Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things. Firstly we had a thread about this but I can't find it so please merge if possible. Secondly I don't know if this has been posted.

But as we know, Sir Bobby Charlton won the 2008 BBC Sports Personality Lifetime Acheivement Award. And for anyone who perhaps did see it, here it is;

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Thanks for sharing this clip.

A wonderful acknowledgment for a wonderful player and person.

if you read jack charltons autobiography you will discover that our bobby turned his back on his own mother , although all the family loved him dearly he simply stopped visiting her .jack has great admiration for his little brother but cannot understand why he stopped seeing his mother who longed to see him :confused: he seems to have let utd come above his nearest family and in all honesty that ain't such a wonderful person in real life.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
sweet fa said:
if you read jack charltons autobiography you will discover that our bobby turned his back on his own mother , although all the family loved him dearly he simply stopped visiting her .jack has great admiration for his little brother but cannot understand why he stopped seeing his mother who longed to see him :confused: he seems to have let utd come above his nearest family and in all honesty that ain't such a wonderful person in real life.
Its well known that he could be quite a cold person. He admitted himself that he was always hostile towards George Best. They think that maybe the Munich disaster sent him that way a bit, could have been 'survivors guilt'. Still a footballing legend of the highest sort and a true professional.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Richie said:
Its well known that he could be quite a cold person. He admitted himself that he was always hostile towards George Best. They think that maybe the Munich disaster sent him that way a bit, could have been 'survivors guilt'. Still a footballing legend of the highest sort and a true professional.

yes i fully agree that he is a footballing legend and a great professional that is unquestionable but when i read jacks autobiography it really shocked me that he sort of disowned his own loving mother ,not everything is has perfect as it seems in this fine footballers life.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
sweet fa said:
yes i fully agree that he is a footballing legend and a great professional that is unquestionable but when i read jacks autobiography it really shocked me that he sort of disowned his own loving mother ,not everything is has perfect as it seems in this fine footballers life.
Yeah, i suppose when you're a hero to so many people you get portrayed as a great person, but by the sounds of it the truth is he wasnt such a nice guy

·
Registered
53 Posts
sweet fa said:
If you read his book about his Man Utd years, then he declares in there that the split between himself and his mam was due to his mother trying to be too influencial on Sir Bobby and particularly his wife - once it became a stand off between his mother and his wife, he sided with his wife...... my only personal experience of Bobby Charlton ( as he was then ) was in 1974 when he was departing Ringway Airport for the WC in West Germany - me just being a little snotty nosed youth at that time and an anorak plane spotter - I said hello to him as he walked by me, and he blankled me as if I was a piece of sh*t off his shoe........ ignorant c u next tuesday i thought................

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
sweet fa said:
and you havent read Bobby's version of things? :confused:

see Misterredmists post above.....

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Sir Bobby is the classiest person I've seen in football. The obstacles he's overcome, the tragedy's he's seen, the talent he had and the trophies he won make him unparalelled.

As Giggs said in his DVD "He represents everything that Manutd is - history and class".

Our greatest legend IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts