Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
gonzolono said:
smith has gone to newcastle and i must say that i'm quite glad: both for united and smith. there is no doubting that throughout his career smith has been a tough player, both in his style of play and his attitude towards winning.
i was quite upbeat about him when he signed. however, there is no escaping the fact that as a striker for man utd he wasn't a reliable frontman. granted, he played a blinder against roma, middlesborough and watford and we won the league without being reliant on an out-and-out striker (ie goals coming from everywhere) but hold-up play is not enough in the modern united team. moreover, when did we see anything like the player he was at leeds or even the first few games of his united career?
it is my belief that our success this year was down to having attacking forward players that were interchangeable and flexible. think of the times you saw the front five swap positions, float around the final third, pulling defenders out of position and generally causing mayhem. to me, smith is a not of this ilk. he is an old-fashioned forward, relying on the players behind him rather than creating chances for himself or others. tevez, rooney, ronaldo (and nani and anderson potentially) are.
this is why i think he will do well and fit in at newcastle. he is the sort of player that deserves to do well in the epl. he has guts, he works 'like a beast' to borrow a phrase of the season and he is the epitome of everything that players like kieran richardson, arjen robben and juan seba veron are not.

mr smith, goodnight and good luck.
jesus christ, essay much?

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Half of them deserved it, lol....

We had ex-ref Matt Messias (the one who hit Robbie Savage in the face) come to our school to give us a talk about motivation before our exams. He went on for 10 minutes about how Alan Smith would try and piss him off. In the end I realised this ref was a complete prick =]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.