Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To mark Sir Matt Busby's 100th Birthday on the 26th May 2009, the lads at Red Issue have came up with this idea:

We are having a whip round - Please read

May 26th this year sees the 10th anniversary of the Nou Camp and I am sure it will be done to death by the Club to make a few quid and in the media etc etc.

There is a far more important anniversary on the same day. It will be the 100 years since the birth of Sir Matt Busby, something that may get a mention somewhere possibly but as its not really an earner for the Club don't expect too much.

As you are all perfectly well aware, without Sir Matt, United, as it exists today, would probably be just another football club.

Sir Matts vision and foresight took us, as you all know, to the pinnacle of European football and changed football forever.

I would like to see the supporters do something.

Sod the Club, they can do what they like, but I think the supporters should get together to mark the occasion and to say 'Thanks'.

Now I may be a sentimental old **** at times but I am not completely alzheimered yet and I know that to get all Uniteds supporters to agree on summat would be like getting the Pope to a strip club.

So we here on this forum are having a whip round. A couple of quid each, thats all that we are asking for. A few pennies for each year since Sir Matts birth and use the loot to buy the biggest, nicest floral tribute (s). One to go on Sir Matts grave and one to go to Old Trafford to be put at the base of his statue if the Club agree or if not tie it to the railings by the statue to the Trinity on the 26th of May.

Give a couple of quid for Sir Matt.

Pay via paypal the email addy is [email protected]

To ensure that all is above board, Julie and I have the paypal account password and regular updates of the total collected will be put on here.

We will be asking for a volunteer nearer the date as someone is going to have to take the flowers to Sir Matts grave and to OT.

For me, Sir Matt forever will be Mr. Manchester United, and if that isn't worth a couple of quid then I truly despair.

With robbing *******s paypal 3.4%+20p is making every £1 donated into 77p.

If its to £2.00 we'll get £1.73
I enquired whether it could be posted on other United forums, where there is (hopefully) like minded folk who all wish to do something, nothing major as you read, just to know that Sir Matt is Manchester United - the man we all have to thank for placing the foundations where United are today.

There are over 7,000 members on this site, if everyone donated £2 to this great cause, then that's £14,000 just from this site!! Obvously, the active members are probably only around 100, but even if we raise £500 between ourselves, plus from everyone on all the other forums, then it should be a success.

There is another idea at Red Issue where the proceeds will also go towards donating equipment, or a memorial plaque, at the hospital where Sir Matt touched death at Munich 1958, but the staff duly helped him to survive - and treat many other United players after the horrific accident.

So please, donate at least £2 (or more if you wish) to this great cause.

Send money via paypal to [email protected] .

I hope you all will get involved.

Thank you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
great idea, ive sent 5.00 quid (not much still waiting 4 the student loan), just hope all the other people who have viewed the thread have done the same thing.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
i shall be giving a few quid when i sort out my paypal account cheers for the heads up

i like the sound of the equipment for the hospital also, but anyway i shall be giving a few quid ....

maybe this should be stickyed to prevent it going off the first page :D

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solskjaer99 said:
great idea, ive sent 5.00 quid (not much still waiting 4 the student loan), just hope all the other people who have viewed the thread have done the same thing.
Cheers all.

£5 is more than enough, it doesn't matter how much you donate, every little helps ;)

I think the current total stands around £90. In 24 hours that is outstanding.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haggler said:
done ! stephen trafford ?:D
:eek: No way is that a made up name ;)

Cheers all for your donations.

The people organising this (Julie and denis at RI) have acknowledged that ManUtdTalk have helped towards donations, and told me to pass on their thanks.

Keep them coming people. The latest total stand just short of £170.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's because of Sir Matt the Red Flag has flown so high and so proud for so many years. Glad to see this project go forth and I would expect the club to acknowledge it as well

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sent 5 quid like everyone else :p

Great idea, keep us updated on how the project comes along. Hopefully United will acknowledge it in some way as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
are there any normal bank account details I can use? unfortunately I don't have paypal but would like to chip in something to honour everything he did for the club. He was also godfather to my grandmother.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Busbymalone said:
are there any normal bank account details I can use? unfortunately I don't have paypal but would like to chip in something to honour everything he did for the club. He was also godfather to my grandmother.
If you have a bank account and an e-mail address, you can sign up for a Paypal account. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
IanDangerously said:
If you have a bank account and an e-mail address, you can sign up for a Paypal account. ;)
I tried to set one up once but it required me to note when I received some small deposits into my bank account - sounded like effort for something I didn't really need! ;) maybe I should make the effort now though...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts