Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is basically exactly as the title says. In football these days, especially after all of England's recent woes, two words have been doing the rounds once more. Technical Ability. Now there are some players whom we can all agree either have it or had it, as it were. Zinedine Zidane, no brainer. Frank Ribery, yep. Pretty much every Brazilian ever born, more or less. Luca Toni, Andrea Pirlo & maybe even Joe Cole, to a lesser degree of course. However can anyone cook up an exact ,textbook, definition of what Technical Ability is? If you can do a million step overs is that technical ability? What if you still get tackled after the step over, does that mean, you don't have it after all? Maybe it fancy footwork. Maybe it''s just being able to beat your man whether or not your need flash tricks to do so. Maybe just gliding past opponents sans any tricks is good enough. Ball control? Shot placement? The ability to produce defense splitting passes? If you aren't a flashy player is it still possible to have technical ability? I'd love to hear opinions.

P.S. Also something to talk about might be English players "Alleged" lack of technical skill. I've heard it said that the climate may be the legitimate reason. Capello once tried to coach in Scotland and remarked "How are you supposed to train in this?" with reference to the blistering crosswinds. Wind, rain all combining to create exceptionally muddy i.e. torn and ragged, pitches. Is this why English football differs so greatly from the continent? Again Love a good discussion, please. :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
The very best players have 'technical ability'. I guess it incorporates
every aspect of how a footballer can be amazing.
They need a silky, light touch, great awareness is important and the ability
to 'slow' the game down and play it at their own pace eg Scholes, Berbatov,
Xavi, Zidane and Fabregas to name a few.

People like Ronaldo have great technique, the way they can manipulte the ball
and run at great speeds with the ball perfectly in control.
Passing and shooting/free kicks are also basic requirements in having good
'technical ability'.

To your point about the English national side:
I feel the English are brought up differently (football wise) to the likes of Spain,
Portugal, France and South American countries. Those places concentrate more
on skills, finesse and technique, where as the English would be more about
power, endurance, aggression and ability. (to some extent)

This needs to be looked at from a young age, when training kids.
I think Brooking is looking into improving the schools of excellence and
focusing more on skills. England still have a great team but the future
successes all depend on the next batch of kids breaking through the ranks.
They need to be taught right and given every opportunity that England's
European counterparts get.

England have players with 'good technical ability' coming through or in the
team already. Players like Cole, Rooney, Carrick, Barry, Gerrard, Rio, Lampard,
SWP, Richards, Johnson, Lennon, Downing, Jenas, Defoe, Owen, Bex even....
all have 'good techincal ability', whatever that means? Out of that lot you could
pick a very good international team but that's Capello's job....

And future hopefuls like Noble, Walcott, Johnson, Young, Gaby, Wheater, Bentley,
Beevers, Derbyshire, Guthrie, Sturridge, Simmo, Cattermole, Milner, NZogbia,
Kitson, O'Hara are all players who possess some form of good technical ability
and are potentially very good players. In my eyes that's a decent young batch
there, but Im not sure how it would compare to other countries. Time will tell...

So there is hope for you's yet yis English *^&^& ;)
and thats coming from an Irishman :rolleyes:

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
dlan4327 said:
This thread is basically exactly as the title says. In football these days, especially after all of England's recent woes, two words have been doing the rounds once more. Technical Ability. Now there are some players whom we can all agree either have it or had it, as it were. Zinedine Zidane, no brainer. Frank Ribery, yep. Pretty much every Brazilian ever born, more or less. Luca Toni, Andrea Pirlo & maybe even Joe Cole, to a lesser degree of course. However can anyone cook up an exact ,textbook, definition of what Technical Ability is? If you can do a million step overs is that technical ability? What if you still get tackled after the step over, does that mean, you don't have it after all? Maybe it fancy footwork. Maybe it''s just being able to beat your man whether or not your need flash tricks to do so. Maybe just gliding past opponents sans any tricks is good enough. Ball control? Shot placement? The ability to produce defense splitting passes? If you aren't a flashy player is it still possible to have technical ability? I'd love to hear opinions.

P.S. Also something to talk about might be English players "Alleged" lack of technical skill. I've heard it said that the climate may be the legitimate reason. Capello once tried to coach in Scotland and remarked "How are you supposed to train in this?" with reference to the blistering crosswinds. Wind, rain all combining to create exceptionally muddy i.e. torn and ragged, pitches. Is this why English football differs so greatly from the continent? Again Love a good discussion, please. :)
??? he's an absolute log
technical ability - it's how good you treat the ball imo...how you touch it, what you can do with it, how you hit etc....you must have some talent but hard work is what is required to improve it...regarding english - it's a sort of an evolution of football in different parts of the world. it's goes in your nation genes if you're being under the same surroundings to say long story short. it's in a nature of a human being...that's why you use the term "different culture " - because it's been developing for years. but i think you have some technically great players. not as fancy as brasilians but great

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would regard technical ability as passing, dribbling, controlling, shooting, and probably reading the game to an extent but that is questionable, I would regard it as what you can do with the ball at your feet.

Regarding British players I don't put it down to the weather but training and coaching at a young age, Holland have a country smaller than Yorkshire but they produce top class talent, they know how to develop players technical abilities, in England we do not have very good coaches. Much more should be spent on coaching youngsters and how to get the best out of them.

Moreover the rules which were introduced stating that clubs can only take youngsters within an hour or two of the ground is idiotic. Clubs such as United produced top class youngsters until this idiotic rule was introduced, and given the choice most parents would prefer to send them to a top class club with a great reputation, just as they want to send their kids to the best school they possibly can.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i think technical ability is about not how u can do skill with the ball. but how ur mind is for the game. i dnt think it applies to the physical aspect at all seeing as u get countless players with different techniques. if u have the will and the passion to succeed and try ur hardest, like barnsley for example showed a lot of technical ability to beat 2 top prem teams. the ability to sense where ur teammates are and where oppenents are without even glancing up. the ability to kno when someone is goin to make a run and then placin a perfect pass to them, and keeping ur head up in a game, have confindence in urself even if u are losing 2 or 3 - 0. faith and passion is what earns a comeback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts