Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sky Set To Sweep Premier League Rights With £1.7bn Deal

The Daily Mail reports that Sky Sports has succeeded with an initial first-round offer to retain their current quota of Premier League matches, putting them in pole position to make it a clean sweep when bidding resumes.

It is understood that the satellite television company tabled a bid of over £1.3 billion for four out of the six available sets of live games, which matches their coverage at the moment.

The two remaining packages, currently held by Setanta, are yet to be brokered, but there is a very real chance that Sky could soon own all the rights to televising live football from England's top flight.

ESPN are the other company in the mix, but the extent of their interest is unknown and it is unclear whether they have actually put forth any solid - or serious - offer.

Regardless, it is all but certain that Premier League clubs will receive a collective cash-injection of over £1.7bn - the sum of last year's auctions - because of this new deal.

goal.com

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Music to my ears, Setanta show must games now and i can't be bothered getting that in. Hope Sky gets the rights for all the games. Sick of watching United online.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
setanta and espn are battling it out for the rights to show the 40 or so other matches that sky dont currently have, think setanta eill probably retain the current deal they have and still show matches.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good that SKY get the lions share, their coverage since 1992 has been first class and they have lead the way - a lot of the other TV co's follow their innovations.
Setanta's yellow/black logo does my head in !!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
320 Posts
about time all the live football was on sky again, setanta having a laugh wanting £15 a month.

i wouldnt mind if there was something like the old premiership plus again, 50 games for £50

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
So if they get them all does that mean they will show every single game live of every club or what? I hate watching stream and i hate sultana its crap and there comentators are crap too.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
So ****in what,Sky are a bunch of robbing ***** too ..............AAAAAAAAAARGGGHHH this shit brings out my temper!! ALL FOOTBALL SHOULD BE SHOWN ON STANDARD CHANNELS.EVERY SINGLE GAME,**** TV MONEY,its nots like we would just stop because of the lack of cash.Lower clubs could get some sort of incentive.Sky and all it stands for is a ****.........

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Here's it from a more reliable source - (Sky Sports)

Premier League live on Sky
Sky Sports gets four out of six live packages

Premier League: Live on BSkyB

The Premier League has announced it has awarded four out of the six packages of live UK rights to BSkyB for seasons 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13.

The two remaining packages, each of 23 live games, will go to a second round of bidding "in due course".

Sky Sports has broadcast live Premier League action to a growing army of supporters since the competition's inception in 1992 and currently shows 92 live games each season.

Every Premier League match on Sky Sports is now screened in High Definition to further enhance the viewing experience.

Numerous memorable Premier League matches have been shown live on Sky Sports, including Liverpool's unforgettable 4-3 victory over Newcastle United at Anfield back in the closing stages of the 1995/96 season.

This season has already seen several vital encounters between the title-chasers, with Liverpool's victory over Chelsea live on Sky Sports last Sunday.

This weekend sees the North London derby between Tottenham and Arsenal at White Hart Lane, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1, when Robbie Keane could come up against Andrey Arshavin.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
yay. tbh honest i couldnt care if it was sky or setanta. just one will do. sick of all these mupitle channels having rights. just stick it all on one station and let us watch. but ill go with sky because they been realible for past 20 odd years

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
It's good to see Sky still have their package. Sky is miles ahead of any other broadcasting company in terms of their football.

As for the other two, if Setanta lose out it will be a massive blow for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts