Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Please? Always knew he was quality and I was on my knees for Fergie to sign him.
I'm nearly certain you probably didn't know anything about Arshavin before Euro 2008?!
But anyway, we didn't need to splash out on him after signing Berbatov for £30M and then having the whole Carlos Tevez saga where we didn't know if we were signing him or not.. We signed 2 Serbians who can play out wide and Fergie still has to get Nani to start performing since he cost a large sum of money a couple of seasons back..! We didn't need him to be honest.. Even though he's a far better player than Tevez..!

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
arshavin is a pretty classy player to be fair and his goals against liverpool were amazing! :O

The last goal!! and the i think it was the second too...quality and he has great feet and awareness and can run at players, destory defences and even though he is of a old age, he is only reached his peak so he can still play well for another season or so.

Fits into arsenal too, they needed a classy player with experience to help the young kids out and they all look out for him now.

I dunno whether he is top top class, but he is definately a top player and is sort of like a replacement for one of the older generation arsenal players.

Good wenger purchase.

pz!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It's pretty hard for United to buy every quality player, i knew he was a good player and i wanted him to come to OT but there are other teams to contend with, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal, unfortuanately he went to Arsenal.

But we have stolen some world class players from other teams, Cristiano ronaldo was first sited by a Liverpool scout, the only reason they didn't sign him was because he was to young, he could've went to Liverpool or Arsenal but luckily we got him :)

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
When Rooney joined us he scored a hat trick in the CL; Arshavin scored 4 times - whether he can maintain it is another matter. You could also argue that pathetic defending also contributed.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
What's the fuss about? Even Julio Baptista scored 4 against Liverpool. :p

Tbh, I think he will turn out to be a good signing for Arsenal. He's two-footed, played some excellent passes last night and can generate a lot of power in his shots. I was also impressed by his willingness to get forward in the last minute of the game to support Walcott - he sprinted as if his life depended on it!!!

However, he only had 2 Premier League goals before visiting Anfield so he hadn't set the World alight before last night and 3 of his goals were because of defensive errors by Liverpool. One game never makes or breaks a player but Wenger does have a good eye for talent so this could be the start of something special...or it could be one magical night that will always be the pinnacle of his Premier League career.

We'll see.

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
It would have been a huge risk signing someone that age that has never played outside he own country. Wenger's team lacked experience, he seemed the perfect siging for them. Someone with with a good few game miles up.

There is no denying he's a fantastic player and I, for one, had heard of him before Euro 2008 but it still doesn't mean that Wenger wasn't gambling.

He's done exceptionally well since he's arrived and he's a joy to watch. Eccentric ****** with his celebrations though, eh?:D

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts

Tbh, I think he will turn out to be a good signing for Arsenal. He's two-footed, played some excellent passes last night and can generate a lot of power in his shots. I was also impressed by his willingness to get forward in the last minute of the game to support Walcott - he sprinted as if his life depended on it!!!

However, he only had 2 Premier League goals before visiting Anfield so he hadn't set the World alight before last night and 3 of his goals were because of defensive errors by Liverpool. One game never makes or breaks a player but Wenger does have a good eye for talent so this could be the start of something special...or it could be one magical night that will always be the pinnacle of his Premier League career.

We'll see.
Bingo :)

I do rate Arshavin more than Julio though, but i think he dissapears far too much during games, like Walcott...

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
:eek:! Please tell me you didn't just compare Baptista with Arshavin! Arshavin is a class above & beyond.

I was for signing him from the moment he lead Zenit to the UEFA cup. He's proved he can handle the big stage.

I'm not talking Pool Vs Arsenal. I'm talking Russia during the Euro's & qualifying.

The man is simply one of the most amazing dribblers of the ball I've ever seen. Zidanesque.

You can berate me all you want & I know 'zidanesque' is used to describe almost every new talent but Arshavin deserves it.

Genius. Phenomenal ball control. Shooting ability. Creative. Can send a decent ball through. Makes gret runs.

Tick all the boxes. Yes I'm gushing over Arshavin. :rolleyes:

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
Cos we have ronaldo rooney berba nd tevez.....arshavin is 27, very good payer and a match winner but we dont need him. I think he completes arsenals set-up.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
you united didnt sign arshaven cause you cant always buy who you want, if utd started doin that then theyed be like the chelski rent boys buyin the league..:whistling:

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
you united didnt sign arshaven cause you cant always buy who you want, if utd started doin that then theyed be like the chelski rent boys buyin the league..:whistling:
This is all speculative anyway. Who knows who United have been looking at or sizing up? We used to make it public who we were interested in, and Chelski always dived in and offered more money, so now United keep quiet. The only 'public knowledge' of potential transfers are speculative journalism without any basis in fact.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I think we didn't sign him, because we already have Rooney. Simple as.

Just wish Rooney could finish like Arshavin though.

It's too early to tell, but I have a hunch he will turn out to be a good signing for them.

I watched the match last night and literally had my jaw open.

Here's the question though - can he play at the same level against Hull on a cold January day?
Well, he had to do the business back in mother RUssia, so I do think this guy will turn up regularly for the Gunners.

·
Banned
875 Posts
I think we didn't sign him, because we already have Rooney. Simple as.

Just wish Rooney could finish like Arshavin though.

It's too early to tell, but I have a hunch he will turn out to be a good signing for them.

I watched the match last night and literally had my jaw open.

Here's the question though - can he play at the same level against Hull on a cold January day?
Well, he had to do the business back in mother RUssia, so I do think this guy will turn up regularly for the Gunners.
He is from RUssia and Russia is colder then England

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do we have to sign every one day star or any good player?
I don't think Arshavin is as good as he seems to be after that four goals. We'll see in the future is it mistake that we didn't sign him or not. I think its not ;)

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
The fact is we didn't sign him because he is not the type of player we need, he is exactly like rooney, tevez and berbatov where he always seems to track back and lacks that scoring touch which is what we lack upfront.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts