Manchester United Talk banner

Man Of The Match vs Saints

41 - 60 of 268 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Red Devil said:
It's nearly 33 years since Southampton pulled off one of the biggest shocks in FA Cup history, by beating Manchester United 1-0 in the 1976 final. Bobby Stokes' angled shot defeated Alex Stepney and handed the likes of **** Channon and Peter Osgood a winners' medal in Lawrie McMememy's most memorable achievement in management.

Manchester United are bidding to win the FA Cup for a record 12th time. United have not been knocked out at the third round stage since 1984, and are aiming to reach the fourth round for a record 24th consecutive occasion (ignoring 1999-2000, when they did not enter). Ipswich managed such a feat 16 times between 1971 and 1986 and hold the second best such streak.

Bournemouth were the last lower division club to knock out the Red Devils. The Cherries were a Third Division (third level) club when they won 2-0 at Dean Court in the Third Round on 7 January 1984.

The League ladder

Southampton are 40 places lower than Manchester United in the league standings.

Referee
Mike Riley (West Yorkshire)

Replay date
Wednesday, 14 January 2009, 2000 hours

Southampton Current form

No win in eight; drawn four and lost four Championship games since a 1-2 win at Reading on 22 November - their only victory in 11. Not won in eight at home since a 2-0 victory over Norwich on 30 September.

Recent FA Cup performance
Not fallen at the third round hurdle since 2003-04.

The Manager
Jan Poortvliet is Southampton's sixth permanent manager in four years. This is the 53 year old Dutchman's first taste of FA Cup football. Of 29 games in charge, seven have been won, eight drawn and 14 lost.

FA Cup fact
League One Bristol Rovers ended Saints' interest in the competition last season in the fifth round. The 2003 losing finalists, made the last eight four years ago, the last 16 three years ago and the last 32 two years ago. bbc sports news
i still say that goal was offside !!!!! and stepney dived in instalments

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Fergie: I will not be making changes for this game although its tempting. (MUTV). So saying, he had made 5 changes!!

Official Lineup (5 changes)

VdS
Neville
Evans
Vidic
OShea

Nani
Carrick
Anderson
Giggs

Berbatov
Welbeck

Ronaldo & Scholes did not travel to Southampton

Southampton playing loads of kids!!

Bench:

Kuszczak
Rooney
Park
Rafael
Gibson
Fletcher
Possebon

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'd stick with what I said 3-0 I think that team is easily stronmg enough to see Southampton off especially if they aren't full strength. Hopefully Berba can get a couple today :)

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Nemanjaaa said:
I'd stick with what I said 3-0 I think that team is easily stronmg enough to see Southampton off especially if they aren't full strength. Hopefully Berba can get a couple today :)
Its not that Southampton are not at full strength, they are - its all they have got!!!

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Great to see welbeck in the starting line-up. Hope he scores and this game will finish with a different result with more than one goal scored by us

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
chiboygeorge said:
Anderson might actually score today :p
Let's be realisitc ;)

He'll have a few assists hopefully.

Great to see Welbeck playing. About time we saw more of the youngsters. Justintv is up and running perfectly btw. :)

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Kick off ........................................................

Thats nice, the Saints manager says Fergie is his "hero" ..... :p

Saints RB is a United fan ;)

Saints will go into administration unless this present squad keep them up :cool:

Saints not so saintly, giving away string of fouls :mad:

5 mins gone, not a single attack yet

41 - 60 of 268 Posts