Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
ManUtd19 said:
Secondly, Carlos Queiroz wasn't given a chance to succeed at Real Madrid. He was told who to put on the pitch and the club sold and bought players without his consent. He was never in charge so no one really knows how he would fare as a manager.
Thats exactly what I was going to say.

And, being a club manager and a national "manager" are two completely different things.

The one major difference being at international level, your not a manager, your a head coach which is completely different, and since Queiroz is a fantastic coach he may well do well with Portugal.

Hopefully he does, and I wish him well.

Also, I can understand why he has left and I have no problems with it. Being given the opportunity to manage your country is the highest honour you can receive. I've continually said I think its the only job he would have left for.

I say good luck to him.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
dublin red said:
What I was trying to say is that great coaches don't necessarily make great managers. Brian Kidd comes to mind as does Steve Mc Claren . After all one of the reasons Carlos took the Portugal job was because David Gill could not guarantee he would automatically succeed Fergie when he retires .
But our loss is definitely Portugals gain . I do wish him every success and you never know he might come back as manager one day .
But managing a national team and a club team are totally different though.

To manage a national team, you need to be a great coach, which Carlos is.

I believe one of the reasons McClaren did not succeed was because he doesn't have a real knowledge of continental football, which Carlos does.

I hope he does well, but I can't see him coming back to manage us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts