Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Will he get ahead of Butt, Barton, Emre, Duff and N'Zogbia ? I doubt it. Its a weird move from his part. He wasnts regular first team football and unless he's willing to play left back, I cant see him getting it at Newcastle.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
yeah but Owen looks to wanna to leave. As soon as he's 100% he might be off....IF someone wants to spend all this money they will ask for him to let him leave. But he maybe staying put.

·
Registered
7 Posts
good night and good luck

smith has gone to newcastle and i must say that i'm quite glad: both for united and smith. there is no doubting that throughout his career smith has been a tough player, both in his style of play and his attitude towards winning.
i was quite upbeat about him when he signed. however, there is no escaping the fact that as a striker for man utd he wasn't a reliable frontman. granted, he played a blinder against roma, middlesborough and watford and we won the league without being reliant on an out-and-out striker (ie goals coming from everywhere) but hold-up play is not enough in the modern united team. moreover, when did we see anything like the player he was at leeds or even the first few games of his united career?
it is my belief that our success this year was down to having attacking forward players that were interchangeable and flexible. think of the times you saw the front five swap positions, float around the final third, pulling defenders out of position and generally causing mayhem. to me, smith is a not of this ilk. he is an old-fashioned forward, relying on the players behind him rather than creating chances for himself or others. tevez, rooney, ronaldo (and nani and anderson potentially) are.
this is why i think he will do well and fit in at newcastle. he is the sort of player that deserves to do well in the epl. he has guts, he works 'like a beast' to borrow a phrase of the season and he is the epitome of everything that players like kieran richardson, arjen robben and juan seba veron are not.

mr smith, goodnight and good luck.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
gonzolono said:
smith has gone to newcastle and i must say that i'm quite glad: both for united and smith. there is no doubting that throughout his career smith has been a tough player, both in his style of play and his attitude towards winning.
i was quite upbeat about him when he signed. however, there is no escaping the fact that as a striker for man utd he wasn't a reliable frontman. granted, he played a blinder against roma, middlesborough and watford and we won the league without being reliant on an out-and-out striker (ie goals coming from everywhere) but hold-up play is not enough in the modern united team. moreover, when did we see anything like the player he was at leeds or even the first few games of his united career?
it is my belief that our success this year was down to having attacking forward players that were interchangeable and flexible. think of the times you saw the front five swap positions, float around the final third, pulling defenders out of position and generally causing mayhem. to me, smith is a not of this ilk. he is an old-fashioned forward, relying on the players behind him rather than creating chances for himself or others. tevez, rooney, ronaldo (and nani and anderson potentially) are.
this is why i think he will do well and fit in at newcastle. he is the sort of player that deserves to do well in the epl. he has guts, he works 'like a beast' to borrow a phrase of the season and he is the epitome of everything that players like kieran richardson, arjen robben and juan seba veron are not.

mr smith, goodnight and good luck.
jesus christ, essay much?

·
Registered
7 Posts
justice,is that a problem around here? or should i err on the side of precaution and limit myself - reign myself in, one might say - to perhaps the briefest of comments that are more succinctly put, that makes the point and nothing else? do you think it more appropriate to contribute in the minimum rather than the maximum, or sufficient some might add, and preclude myself from adding commentary to my thoughts and evaluations of our club's current plight, situation or state of affairs? would it more acceptable to the multitude to say my piece, fire off a few lines and leave as quickly as i had arrived, just as a teenage lad might do when he'd punched above his weight: not beat around the bush and leave readers with singular theoretical arguments, one at a time, with the assumption that these fine people cannot mentally juggle the complexities of intellectual interplay between related, conflicting or successive axioms?
or do i make a point, present analytical logical argument with supporting evidence, theory, deduction, justification and conclusion: making the assumption that there are readers of this forum with the mental capacities to engage in cogent debate that enjoy the challenge of persuasion. does it show a greater respect for the intelligence of this online community to assume that there are individuals with the abilities to be contemplative, reflective and forthright in their viewpoints rather than a group of monosyllabic morons whose aim is to outdo another via their comments and returns? it can be argued that football commentary is as intellectual and thought-provoking as any other subject under debate and its status as such is only dependent upon the individuals who partake in its discussion.

so,my friend, you are left with a choice: i know which side of the pitch i stand on, so where do you play?

gonzolono

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
chiboygeorge said:
Good bye well u will get ur best partnership with Mark Viduka
He play alongside Viduka at Leeds before - now he is with his friend again....

Tonight the United fans sing his name in the game with Doncaster so this is nice for him to know we all love him and wish him good luck for his future .. x

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
gonzolono said:
justice,is that a problem around here? or should i err on the side of precaution and limit myself - reign myself in, one might say - to perhaps the briefest of comments that are more succinctly put, that makes the point and nothing else? do you think it more appropriate to contribute in the minimum rather than the maximum, or sufficient some might add, and preclude myself from adding commentary to my thoughts and evaluations of our club's current plight, situation or state of affairs? would it more acceptable to the multitude to say my piece, fire off a few lines and leave as quickly as i had arrived, just as a teenage lad might do when he'd punched above his weight: not beat around the bush and leave readers with singular theoretical arguments, one at a time, with the assumption that these fine people cannot mentally juggle the complexities of intellectual interplay between related, conflicting or successive axioms?
or do i make a point, present analytical logical argument with supporting evidence, theory, deduction, justification and conclusion: making the assumption that there are readers of this forum with the mental capacities to engage in cogent debate that enjoy the challenge of persuasion. does it show a greater respect for the intelligence of this online community to assume that there are individuals with the abilities to be contemplative, reflective and forthright in their viewpoints rather than a group of monosyllabic morons whose aim is to outdo another via their comments and returns? it can be argued that football commentary is as intellectual and thought-provoking as any other subject under debate and its status as such is only dependent upon the individuals who partake in its discussion.

so,my friend, you are left with a choice: i know which side of the pitch i stand on, so where do you play?

gonzolono
Oh sh*t this was funny for me to read !!!

I learn more new English words from this one post than from all posts I think so thankyou very much gonzolono for doing this, lol.......I take maybe 20 mins to work all this out but now I have many new words.

It's nice when people take time to write good posts with many good points in them - if Justice and others dont like it thats bad luck for them really - they dont read this if they dont like it.

Keep it up please I like these post ok ... x

·
Registered
40 Posts
Give me a shirt today and i will run my heart out for united. Don't fool ourselves. He only came to United because Leeds were relegated and it was his best chance of winning medals. He did it for selfish, not selfless, reasons.

People were saying "Shit! Smith is the only fit striker that we've got." (at least, that's what I was saying)

Be honest, in those days when we were relying on Smith, were you expecting United to knock in a goal or two, or just hoping in an optimistic 'please let it happen' manner?

The goal against Fulham was the only goal that he scored, that season, which you wouldn't expect any Championship striker to score. The only reason he got any goals was because his job was to stand in the penalty box and be the target for balls played in. Let's not make him out to be a savior that stepped up to the plate. Ability wise, he did the bare basics that the role demanded from him.

Saha, Ruud, Rooney and even, a trying to regain fitness, Ole all brought unique qualities to the target man role that Smith didn't.

For his ****ing accent alone he should have been ever let near United.

Yorkshire twat. Leeds scum.

·
Registered
505 Posts
RedArmy said:
Give me a shirt today and i will run my heart out for united. Don't fool ourselves. He only came to United because Leeds were relegated and it was his best chance of winning medals. He did it for selfish, not selfless, reasons.

People were saying "Shit! Smith is the only fit striker that we've got." (at least, that's what I was saying)

Be honest, in those days when we were relying on Smith, were you expecting United to knock in a goal or two, or just hoping in an optimistic 'please let it happen' manner?

The goal against Fulham was the only goal that he scored, that season, which you wouldn't expect any Championship striker to score. The only reason he got any goals was because his job was to stand in the penalty box and be the target for balls played in. Let's not make him out to be a savior that stepped up to the plate. Ability wise, he did the bare basics that the role demanded from him.

Saha, Ruud, Rooney and even, a trying to regain fitness, Ole all brought unique qualities to the target man role that Smith didn't.

For his ****ing accent alone he should have been ever let near United.

Yorkshire twat. Leeds scum.
Thank you!

Summed up all my feelings there.

Anyway i'm gonna move this to the General Football/banter board, Smith's no longer associated with United and I thank god for that.

Talentless little ratface.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.