Manchester United Talk banner

Man Of The Match vs Saints

21 - 40 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
southampton are playing pretty poor football. i think a second string side should be enough to overcome them.

-----------------------------------------foster--------------------------------------------------------

-----------neville------------------------evans-----------------vida-------------------oshea----

-------------giggs------------------------ando------------------possebon---------------nani---

----------------------------------------welback---------------rooney------------------------------

give about 15 minutes in the end to manucho and fabio if he's fit

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Tomasz
Rafael Evans Vida O shea
Park Fletcher Anderson Nani
Welbeck Manucho(Rooney)

An unexperienced side and i bet it would probably look like this, hope the saints don't create any problems.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
My team:

--------------------------------------Foster-------------------------------------------

---Neville------------O'Shea-----------------------Evans---------------Fabio-----

-----------------------Possebon------------Gibson--------------------------------
--------------------------------------Giggs-------------------------------------------

----------Nani-----------------------------------------------------Rooney----------

-------------------------------------Wellbeck---------------------------------------

I've put Neville in there just incase as we don't know how Fabio will be yet, and Rafael will play vs Derby with Neville going back to RB vs Chelsea.

Vidic needs a bit of a rest as we've some big games coming up.

Its not really a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation. Giggs, Nani and Rooney have 100% free lisence to do what they want, similar to how we have played in the Carling Cup matches.

This makes sense to me as this way all of our 7 CM's will play in the next 3 games.

I doubt it will happen this way, but I hope it does.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
feel southampton could pull a shocker over us if we underestimate them too much and put out a severely weakened side. They will have nothing to lose and are in same boat as Forest.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
--------------------------------------TK-------------------------------------------

---Rafa------------Vid-----------------------Evans---------------O'Shea-----

-----------------------Possebon------------Gibson----------------------------

-------Nani----------------------------------------------------Giggs------------

-------------------------Rooney--------Welbeck-------------------------------

Rooney to feed Welbeck constantly to continue to help the young lad's confidence grow. 3-0 to United.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Southampton are 23rd in the Championship, I'm thinking they might phone it in to be honest, the last things they need are cup games draining their paper-thin squad.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I would love to see Foster start and I don't think this one should be too difficult.
Welbeck should get a start for this game.

Think Park will start this game and Nani will start against Derby.

Rooney - Welbeck.

Park - Anderson - Possebon - Fletcher

O'Shea - Vidic - Evans - Rafael

Foster​

Subs:
Kuszczak
Fabio
Naville
Giggs
Gibson
Nani
Manucho

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
is tosic clear to play ? good game to get him blooded if he is .

foster rafael vidic evans oshea nani fletcher scholes park rooney giggs for me

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
piazza said:
Southampton are 23rd in the Championship, I'm thinking they might phone it in to be honest, the last things they need are cup games draining their paper-thin squad.
Don't you believe it, this is their Wembley ............

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
It's nearly 33 years since Southampton pulled off one of the biggest shocks in FA Cup history, by beating Manchester United 1-0 in the 1976 final. Bobby Stokes' angled shot defeated Alex Stepney and handed the likes of **** Channon and Peter Osgood a winners' medal in Lawrie McMememy's most memorable achievement in management.

Manchester United are bidding to win the FA Cup for a record 12th time. United have not been knocked out at the third round stage since 1984, and are aiming to reach the fourth round for a record 24th consecutive occasion (ignoring 1999-2000, when they did not enter). Ipswich managed such a feat 16 times between 1971 and 1986 and hold the second best such streak.

Bournemouth were the last lower division club to knock out the Red Devils. The Cherries were a Third Division (third level) club when they won 2-0 at Dean Court in the Third Round on 7 January 1984.

The League ladder

Southampton are 40 places lower than Manchester United in the league standings.

Referee
Mike Riley (West Yorkshire)

Replay date
Wednesday, 14 January 2009, 2000 hours

Southampton Current form

No win in eight; drawn four and lost four Championship games since a 1-2 win at Reading on 22 November - their only victory in 11. Not won in eight at home since a 2-0 victory over Norwich on 30 September.

Recent FA Cup performance
Not fallen at the third round hurdle since 2003-04.

The Manager
Jan Poortvliet is Southampton's sixth permanent manager in four years. This is the 53 year old Dutchman's first taste of FA Cup football. Of 29 games in charge, seven have been won, eight drawn and 14 lost.

FA Cup fact
League One Bristol Rovers ended Saints' interest in the competition last season in the fifth round. The 2003 losing finalists, made the last eight four years ago, the last 16 three years ago and the last 32 two years ago. bbc sports news

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Red Devil said:
Southampton are 40 places lower than Manchester United in the league standings.
Chelsea 1 - 1 Southend U. / I am not sure about the exact difference but it should be more than 40 :) /

We should not underestimate them , especially after so many 1-0 games

My prediction is 3-0

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
zoran_zlatanov said:
Chelsea 1 - 1 Southend U. / I am not sure about the exact difference but it should be more than 40 :) /

We should not underestimate them , especially after so many 1-0 games

My prediction is 3-0
No pressure on them and it will be welcomed break to the terrible league campaign. Also people need to remember Burton Albion as a classic example of underestimating teams.

Gone are the games where you turn up, put in 50% and come away 4-0 to the good. Teams dont lie down and some of these players will want to put themselves in the shop window by putting a good performance in.

I am going to say 2-0 to United

21 - 40 of 268 Posts