Manchester United Talk banner

SPL Thread 08/09 - Rangers Champions

14K views 244 replies 36 participants last post by  Jay007 
TheManc said:
Anyone but Rangers please.

I'd like to see Aberdeen do well though, mainly because its the anniversary of there European Cup win which obviously Fergie managed.

I think Rangers will win unfortunately. last season they had too many fixtures which cost them but now they're out of Europe they can focus on the league.
Rangers won't get anywhere near winning the league. And Aberdeen are poor.

Rangers have no creativity, no leadership and no flair, plus their gameplan is defensive (although they played 4-4-2 against Falkirk.) They have now sold their best defender to Aston Villa, who they will only keep if he fails his medical. The squad's morale is down and the supporters are unhappy and on the back of the chairman and manager, and rightly so.

Aberdeen have a decent team, but their squad isn't the best and Jimmy Calderwood is absolute crap. He shouldn't have received a new contract imo.

Celtic will win the league at a canter. They may have played poorly against St Mirren, but once they pick up they'll be dominant. They have a good and the best squad, are the most attacking, with a strong defence when playing in the SPL, a fine mixture of a midfield and can score goals for fun when they hit top form.

Before the season, I went for Dundee Utd to finish second, but unless they improve drastically they won't. One result doesn't determine their season, but their performance was awful so if they don't pick up, ther chances of finishing second will go down.

For the drop, I think that Hamilton may escape, with their good, young, hungry squad. I think it'll be St Mirren who go down into Division One.

16-Keano-16 said:
Just to mention Hamilton play a superb style of football. Great passing and very rarely a long ball. They arevery pleasing on the eye. Usually teams that come up just hoof it
Of course. Something I forgot to mention in my praise of Hamilton.

Jazz 16 said:
Yeah, its Hamilton. fantastic prospect. Will be in the Irish squad before too long.
James McCarthy is actually a Scotsman thats chosen to play for Ireland I believe because his grandfather comes from Ireland :( :rolleyes:

No doubt a fantastic prospect. Hes been on trial with Liverpool, and was rumoured to be interesting 2 Italian clubs, was it Sampdoria and Reggina? Can't really remember.

Its a pity hes decided to play for Ireland instead of Scotland. But good luck to him all the same.

SolskjaertheLegend said:
I was at the game, it was decent. Hopefully Aberdeen can push on from here as they're definatly not performing as well as they can.
I watched it on Setanta and thought the game wasn't great actually. It took 65 mins for the first corner of the game :eek:

I thought Rangers should have probably won, and they did get that goal wrongly disallowed at the end.

But who cares? :p

Ritesh MU said:
004 becoming 007

Ryan beware lol hehehe
:rolleyes:

Anyway, as long as Celtic play Hartley and Robson in the centre of midfield, I think they'll win. I'm going for 2-0 Celtic if they are played in the centre.

I think they'll outclass Rangers in all honesty. Rangers only have about 2 good players.

lol.

^^^^ Mulgrews biggest fan. ;)

Anyway, back to the point. (Nice and colourful just now but I'll probably end up getting fed up of doing it like that ;) :p)

RESULTS FOR SATURDAY 27 SEPTEMBER;

Celtic 3-2 Aberdeen
Vennegoor of Hesselink 14 --- Mulgrew 57, 65
McDonald 78
Vennegoor of Hesselink 90+1

Dundee Utd 3-0 Hearts
Conway 39
Daly 50
Robertson 61

Falkirk 4-1 Hamilton
Lovell 44 - Olejnik o.g. 90+1
Arfield 69
O'Brien 72
Arfield (pen) 87

Inverness CT 3-1 Kilmarnock
McGuire 21 --------- Sammon 4
Barrowman (pen) 43
Black 81

Motherwell 2-1 St Mirren
Sutton 48 - Mehmet 30
Malcolm 62

RESULTS FOR SUNDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER;

Hibernian 0-3 Rangers
Miller 31, 40
Bougherra 73

TABLE;

