campaign and has seen his side stutter. Without the depth enjoyed at Old Trafford, the Frenchman has had to endure slumps in form of Emmanuel Adebayor et al.

Ferguson told skysports: "I don't need to spend, but I will. I think there is an area where we are short and we can stock up on that a bit.

It is not easy getting the best players here. But we have to because when you have a lot of quality in your squad you have to be absolutely correct on who you bring in.

A player has a chance to come to a club like United and he would say 'that's my challenge to be in the team.

That's what good payers do. I don't think I will bring in as many as last season and if we buy players it will probably be young ones.

Having a strong squad has helped Chelsea and us this season. Last season, we just didn't have enough.

This year Tevez, Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson have been really fantastic for us.

Those four players have made a big contribution to our season."

Peter Staunton / Goal.com

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Sir Alex has a similar Midas touch this summer in the transfer market, then Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool could be left in United’s shade next term.
Music to my ears :D Lets hope he buys well this summer.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I LOVE YOU FERGIE!! Yes he has read my mind! We don't need to sign but WILL!! Great news!! Bring in a clinical striker and a defender and we are all set for another dominating season :D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I personally think we will only buy a young striker. We already have two young fullbacks in Rafael and Fabio, remember?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Grif SA said:
I personally think we will only buy a young striker. We already have two young fullbacks in Rafael and Fabio, remember?
They're still very inexperienced and need to work on the defensive aspect of their game.
They'll probably play in the reserves/League Cup or maybe even be shipped out on Loan for a season.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
we dont need any player
no strikers and defenders
no need for anybody but if ronnie leave us we maybe need huntelaar to smack the net
but he is not and he will stay

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think we will make one big signing this summer, possibly someone like Lahm.

I think that the 'position' he is talking about is either full-back and/or up front. I hope we see at least one full-back and one striker. I think that the full-back may be around 25, but the striker will be 23 or lower. I think that, with Manucho, it isn't vitally important, but with another striker we will be unstoppable!

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
If I had to pick a couple of players that were young with potential it would be benzema and ashley young of aston villa

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
maybe a replacement for brown
with manucho coming, we shld buy one more striker because i have a feeling that fergie is finished with saha, time for him to move on

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
abojodeh said:
we dont need any player
no need for anybody but if ronnie leave us we maybe need huntelaar to smack the net
Yes we do.

Ronnie isn't going anywhere. I'm really getting sick this idea that he will leave us for Real Madrid. Real can't afford him, they do not have the resources. There is nothing Real can give Ronnie, that he don't have here already.

According an Interview on The News of the world- he'll be making some signings. They'll be pretty young because he is looking at things in the long run.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
abojodeh said:
we dont need any player
You seriously think that United don't need to purchase anymore player(s)? I strongly disagree & beg to differ from ur opinion. We certainly needs to purchase some players where we are lack of quality options and ain't strong in. Juz' a right-back & another forward would suffice IMHO.

Rooney & Tevez falls in the same category of forwards; short, creative & loves to play from the deep. Currently, they are the only two forwards whom are reliable in United's squad. All I could say for a certain Louis Saha is that I've long given up all my hopes on him. The 'Balsa-wood man' is so dogged by injury that he cannot find any forms of consistency. Could you imagine if our luck's against us and both of them got injured in the same time or became totally exhausted in the long run, who are we going to field as a striker then?

As for the right-back slot, Gary Neville is starting to show his age & just came back from a long injury lay-off for approximately a whole year. It would be extremely hard for him to find back his old, rich vein of form as one of the best full-backs in the whole of Europe. What about Wes Brown? I doubt if he's even classified as one of the best full-backs in the world. Not now, not in the past & definitely not in the future! And if United are to challenge on all fronts namely the Premiership, Champions League & FA Cup, a right-back such as the likes of Brown is impossible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, Fergie should sign more younger players. Cos I feel that while Scholesy and Giggsy can still stay on for a couple years we're gonna need backups for Nani and Anderson when they're in first team choices. Who else thinks so? Maybe young like 16 or 17 years?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts