Manchester United Talk banner

So what's the missing ingredient?

2K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Jay007 
lol. I've just posted this in the achilles heel thread. This is what I put in the match thread a few minutes ago about our midfield:

Midfield: As it happens, I thought the only two players who were actually decent were in midfield, and that's Park and Anderson. Both worked tirelessly to no reward. However, there was something missing which allowed Arsenal to play through us. Perhaps the most troubling position for us is in midfield, which is odd considering Park and Anderson played well today. We're lacking a powerful midfielder who can control the tempo of a game - Carrick usually does the job, but he didn't today. I don't think he's the solution, and I don't thnk Hargreaves is, we need to bring someone in, and here's what I would propose: we sell Fletcher, Park and Hargreaves. This isn't in the heat of the moment either, but it's something that's evident; none of these three players are good enough. Fletcher is a great guy, no doubt, but is he good enough? Probably not - same goes for Park, and he won't get the games. Is he really happy just coming in once a month for the odd match? Hagreaves? Well I know a lot of you like him, but I'm not a fan, he's not the solution, and he can't stay fit. Saha was bashed for it, and so should he.

With those three gone, this would leave us with a midfield of Scholes, Carrick, Anderson, Giggs, Nani and Possebon. Not enough, but then we bring in one powerful midfielder, much like Chelsea have. In the mold of a Ballack or a Mikel, someone who can dominate a midfield and control the tempo and offer some physicality. The three players I suggested selling will probably get us around twenty million, and considering we need thirty for Tevez, I doubt we'll have the cash to bring in someone of the calibre I just mentioned. Oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.