Manchester United Talk banner

Sir Alex pleased with a point

1K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  CROoney 
#1 ·
by Nick Coppack

Boss pleased with pointUnited and Chelsea deserved to share the points on Sunday, according to Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

“In football terms, I think we certainly deserved a point,†he told MUTV. “That said, I think in some ways it was a point gained – we didn't know what was going to happen on that pitch with so many free-kicks being awarded around the edge of the box. I was starting to worry.â€

It's no wonder the manager was fretting. Referee Mike Riley was particularly whistle-happy at the Bridge, awarding 35 free kicks (19 against the Reds, 16 against Chelsea) and handing out eight yellow cards (seven to United).

“I don't want to get into that,†Sir Alex said. “All I'll say is that the match went out around the world and I think some people will be wondering what was going on.

“I didn't think there was one bad tackle in the game.â€

After a feeble performance at Anfield last weekend, Sir Alex was pleased in midweek with United's performance against Spanish side Villarreal. At Chelsea, too, the boss found there was much to take heart from.

“I think we played with great tempo to our game, particularly in the first 20 minutes. We played some excellent football.
“If there is a criticism of us today, then we didn't go for the jugular when we were 1-0 up and in complete control. We eased off and allowed Chelsea to regroup at half-time.â€

Injuries forced Sir Alex to hand Jonny Evans a Premier League debut and pick Gary Neville for his first league start since March 2007. Ji-sung Park and Owen Hargreaves were also included from kick-off after impressing in their first starts of the season in midweek.

“I'm very happy with how Gary Neville and Jonny Evans played,†the boss confirmed. “I think they've all done well. There were a couple of moments where Joe Cole got free – once in the first half and once in the second half – but I think we defended quite well.

“We maybe lost a little energy towards the end of the game because we've still got a few players, like Berbatov, Hargreaves, Park, Ronaldo and Neville who haven't played all that much football recently.

“They started to tire a little and that allowed Chelsea to break on a few occasions when we should have keptpossession of the ball. But everyone worked hard on a hot day.â€

quoted from manutd.com

See less See more
#3 ·
Looking back at last season we took 3 points from our away games against Chelsea and Liverpool. This year we only got one point , nothing to brag about but its something . I think this year its all about not dropping stupid points to the lower sides . Remember City took 6 points from us so lets try and reverse that .

G
#5 ·
marty davidson said:
how can you be pleased with a point when you having be winning nearly enough the whole match
Portsmouth, rentboys and dippers, we've taken 4 points from these 3 away games, the same total we got last season . .

Remind me again who won the Premiership title last season. :D

#8 ·
Ridiculous mentality from Ferguson and Rooney (who also said it was a point gained)

I was lead to believe (from interviews from our players) that SAF is always furious if we lose or drop points to ANYONE.

Now, before I go further, I know every team is always going to drop points at some time.

But, Man Utd players and SAF should still have the arrogance and winners mentality of 'were going to win every game' and be seriously ****ed off if we don't, they all know something might go wrong somewhere but you don't come out and say its a point gained as if Chelsea are better than us!!! especially in that game being 1-0 up for ages.

#9 ·
christianoharleiro said:
Ridiculous mentality from Ferguson and Rooney (who also said it was a point gained)

I was lead to believe (from interviews from our players) that SAF is always furious if we lose or drop points to ANYONE.

Now, before I go further, I know every team is always going to drop points at some time.

But, Man Utd players and SAF should still have the arrogance and winners mentality of 'were going to win every game' and be seriously ****ed off if we don't, they all know something might go wrong somewhere but you don't come out and say its a point gained as if Chelsea are better than us!!! especially in that game being 1-0 up for ages.
Excellent point.

This matter is getting strange but intriguing. We seem to have 2 broad categories ie the Satisfied and Dissatisfied lot in our midst. And the Satisfied lot seems to think that the Dissatisfied lot is the negative and the faithless one when in actual fact, the opposite is true.

For the Satisfied lot seems to think that a point gained is good at Stamford Bridge, that perhaps it was perfectly fine to try to preserve the slim lead to the final whistle, that nothing is amissed in such an approach and things are still hunkie dorie with no real need or concern.

Unfortunately, it is not only actually negative but it also betrays the level of the self belief in that we are not good enough to score more at Stamford Bridge and we are not good enough to come away with a victory. So scoring a goal is good enough to hang on for dear life; thank your lucky star we scored first. And coming away with a point is good performance and outcome.

On the contrary, the Dissatisfied lot is actually very positive and has a lot of self belief. We believe we can beat Chel$ki at Stamford Bridge and that it is not 1 point gained but 3 points lost (2 points for us and 1 point as a gift for them). We believe we can score more if we really want to. We can't accept our negative approach of protecting a slender lead. We believe that keeping the ball in their half is always better than keeping the ball in our half. We don't like this negativity in our mentality. We are not comfortable with such well-concealed low self esteem. And we fear that such approach will not benefit us but hurt us. And who will be afraid of us anymore if we are so afraid ourselves?! Gone are those days when teams were already quaking with fear even before the ball is kicked. Think we all should know why. And I believe that teams are more afraid to face Chel$ki than to face us, not because they are champions and we are not, but for the same factors mentioned here... That is why the Dissatisfied lot is hurt and frustrated.

Now, who is the negative and faithless one?!

#10 ·
versa said:
Excellent point.

This matter is getting strange but intriguing. We seem to have 2 broad categories ie the Satisfied and Dissatisfied lot in our midst. And the Satisfied lot seems to think that the Dissatisfied lot is the negative and the faithless one when in actual fact, the opposite is true.

For the Satisfied lot seems to think that a point gained is good at Stamford Bridge, that perhaps it was perfectly fine to try to preserve the slim lead to the final whistle, that nothing is amissed in such an approach and things are still hunkie dorie with no real need or concern.

Unfortunately, it is not only actually negative but it also betrays the level of the self belief in that we are not good enough to score more at Stamford Bridge and we are not good enough to come away with a victory. So scoring a goal is good enough to hang on for dear life; thank your lucky star we scored first. And coming away with a point is good performance and outcome.

On the contrary, the Dissatisfied lot is actually very positive and has a lot of self belief. We believe we can beat Chel$ki at Stamford Bridge and that it is not 1 point gained but 3 points lost (2 points for us and 1 point as a gift for them). We believe we can score more if we really want to. We can't accept our negative approach of protecting a slender lead. We believe that keeping the ball in their half is always better than keeping the ball in our half. We don't like this negativity in our mentality. We are not comfortable with such well-concealed low self esteem. And we fear that such approach will not benefit us but hurt us. And who will be afraid of us anymore if we are so afraid ourselves?! Gone are those days when teams were already quaking with fear even before the ball is kicked. Think we all should know why. And I believe that teams are more afraid to face Chel$ki than to face us, not because they are champions and we are not, but for the same factors mentioned here... That is why the Dissatisfied lot is hurt and frustrated.

Now, who is the negative and faithless one?!

What a load of tosh - easily your worst post EVER!

How can you generalize the two groups so blatantly with cheap, pseudo-psychology?

Listen here, the squad is transitioning - Scoles, Giggs, VDS are past their prime and the new protagonists have not yet fully claimed their starting spots. Of the newer players, I'd say that Michael Carrick has become an integral part of the team, but was injured during the Liverpool game and thus didn't play against Vilarreal and Chelsea.

Ronaldo is only coming back from injury, Anderson not quite match fit and Nani still murturing. If you consider the backdrop to the situation, then maybe you would be less harsh on the team.

Yes, we didn't play with the swagger we used to play with when Roy was around, but I dare say we've played with swagger for mot parts of last season and after thumping teams like newcastle, wigan, Liverpool 3-0 and Arsenal 4-1 in the FA Cup, I don't think any team on the planet was looking forward to play us.

Then came the Roma and Barca games and then people like desmondo started shouting fire and raising the alarm bells.

And this season we are having a slow start and I've seen it all before and choose to be chilled about it, not because I don't have faith or belief in the team, but I recognise that it happens.

It's happened before and we still became champs. On current form, we're just not so hot. But the was true last season and that we beat Wigan 4-0 at home, started kicking ass and playing with swagger/confidence.

I think the manner in which fans choose to react says more about their character than about their love for the club.

We all love Man Utd here, otherwise why am I spending hours on this site every single day?

SO

Give the situation that we had a central midfield of Fletcher and Scholes, a young Jonny Ecans making his debut, An old goal-keeper making his team nervous with his inability to catch, Ronaldo only coming on as a sub and berba still getting used to his new team - I can understand that the team is finding it tough going against a team of Chelsea's quality.

I recognize that we didn't have as much possession, but that we created as many clear-cut chances as they did. In fact we managed to score from open play and Chelsea needed a dead-ball situation to score against us - on their turf.

The same applies to the earlier matches this season and if there's one thing that is true is that Manchester United rarely do things the easy way.

So you will excuse me for not sounding the alarm bells and losing my mind, because i have seen it before and have ABSOLUTE FAITH that the team can find their grove, step up the gears and become the most feared team in a ll of Europe.

Thank you!

#12 ·
i asked the question, whether ppl on here would be happy with a draw, and i got quite a number of members stating they would be happy with a point. and after such an even game, neither teams deserve to lose, so i would say a draw is a fair result, even if we had the chance to win, with only 10 mins to go. at the end of the day, it is not the best result for us, but it is not the worst either. not that i would not love us taking all three points from stamford bridge, but i just dun think we deserve to walk away with all 3 points. fergie felt that we had a very good chance to win, but it is reasonable for him to be happy with 1 point, because he sees the team going further, performing better from now onwards.

#13 ·
RedForceRising said:
What a load of tosh - easily your worst post EVER!

Thank you.

How can you generalize the two groups so blatantly with cheap, pseudo-psychology?

Cheap or not, it seems that way, generally speaking.

Listen here, the squad is transitioning - Scoles, Giggs, VDS are past their prime and the new protagonists have not yet fully claimed their starting spots. Of the newer players, I'd say that Michael Carrick has become an integral part of the team, but was injured during the Liverpool game and thus didn't play against Vilarreal and Chelsea.

Ronaldo is only coming back from injury, Anderson not quite match fit and Nani still murturing.

Oh mine, I didn't know that.

If you consider the backdrop to the situation, then maybe you would be less harsh on the team.

Is the team my focus?! I suggest you read between the lines.

Yes, we didn't play with the swagger we used to play with when Roy was around, but I dare say we've played with swagger for mot parts of last season and after thumping teams like newcastle, wigan, Liverpool 3-0 and Arsenal 4-1 in the FA Cup, I don't think any team on the planet was looking forward to play us.

Then came the Roma and Barca games and then people like desmondo started shouting fire and raising the alarm bells.

And this season we are having a slow start and I've seen it all before and choose to be chilled about it, not because I don't have faith or belief in the team, but I recognise that it happens.

It's happened before and we still became champs. On current form, we're just not so hot. But the was true last season and that we beat Wigan 4-0 at home, started kicking ass and playing with swagger/confidence.

History can repeat itself but it may not. If clinging on previous exact pattern is the only reason for comfort and the sole source for optimism, then it is most pathetic and naive. Conditions do change and other teams too.

I think the manner in which fans choose to react says more about their character than about their love for the club.

We all love Man Utd here, otherwise why am I spending hours on this site every single day?

Don't state the obvious. And I don't know what you are trying to insinuate by bolding it. I never once speculated which lot has a greater or lesser love for United.

SO

Give the situation that we had a central midfield of Fletcher and Scholes, a young Jonny Ecans making his debut, An old goal-keeper making his team nervous with his inability to catch, Ronaldo only coming on as a sub and berba still getting used to his new team - I can understand that the team is finding it tough going against a team of Chelsea's quality.

I recognize that we didn't have as much possession, but that we created as many clear-cut chances as they did. In fact we managed to score from open play and Chelsea needed a dead-ball situation to score against us - on their turf.

Oh mine, I didn't know that again.

The same applies to the earlier matches this season and if there's one thing that is true is that Manchester United rarely do things the easy way.

We are infamous for that. Can't say it is a strength to be admired though.

So you will excuse me for not sounding the alarm bells and losing my mind, because i have seen it before and have ABSOLUTE FAITH that the team can find their grove, step up the gears and become the most feared team in all of Europe.

All those who have not been too accomodating in one way or another also share the same hope and faith. They are just saying what they SEE, of some concerns and things we can definitely do better, not what they think or hope in the near future. Not all are romantics, some are just pragmatists.

Thank you!

You are welcomed.
By the way, is there any special reason for your strong pitch even if you disagree? :rolleyes:

#14 ·
versa said:
By the way, is there any special reason for your strong pitch even if you disagree? :rolleyes:
Yes, there is.

the posts during the Barca matches and then after the Liverpool match seemed to suggest that, if you are not ranting and raving that you are somehow (in a weird twisted logic) less confident and less optimistic about Manchester United.

In a reverse way, the doom and gloom / still worried camp were insinuating, because we're Man Utd how can we play like that, not stamping our authority, playing basketball zonal defense, blah blah blah blah and that the camp that we're not worried (thread istarted) or urging people to be positive were somehow in weird twisted way less confident about the team and ok with "scraping victory" playing without swagger......

The reason I responded strongly is because I don't think it fair to make such insinuations or suggestions about the people from the opposing camp and you ended your post with

"Now, who is the negative and faithless one?!"

How am I supposed to take that?!

Am I to understand, because I'm not slating fergie and the team that I am negative and faithless?

Here's another quote:

We can't accept our negative approach of protecting a slender lead. We believe that keeping the ball in their half is always better than keeping the ball in our half. We don't like this negativity in our mentality. We are not comfortable with such well-concealed low self esteem. And we fear that such approach will not benefit us but hurt us.

- Yeah, I too wanted a win, but with the players on the pitch, do you REALLY REALLY think that going out for a full attack is better?

I think it's coming down to a question of tactical approach and if I'm not misunderstanding you;re saying the people who are not opposed to a more cautious approach against a team like Chelsea are negative and faithless. Maybe they are just have a different tactical opinion from you - one which is not born of faithlessness in the team, but based on experience.

To me, one has to make concessions for injuries and form.

Our return to glory coincided with Michael Carrick's arrival and Ronaldo finding form after the World Cup.

There are mitigating factors for our current slump in form and i choose to acknowledge them. Just because I choose to acknowledge them and not panic doesn't mean i am faithless or negative or anything other than that.

In my mind I recall games from last season like against Newcastle, Boro at home, Aston Villa, Portsmouth (scoreline should have been more than 2-0), Bolton home, Sunderland away, Blackburn home, derby home,

those are games where it clicked and where we did well.

then, there were other games where it didn't click - where players kept hoofing the ball forward, where passes didn't meet their target, where chances went begging.

But you know what?

The team bounces back and usually comes good again.

can we remember that we have an old guard that is really almost at the end of their playing days and players like nani and Anderson, who are still finding their feet. Hargreaves and Rooney who keep playing in different positions.

We also have not had good luck with injuries.

All these factors unsettle teams. Just because I believe it is not reason to raise the siren doesn't mean I am satisfied with mediocre results or don't believe we;re the ebst in the busienss. I jusr acknowledge that there are factors that contribute to us not being red hot at the moment.

That doesn't make me faithless and negativ.

Heading for a uselsess meeting now. I'll read your reply later.

Sorry, if I came over strongly. If one person on this site deserves better from me, it's you.

