Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you scroll down the pages you will find a payapl donation button on the base of the page. This allows payments directly to Redmaster towards the running of the forum. The more contributrions he receives, the less he has to rely on advertisements etc to raise small amounts of revenue.

This is purely voluntary and members should feel under no obligation to contribute. I would like to stress that any contributions do not constitute ownership in whole or in part. The site belongs ro Redmaster and always will, I hope.

Contributions will not "buy" modship or any other privileges.

For those who do contribute - our deepest thanks.

To contribute via paypal you can use either a credit card (Its very secure) or you can transfer money from an existing paypal account, as I am about to do.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Is there any way we could see a chart or something showing how much it costs to run this place? Definitely understand if you want to keep it confidential

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bandwidth is paid per set useage eg mine is 40GB per month and it gets used; this, with no web site attached, comes down to about 10GB or so a month, at a guess. 40GB is a massive exception, but my own site is VERY well used.

Add to that the hostage and domain name fees, probably about £90 a year?

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
go on then ive given a couple of quid via paypal so if another 45 do the same the fees should be covered ?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
You should have a donation guide like the charities do...

Giving £5 means redmaster can buy a fan to put next to the server so it doesn't overheat

Giving £20 means redmaster won't have to walk to the well in his back garden for water to put in his cup of tea

Giving £100 pays for the booze at the end of year manutdtalk party

:D

I'll stick a couple of quid in the pot ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Red Devil said:
If you scroll down the pages you will find a payapl donation button on the base of the page. This allows payments directly to Redmaster towards the running of the forum. The more contributrions he receives, the less he has to rely on advertisements etc to raise small amounts of revenue.

This is purely voluntary and members should feel under no obligation to contribute. I would like to stress that any contributions do not constitute ownership in whole or in part. The site belongs ro Redmaster and always will, I hope.

Contributions will not "buy" modship or any other privileges.

For those who do contribute - our deepest thanks.

To contribute via paypal you can use either a credit card (Its very secure) or you can transfer money from an existing paypal account, as I am about to do.
Lol I'm not so sure. That drop down menu goes down a long way lol.. ;)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shoutbox has been removed due to excessive costs on bandwidth. All the more reason why you should all contribute a little something towards the upkeep of the forum. I do not ask for much, a couple of quid here and there soon adds up people. All donations got to Redmaster for site upkeep. Nothing is for free thats worth anything.

The software costs annually as does the domain name. Hosting and bandwidth are not free either. For those not in the know, the bandwidth is the monthly allowance usage as stipulated in whatever package the owner has bought from the host, it is NOT limitless!!!

My own forum is funded entirely on donations. It is in my name, but all I do is run it. The members fund it in its entirety. As its attached to a thriving web site, I have had to go up to the maximum size allowed on the server and its all paid for.

So come on, click on paypal and send RM a couple of quid, every so often. The more of you pay, the more likelihood that the shoutbox can return at some time.

COUGH UP!!!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As RM says, the shoutbox is a bandwidth issue. To cover the Shoutbox would probably necessitate going onto an expensive package.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm sure it isn't cheap.

Possible suggestions
- a private area only accessible to members who pay an annual fee.... but then again paying members shouldn't be banned from that private area. At least not on a permanent basis.

- Merchandise? Revenue could be generated by selling merchandise. The site could start off with one or two simple items that people can use on a daily basis.

- charge for bigger avatars? non-paying members get an tiny, sissy avatar and paying members get bad-ass big avatars.

- images. 'Premium" members get to put more images/smileys in their posts.

Of course all this for a small donation to sustain the site and the shout box.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RedForceRising said:
I'm sure it isn't cheap.

Possible suggestions
- a private area only accessible to members who pay an annual fee.... but then again paying members shouldn't be banned from that private area. At least not on a permanent basis.

- Merchandise? Revenue could be generated by selling merchandise. The site could start off with one or two simple items that people can use on a daily basis.

- charge for bigger avatars? non-paying members get an tiny, sissy avatar and paying members get bad-ass big avatars.

- images. 'Premium" members get to put more images/smileys in their posts.

Of course all this for a small donation to sustain the site and the shout box.
a private area, access by password, is on the planning table after site modernisation (which also has to be paid for).

Merchandise? Depends on what is on offer? Its not easy and someone has to buy the stuff before it can be sold, who wants that risk?

Avatars - no, dead against this one. I come in to read, not look at pretty pictures.

images again equals bandwidth and also see rules on copyright issues.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Red Devil said:
a private area, access by password, is on the planning table after site modernisation (which also has to be paid for).

Merchandise? Depends on what is on offer? Its not easy and someone has to buy the stuff before it can be sold, who wants that risk?

Avatars - no, dead against this one. I come in to read, not look at pretty pictures.

images again equals bandwidth and also see rules on copyright issues.

you never know till you try......

How about selling signed pictures of Carly in a bikini ;)

Z

·
0 Posts
The last time pictures of Carly in a bikini were on here we got hacked :rolleyes:

With regard to your suggestions RFR, I don't agree to charging members
to view certain areas. For a start I don't think anyone would pay to view
a forum, and I think all parts of the forum should be free to all.
Would you pay extra for a bigger avatar? I know I wouldn't.

RD: Bandwidth is not a problem if people host the images in a photobucket account.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
-zuco- said:
RD: Bandwidth is not a problem if people host the images in a photobucket account.
I know, but thats only if they are used. This image is not, its loaded directly onto the site, hence, using bandwidth.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts