Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newcastle agree £6m fee for Smith

Smith started his career with hometown club Leeds

Newcastle have confirmed they have agreed a fee with Manchester United for England striker Alan Smith.

The Magpies are in talks with the 26-year-old, who has been linked to a host of Premiership clubs, and it is believed the deal is worth £6m.

Smith could even make his Newcastle debut alongside former Leeds team-mate Mark Viduka in a pre-season friendly against Sampdoria on Sunday.

Out-of-contract Lyon captain Cacapa, 31, is also in talks with Newcastle.

The Brazilian central defender skippered the French champions in each of their last five title-winning seasons.

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has so far added Viduka, Joey Barton, David Rozehnal and Geremi to the squad since arriving at the club.

But with six players departing and Kieron Dyer also set to leave, Allardyce has been frustrated over the lack of new faces.

However, the club are hopeful of pipping north-east rivals Middlesbrough and Sunderland, as well as the likes of Everton and Tottenham, to Smith's signature.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson had previously admitted there was plenty of interest in the player.

Everton's chase is thought to be dependent upon them offloading James Beattie, while Boro's bid looks to have stalled.

Smith has two years left on his current United deal but it had been expected that he would be sold before the start of the season.

He battled back from a broken leg to play last season but the offer of a new deal at Old Trafford has not materialised.

The striker was signed from Leeds for £7m three years ago.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd take Tevez over Smith - but I am a fan of Smithy, he has just got a good attitude and he runs his legs off for us.

If he does go I hope everyone does not turn against him

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rooneyNo10 said:
Just saw on sky sports news. They talked to smith outside a shop and said "anything to say to the newcastle fans, are you a newcastle player yet?". He said "not yet hopefully in the next 24 hours it will be sorted"!

Oh well, so now we more or less definately have 1 striker fit, even if we use ronaldo or anderson or giggs upfront, we leave ourselves exposed in other positions!

SAF we need strikers!
Don't panic - I'm sure he knows this :p

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
chiboygeorge said:
Good bye well u will get ur best partnership with Mark Viduka
He play alongside Viduka at Leeds before - now he is with his friend again....

Tonight the United fans sing his name in the game with Doncaster so this is nice for him to know we all love him and wish him good luck for his future .. x

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
gonzolono said:
justice,is that a problem around here? or should i err on the side of precaution and limit myself - reign myself in, one might say - to perhaps the briefest of comments that are more succinctly put, that makes the point and nothing else? do you think it more appropriate to contribute in the minimum rather than the maximum, or sufficient some might add, and preclude myself from adding commentary to my thoughts and evaluations of our club's current plight, situation or state of affairs? would it more acceptable to the multitude to say my piece, fire off a few lines and leave as quickly as i had arrived, just as a teenage lad might do when he'd punched above his weight: not beat around the bush and leave readers with singular theoretical arguments, one at a time, with the assumption that these fine people cannot mentally juggle the complexities of intellectual interplay between related, conflicting or successive axioms?
or do i make a point, present analytical logical argument with supporting evidence, theory, deduction, justification and conclusion: making the assumption that there are readers of this forum with the mental capacities to engage in cogent debate that enjoy the challenge of persuasion. does it show a greater respect for the intelligence of this online community to assume that there are individuals with the abilities to be contemplative, reflective and forthright in their viewpoints rather than a group of monosyllabic morons whose aim is to outdo another via their comments and returns? it can be argued that football commentary is as intellectual and thought-provoking as any other subject under debate and its status as such is only dependent upon the individuals who partake in its discussion.

so,my friend, you are left with a choice: i know which side of the pitch i stand on, so where do you play?

gonzolono
Oh sh*t this was funny for me to read !!!

I learn more new English words from this one post than from all posts I think so thankyou very much gonzolono for doing this, lol.......I take maybe 20 mins to work all this out but now I have many new words.

It's nice when people take time to write good posts with many good points in them - if Justice and others dont like it thats bad luck for them really - they dont read this if they dont like it.

Keep it up please I like these post ok ... x

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
rubberdecky83 said:
Smith scores bullet header on Toon debut, might be eniugh to get himself into their starting line-up for their first game of the season.

Sad to see him go but you know he will do well, fingers crossed he'll do Chelsea and the Pool when they get to St James's, like having a man on the inside...
I miss him already, lol....he was a pretty good player - cute as hell too :p

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Justice said:
We had ex-ref Matt Messias (the one who hit Robbie Savage in the face) come to our school to give us a talk about motivation before our exams. He went on for 10 minutes about how Alan Smith would try and piss him off. In the end I realised this ref was a complete prick =]
He sounds like an asshole anyway because the refs should be above all this kind of stuff I think.......a ref has control of all things going on in the pitch so how can he complain Smithy was trying to wind him up - Hmmmmmmmmm......?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.