#15 ·
RedForceRising said:
Yes, there is.

the posts during the Barca matches and then after the Liverpool match seemed to suggest that, if you are not ranting and raving that you are somehow (in a weird twisted logic) less confident and less optimistic about Manchester United.

In a reverse way, the doom and gloom / still worried camp were insinuating, because we're Man Utd how can we play like that, not stamping our authority, playing basketball zonal defense, blah blah blah blah and that the camp that we're not worried (thread istarted) or urging people to be positive were somehow in weird twisted way less confident about the team and ok with "scraping victory" playing without swagger......

The reason I responded strongly is because I don't think it fair to make such insinuations or suggestions about the people from the opposing camp and you ended your post with

"Now, who is the negative and faithless one?!"

How am I supposed to take that?!

Am I to understand, because I'm not slating fergie and the team that I am negative and faithless?

There is nothing "weird twisted" about it at all.

Similar to your strong reason(s) for this outburst, it was only a direct response to the Get-A-Grip Brigade then that seems to insinuate those that voiced out their concerns based on what they honestly SEE are negative and have no faith in the team!? Wtf!? And I did not start such threads, did I?

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/14591-get-effin-grip-3.html

Here's another quote:

We can't accept our negative approach of protecting a slender lead. We believe that keeping the ball in their half is always better than keeping the ball in our half. We don't like this negativity in our mentality. We are not comfortable with such well-concealed low self esteem. And we fear that such approach will not benefit us but hurt us.

- Yeah, I too wanted a win, but with the players on the pitch, do you REALLY REALLY think that going out for a full attack is better?

Of course I can't be talking about launching a full attack like we are fighting for a last gasp equaliser. Thank you. But going out for a full defence with just a slender lead is better too?! Think not surrendering our initiative, not suddenly looking second best or slower to the ball, believing that we are actually on upper hand and that we can still score more goals would suffice.

Looks like your quote was not complete to illustrate my points above. So here is the main again (just those that you did not quote):

"........Unfortunately, it is not only actually negative but it also betrays the level of the self belief in that we are not good enough to score more at Stamford Bridge and we are not good enough to come away with a victory. So scoring a goal is good enough to hang on for dear life; thank your lucky star we scored first. And coming away with a point is good performance and outcome.

On the contrary, the Dissatisfied lot is actually very positive and has a lot of self belief. We believe we can beat Chel$ki at Stamford Bridge and that it is not 1 point gained but 3 points lost (2 points for us and 1 point as a gift for them). We believe we can score more if we really want to.... And who will be afraid of us anymore if we are so afraid ourselves?! Gone are those days when teams were already quaking with fear even before the ball is kicked. Think we all should know why. And I believe that teams are more afraid to face Chel$ki than to face us, not because they are champions and we are not, but for the same factors mentioned here... That is why the Dissatisfied lot is hurt and frustrated...."

I think it's coming down to a question of tactical approach and if I'm not misunderstanding you;re saying the people who are not opposed to a more cautious approach against a team like Chelsea are negative and faithless. Maybe they are just have a different tactical opinion from you - one which is not born of faithlessness in the team, but based on experience.

Not at all. Nothing to do with football per se as explained above. And like in my last post, football itself was never my focus in this thread. In any case, there is a big difference between maintaining caution and conceding initiative.

To me, one has to make concessions for injuries and form.

Our return to glory coincided with Michael Carrick's arrival and Ronaldo finding form after the World Cup.

There are mitigating factors for our current slump in form and i choose to acknowledge them. Just because I choose to acknowledge them and not panic doesn't mean i am faithless or negative or anything other than that.

In my mind I recall games from last season like against Newcastle, Boro at home, Aston Villa, Portsmouth (scoreline should have been more than 2-0), Bolton home, Sunderland away, Blackburn home, derby home,

those are games where it clicked and where we did well.

then, there were other games where it didn't click - where players kept hoofing the ball forward, where passes didn't meet their target, where chances went begging.