PLAYED GOAL, DIFFERENCE, POINTS

1 Rangers 7 10 19
2 Celtic 7 7 16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Hearts 7 -2 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Inverness CT 7 2 10
5 Kilmarnock 7 -1 10
6 Hibernian 7 -2 10
7 Hamilton 7 -2 9
8 Dundee Utd 7 -1 8
9 Falkirk 7 -2 7
10 Motherwell 7 -3 7
11 Aberdeen 7 -3 7

12 St Mirren 7 -3 5

SPL RESULTS FOR SATURDAY 4TH OCTOBER;

Aberdeen 1-2 Hibernian

Celtic 4-0 Hamilton

Dundee Utd 2-1 Inverness CT

Hearts 1-2 Kilmarnock

(Will post league table once all fixtures are completed)

RESULTS FOR SUNDAY 5TH OCTOBER;

Motherwell 3-2 Falkirk

St Mirren 1-0 Rangers

TABLE;

GD PTS
1 Celtic 11 19
2 Rangers 9 19

3 Kilmarnock 0 13

4 Hibernian -1 13
5 Hearts -3 12
6 Dundee Utd 0 11
7 Inverness CT 1 10
8 Motherwell -2 10
9 Hamilton -6 9
10 St Mirren -2 8
11 Falkirk -3 7

12 Aberdeen -4 7

A truly sad day for Dundee Utd, and Scottish football in the whole;

==========================================================
United mourn chairman
Eddie Thompson loses battle against cancer

Dundee United have confirmed that chairman Eddie Thompson has died after a long battle against cancer.

Thompson, 67, lost his fight against prostate cancer in the early hours of Wednesday.

Despite his debilitating illness over the past few years, he continued with his duties at Tannadice as long as he could and also insisted on supporting his team in person as much as possible, both home and away.

A club statement read: "It is with great sadness that Dundee United announce the death of chairman Eddie Thompson, who died today after a long illness borne with great fortitude, much bravery and a dogged determination to carry out his responsibilities at Tannadice for as long as possible."

SPL confirm Thompson tribute
United-Rangers game postponed

Dundee United's SPL match against Rangers at the weekend has been postponed as a mark of respect following the death of Tannadice chairman Eddie Thompson.

Thompson died on Wednesday after a long battle with cancer and the SPL have now confirmed that the weeekend's clash will not go ahead as planned.

SPL executive chairman Lex Gold described the death of Thompson as "a great loss to our game" and he confirmed that Saturday's match at Ibrox would be rescheduled for a later date.

"At this time our thoughts are with those close to Eddie. We send our condolences to his wife Cath, children Stephen and Justine, their families and all at Dundee United," he said.

"Eddie's incredible enthusiasm for Dundee United, the SPL and football in general made him an inspiration to many. He is a great loss to our game.

"On a personal level, I am pleased to have been able to work with Eddie and I will miss his support, encouragement and insight."

The SPL also confirmed there would be one minute of applause for Thompson before all other top-flight games in Scotland this weekend.

Levein praise

Dundee United manager Craig Levein paid tribute to his boss and close friend.

"We have lost someone I'd call a decent guy and as close as we've become, he is someone I wish I could have known a lot longer," he told the club's website.

"As a chairman he could not have backed me any more than he did, but it is as a good man that I think of him.

"Over the next few days a lot will be said about him and what he achieved, but I really will remember him as a decent guy.

"We knew how ill the chairman was and we have been expecting this. That means in some ways you can steel yourself for it, but when it happens it is still terrible news.

"We are all very upset and right now there is not much I can say."

RESULTS FOR SATURDAY 18TH OCTOBER;

Falkirk 0-1 Aberdeen

Hamilton 1-2 St Mirren

Inverness CT 1-2 Celtic

Kilmarnock 1-0 Motherwell

RESULTS FOR SUNDAY 19TH OCTOBER;

Hibernian 1-1 Hearts

TABLE

PLAYED PTS
1 Celtic 9 22
2 Rangers 8 19
3 Kilmarnock 9 16
4 Hibernian 9 14
5 Hearts 9 13
6 Dundee Utd 8 11
7 St Mirren 9 11
8 Inverness CT 9 10
9 Motherwell 9 10
10 Aberdeen 9 10
11 Hamilton 9 9
12 Falkirk 9 7

