Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see anything on this yet...feel free to throw it in the gameday thread if you all want...just thought it deserved a head's up before it happened.

FOX Sports on MSN - Champions League - Platini to give award to Bobby Charlton

MANCHESTER, England (AP) - Former Manchester United forward Bobby Charlton will be given the UEFA President's Award on Wednesday before the team's Champions League semifinal match against Arsenal at Old Trafford.

Charlton, who is now a Man United director, played a starring role in the team's 1968 European Cup win - 10 years after he survived the Munich air crash that cost the lives of seven of his teammates.

"It is a great privilege for me to present the UEFA President's Award to such an outstanding gentleman and ambassador for our game as Sir Bobby Charlton," UEFA president Michel Platini said Tuesday. "Sir Bobby represents everything that is good about the game of football: fair play, respect and true loyalty."

Charlton, who played for United from 1953-73, also helped England win the World Cup in 1966. He scored 49 goals in 106 appearances for his country.

"I am honored to receive this award from the UEFA president," Charlton said. "Many of the most memorable games I have been involved in both as a player and a director have been in UEFA competitions. There is no doubt that the European Cup - now the UEFA Champions League - holds a special place in my heart."

Former Real Madrid great Alfredo di Stefano was the previous recipient of the President's Award.

"It is a real privilege to follow one of the greatest names ever in the game," Charlton said.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Well Done Sir Bobby - Always good to see another United Legend winning an Award. :D

True that Platini's Admiration for him is a lot greater than his love for the English teams.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
He fully deserves it, and Platini must really think a lot of him considering he's a director at an English club :p

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
"Sir Bobby represents everything that is good about the game of football: fair play, respect and true loyalty."

So true.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts