Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all the creaming over messi and whilst acknowledging he is a fine player if you said 60 million plus messi for wayne i would turn you down like a shot .

rooney is turning into the player we all knew he could be .

2 years further down the line and he will be the total package

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
60 million plus Messi for me would be too good to turn down as i think that would be the answer to our left wing problem and would also give us the funds to sign the clincal striker we need and maybe sign Tevez permanently!

although if you offered me a straight swap of Messi or Rooney id choose Rooney every single time! the boy has absolutely everything you want in a player!he has pace hes strong as an ox great vision great passing has the fire in his belly can finish has a great shot from distance and has great workrate! amazing

BUT.........
can he keep up his peformances of the past month up for a season and maybe 2 seasons in a row?thats the one downfall of his game to me Roon goes through a bad patch and then he will be world class for say 5 games and then back to the bad patch for another 5 games!

G

·
Rooney is an amazing player and a lot of the time he's the heartbeat of our team, but 60 mill plus Messi? Come on Haggs, don't talk soft.

G

·
No. MEssi doesn't offer us what Rooney does.

Rooney is United. And will be our key player for the next 10 years. If that's down the wing, up top, in the hole, or in centre midfield remains to be seen!
We'd have Messi AND 60 million to get another Rooney :rolleyes:

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
60 million plus Messi for me would be too good to turn down as i think that would be the answer to our left wing problem and would also give us the funds to sign the clincal striker we need and maybe sign Tevez permanently!

although if you offered me a straight swap of Messi or Rooney id choose Rooney every single time! the boy has absolutely everything you want in a player!he has pace hes strong as an ox great vision great passing has the fire in his belly can finish has a great shot from distance and has great workrate! amazing

BUT.........
can he keep up his peformances of the past month up for a season and maybe 2 seasons in a row?thats the one downfall of his game to me Roon goes through a bad patch and then he will be world class for say 5 games and then back to the bad patch for another 5 games!
I tend to agree. They're clearly different players, and since there's no alternative to Rooney in the United squad, I'd also say no. You'd win in creativity, clearly, but loose in stopping power. So I wouldn't do a 1 on 1 swap, but I think that neither would Barça.

However, 60 million AND Messi, that's too good to pass, imo. Even for a symbol like Rooney. Of course, that would mean they'd both agree to the change, since it's clear they're both happy where they are.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I wouldn't no. Rooney is the heartbeat of Manchester United now. He has kind of taken Roy Keane's boots, in the sense that when we need someone to really take control of the match, Rooneys steps up.

Messi is the best player on the planet but Rooney has become Man United personified.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
"Wayne Rooney is more than just a Manchester United football player. He embodies Manchester United" (RFR May 2009) :)

I would reject 60million pounds plus Lionel Messi outright.

Here's why:

Wayne Rooney embodies Manchester United for me.

With 60million we could probably buy a hard-working, clinical striker who is maybe technically better than Rooney, but he wouldn't be Rooney.

For me, it's better to not win than win with the wrong people.

When I started following Man Utd, it was mainly because of Ryan Giggs. He was my hero.
My dad was an abusive alcoholic and I probably needed a hero. Ryan Giggs and later Canotna + Keane were my substitute heroes.

Wayne Rooney is the kinda player that gives Manchester credibillity, as well as character and one the fans love to adore.

And on his day he is one of the best in the world. He is the rare instance of charisma + determination + passion + team ethic AND skill.

This season, Rooney's finishing has become slightly better and although still not consistent, he is well on his way to becoming truly magnificent.

No matter whom you bought with 60mil. It wouldn't be Wayne.

If you told me that we wouldn't win anything with Wayne for the next 5 seasons, but if we sold him for Messi plus 60mil we would, I still wouldn't take it.

I'd rather fail with Wayne than win with Messi.

KTRFFH!

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Find me another Rooney. We can't get Kaka or Gerrard for 60mil.
Kaka or Gerrard are not Rooneys, you know...

the closest I see, at the moment, might (and big emphasis on might) be Hulk, the brazilian from porto, and he'd cost way less than 60 mill.

Besides, there's the whole iconic thing. While RFR's point isn't without merit, it's from another time. Football is a bussiness, and it would be a great deal to swap Rooney and 60 mill for Messi, mainly because I don't think he's worth it.

In a simple footballing comparison, Messi wins. Not to add to the fact that Messi and Ronaldo would be mindblowing... :eek:

However, they're different players, and like I said before, United's style needs Rooney more than it needs Messi, because you need that sort of power in the squad, something that Messi cannot replace.

So, if we add to the contribution that each player does to the squad, I don't see anyone capable of substituting Rooney, and even with the added quality, it would suffer. Adding the fact that Rooney is english, and a fan favorite, a player with many years still to give, and a knowledge of the PL that Messi does not have, a one on one swap wouldn't work in United's interest, nor Barça's.

However, I do see Messi taking Berba's place and Rooney playing further ahead, like henry does in barça, and Ronaldo like an Eto'o, because I see Messi as capable of doing pretty much everything up front, even play as number 10.

Of course, we're forgetting the enormous impact that 2 great players have on Barcelona's offensive power, Xavi and Iniesta. You want someone to pick for next season, get Iniesta.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.