Fallen ahead this week, but here it is; ;)

Results for Saturday, 25 October 2008

Celtic4-2 Hibernian

Dundee Utd 2-0 St Mirren

Hamilton 1-3 Rangers

Hearts 1-1 Aberdeen

Inverness CT 1-2 Motherwell

Kilmarnock 1-2 Falkirk

TABLE;

P PTS

1 Celtic 10 25
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Rangers 9 22
3 Kilmarnock 10 16
4 Dundee Utd 9 14
5 Hearts 10 14
6 Hibernian 10 14
7 Motherwell 10 13
8 Aberdeen 10 11
9 St Mirren 10 11
10 Inverness CT 10 10
11 Falkirk 10 10
12 Hamilton 10 9

Weekend Results

RESULTS FOR NOVEMBER 1ST;

Aberdeen 1-0 Kilmarnock

Falkirk 0-0 Dundee Utd

Motherwell 2-0 Hamilton

Rangers 5-0 Inverness CT

St Mirren 0-0 Hibernian

RESULTS FOR NOVEMBER 2ND;

Hearts 0-2 Celtic

LEAGUE TABLE

P PTS
1 Celtic 11 28
2 Rangers 10 25
3 Motherwell 11 16
4 Kilmarnock 11 16
5 Dundee Utd 10 15
6 Hibernian 11 15
7 Aberdeen 11 14
8 Hearts 11 14
9 St Mirren 11 12
10 Falkirk 11 11
11 Inverness CT 11 10
12 Hamilton 11 9

(Rangers Vs Dundee Utd in midweek)

God I'm behind.

Two rounds and the completion of another round of fixtures to cover.

RESULTS FOR TUESDAY 4TH NOVEMBER;

Rangers 3-3 Dundee Utd

RESULTS FOR 8TH NOVEMBER;

Celtic 2-0 Motherwell

Dundee Utd 2-1 Aberdeen

Hamilton 1-1 Falkirk

Hibernian 1-2 Inverness CT

St Mirren 0-1 Hearts

9TH NOVEMBER;

Kilmarnock 0-4 Rangers

11TH NOVEMBER;

Aberdeen 2-0 St Mirren

12TH NOVEMBER;

Celtic 3-0 Kilmarnock

Dundee Utd 2-0 Hibernian

Hearts 1-0 Hamilton

Inverness CT 1-1 Falkirk

Motherwell 0-0 Rangers

TABLE;

P PTS
1 Celtic 13 34
2 Rangers 13 30
3 Dundee Utd 13 22
4 Hearts 13 20
5 Aberdeen 13 17
6 Motherwell 13 17
7 Kilmarnock 13 16
8 Hibernian 13 15
9 Inverness CT 13 14
10 Falkirk 13 13
11 St Mirren 13 12
12 Hamilton 13 10

So Celtic, despite all their injury worries, racing clear of Rangers. The fight at the bottom also looks interesting.

RESULTS FOR 15TH NOVEMBER;

Falkirk 1-0 Motherwell

Hibernian 2-2 Aberdeen

Inverness CT 0-1 Hearts

Kilmarnock 2-0 Dundee Utd

Rangers 2-1 St Mirren

16TH NOVEMBER;

Hamilton 1-2 Celtic

SPL TABLE

1 Celtic 14 37
2 Rangers 14 33
3 Hearts 14 23
4 Dundee Utd 14 22
5 Kilmarnock 14 19
6 Aberdeen 14 18
7 Motherwell 14 17
8 Falkirk 14 16
9 Hibernian 14 16
10 Inverness CT 14 14
11 St Mirren 14 12
12 Hamilton 14 10

Jazz 16 said:
Good stuff Celtic. Last minute winner as well by Hartley.
Celtics record since they were beaten by Rangers at Celtic Park? 10 wins out of 10. 30 points without dropping a single one.

They've playing great, and even today when they didn't play that well they dug in and got the points (Celtic also went behind.) And considering they also currently have a lot of injuries, they have done great this season so far.

Before the season and especially now, I'm saying Celtic for the League :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.