But you know what?

The team bounces back and usually comes good again.

can we remember that we have an old guard that is really almost at the end of their playing days and players like nani and Anderson, who are still finding their feet. Hargreaves and Rooney who keep playing in different positions.

We also have not had good luck with injuries.

All these factors unsettle teams. Just because I believe it is not reason to raise the siren doesn't mean I am satisfied with mediocre results or don't believe we;re the ebst in the busienss. I jusr acknowledge that there are factors that contribute to us not being red hot at the moment.

That doesn't make me faithless and negativ.

Fair statements as long as based on facts and sights.. Except for the "faithless and negative" part which I have already explained how it all came about.

Now I get it.... :p

Heading for a uselsess meeting now. I'll read your reply later.

Sorry, if I came over strongly. If one person on this site deserves better from me, it's you.

Huh? Really?! Why can't I feel it? :confused: ;)
ditto..

#16 ·
We should have gone away with 3 points, but with the situation where we have a game in hand and the other teams not taking advantage i think a point away at chelsea is still positive. We have gone to liverpool and chelsea now and with the other teams also playing under par we have the advantage in some ways.

#17 ·
We lost at Stamford Bridge last season. We, or any other team, haven't won there in years - it has become a real fortress for Chelsea. And yet we're disappointed to have drawn the game because we lead for so long.

That can only be a positive thing in my eyes. Most teams would be happy and relieved to get a point at Stamford Bridge. United are not like most teams.

#18 ·
another naive performance by SAF....i have no right to say anything against the great man but he can be so naive at times...i mean - there we were defending all over the place, anelka and j.cole missing sitters and he introduces john o'shea ??? as you all know i love the lad but this has nothing to do with o'shea ! instead of taking off berbatov and introducing carlos tevez to switch the focus on their half he introduces a defender on the dmf place...that way they simply left one player for berbatov , two for ronaldo and the rest very furiously attacking us.carlos would have made their defenders more cautios and they wouldn't have gone attacking like they did... tevez would have tied 2-3 players and he would have been a constant threat to their defence...it's like liverpool playing with crouch instead of torres while defending the lead against us.... berbatov should be INTRODUCED in a pompey a like match when we're creating chances and when there's no one to score...not when we're defending and trying to score one on a counter
i'm pleased with a point , don't get me wrong but it felt like we really could have won it

#19 ·
I would have taken a point before the game, but losing a goal late on makes this feel like a defeat, we need to start scoring more rather than just the one and then seeming to sit back and letting the opposition get at us, I know the last 2 away games were tough one's. But all 3 goal's conceded were very poor.

#20 ·
I still can't understand why some fans would go away thinking that a point at Stamford Bridge is good enough. It is as if we, champions or not, are never going to be good enough to stuff them out in their own turf - try lesser teams, wait for return leg at OT - when actually we could have had if we have just a little more self-belief and confidence. Look at the last two games again. What always seem to happen before and after we scored? If our mind set changes on this, it is very possible to have carved out both victories. When little separates the top teams, the battle is often won in the minds.

#21 ·
We lost at Stamford Bridge last season. We, or any other team, haven't won there in years - it has become a real fortress for Chelsea. And yet we're disappointed to have drawn the game because we lead for so long.

That can only be a positive thing in my eyes. Most teams would be happy and relieved to get a point at Stamford Bridge. United are not like most teams.
Precisely, which is why a few people are annoyed that Ferguson and Rooney are saying its a point gained. I'm sorry, but we're not Stoke playing away to Liverpool. Thats a point gained..... for Liverpool :p

#24 ·
Rooneys_Temper said:
The way i look at it is Chelsea were ALWAYS going to score,they could have been 1-0 up had J Cole not spooned his shot.If it was handed before the game on a plate,Fergie would have snapped it up! Gotta take the positives as there is little else we can do right now!!
but also rio could have scored that 1 on 1 ...rooney missed the sitter while we were one nil up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.