Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newcastle agree £6m fee for Smith

Smith started his career with hometown club Leeds

Newcastle have confirmed they have agreed a fee with Manchester United for England striker Alan Smith.

The Magpies are in talks with the 26-year-old, who has been linked to a host of Premiership clubs, and it is believed the deal is worth £6m.

Smith could even make his Newcastle debut alongside former Leeds team-mate Mark Viduka in a pre-season friendly against Sampdoria on Sunday.

Out-of-contract Lyon captain Cacapa, 31, is also in talks with Newcastle.

The Brazilian central defender skippered the French champions in each of their last five title-winning seasons.

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has so far added Viduka, Joey Barton, David Rozehnal and Geremi to the squad since arriving at the club.

But with six players departing and Kieron Dyer also set to leave, Allardyce has been frustrated over the lack of new faces.

However, the club are hopeful of pipping north-east rivals Middlesbrough and Sunderland, as well as the likes of Everton and Tottenham, to Smith's signature.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson had previously admitted there was plenty of interest in the player.

Everton's chase is thought to be dependent upon them offloading James Beattie, while Boro's bid looks to have stalled.

Smith has two years left on his current United deal but it had been expected that he would be sold before the start of the season.

He battled back from a broken leg to play last season but the offer of a new deal at Old Trafford has not materialised.

The striker was signed from Leeds for £7m three years ago.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
im not sure if Smith will accept personal terms there.....and tbh i hope he says no to them and stays with us.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd take Tevez over Smith - but I am a fan of Smithy, he has just got a good attitude and he runs his legs off for us.

If he does go I hope everyone does not turn against him

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
I'd take Tevez over Smith - but I am a fan of Smithy, he has just got a good attitude and he runs his legs off for us.

yeah so would i....so would most people.

But imo he should stay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
£6million is definatley worth it but selling him and Rossi is making our striking ranks look a bit thin Rooney, Solsjkaer and Saha (both injury Prone) Ronaldo can play up front. Providing Tevez comes then it may weigh its self out abit but it looks like that is going to go to a high court thing so we may have to wait till January to sign him:(

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:

I doubt any fans will turn against him. He well-liked by the OT faithful for his hard-working attitude but after an impressive start at United he's never really shown the quality one might expect from a United player.

His first team chances would be limited this season so I don't blame him if he wants to leave, especially since he broke into the England squad at the end of last season.

He needs to be playing regularly and will want to do so after missing so much of last season because of that horrific injury at Anfield the previous season.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Someone mentioned Smith is surplus to requirements, I agree 100%. I don't think he has what it take now, he hasn't been the same since his injury

·
Registered
121 Posts
Personally i like him, his attitude towards the fight is second to none. He was also accepted by the united faithful from Leeds and that takes a special player to do that. Some might say 'so was Eric' but we all know what 'THE SCUM' meant to Smiith. I still think that he wasnt given enough games and was unfortunate to miss out on an FA Cup final place, hope he stays.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Just saw on sky sports news. They talked to smith outside a shop and said "anything to say to the newcastle fans, are you a newcastle player yet?". He said "not yet hopefully in the next 24 hours it will be sorted"!

Oh well, so now we more or less definately have 1 striker fit, even if we use ronaldo or anderson or giggs upfront, we leave ourselves exposed in other positions!

SAF we need strikers!

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rooneyNo10 said:
Just saw on sky sports news. They talked to smith outside a shop and said "anything to say to the newcastle fans, are you a newcastle player yet?". He said "not yet hopefully in the next 24 hours it will be sorted"!

Oh well, so now we more or less definately have 1 striker fit, even if we use ronaldo or anderson or giggs upfront, we leave ourselves exposed in other positions!

SAF we need strikers!
Don't panic - I'm sure he knows this :p

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
He'll get more fotty there than here. Well with solskjaer and saha fit be would anyway! With tevez he would be 5th choice, at newcastle he's 3rd or 4th choice!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
He must be at least 3rd choice up there. Oba Martins and Viduka maybe be the first picks but he surely must be one to chose before Ameobi and this Albert Luque.
Well...when if he leaves us, Good luck at Magpies Smithy

1 - 20 of 48 Posts