Manchester United Talk banner

SPL Thread 08/09 - Rangers Champions

14K views 244 replies 36 participants last post by  Jay007 
#1 ·

I know there are few Celtic fans here so hows about a Celtic/SPL thread?

Season off to a good start with a 1-0 win for the Hoops.
Barry Robson penalty vs St.Mirren.

Celtic: Boruc, Hinkel, Caldwell, McManus, Naylor (Wilson 74), Robson (Caddis 81),
Scott Brown, Hartley, McGeady, Vennegoor of Hesselink, McDonald (Samaras 75).

Subs Not Used: Mark Brown, Donati, O'Dea, McGowan.

Booked: Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Goals: Robson 62 pen.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7548992.stm

League Table:

------------------Pl...Pts
1 Inverness CT 1 - 3
2 Hearts 1 - 3
---------------------
3 Celtic 1 - 3
---------------------
4 Kilmarnock 1 - 3
5 Rangers 1 - 3
6 Dundee Utd 0 - 0
7 Hamilton 0 - 0
8 Motherwell 1 - 0
9 Falkirk 1 - 0
10 Hibernian 1 - 0
11 St Mirren 1 - 0
---------------------
12 Aberdeen 1 - 0

Inverness Cali top of the table and Solsk's Aberdeen in last :D
Celtic and Rangers both win.
CMON CELTIC!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone but Rangers please.

I'd like to see Aberdeen do well though, mainly because its the anniversary of there European Cup win which obviously Fergie managed.

I think Rangers will win unfortunately. last season they had too many fixtures which cost them but now they're out of Europe they can focus on the league.

G
#3 ·
Jazz 16 said:
------------------Pl...Pts
1 Inverness CT 1 - 3
2 Hearts 1 - 3
---------------------
3 Celtic 1 - 3
---------------------
4 Kilmarnock 1 - 3
5 Rangers 1 - 3
6 Dundee Utd 0 - 0
7 Hamilton 0 - 0
8 Motherwell 1 - 0
9 Falkirk 1 - 0
10 Hibernian 1 - 0
11 St Mirren 1 - 0
---------------------
12 Aberdeen 2 - 0
How on earth has Aberdeen managed to play two
games in one day ? :eek: Think you've got the goals mixed
up with the games. :D

Not really into the SPL but anyone except Rangers for me.

#4 ·
TheManc said:

I'd like to see Aberdeen do well though, mainly because its the anniversary of there European Cup win which obviously Fergie managed.

I think Rangers will win unfortunately. last season they had too many fixtures which cost them but now they're out of Europe they can focus on the league.
There supposed to sell a bunch of players to make up for the money they won't get because they missed out on Europe.

#7 ·
Celtic for me. Got to keep my man happy.... and wee Gordon Strachen in his Utd days was the biggest poster gracing my bedroom wall when I was growing up. Although I get the feeling that this could well be his last season in charge.....think he may be getting ready to walk away.

#16 ·
TheManc said:

Rangers won't get anywhere near winning the league. And Aberdeen are poor.

Rangers have no creativity, no leadership and no flair, plus their gameplan is defensive (although they played 4-4-2 against Falkirk.) They have now sold their best defender to Aston Villa, who they will only keep if he fails his medical. The squad's morale is down and the supporters are unhappy and on the back of the chairman and manager, and rightly so.

Aberdeen have a decent team, but their squad isn't the best and Jimmy Calderwood is absolute crap. He shouldn't have received a new contract imo.

Celtic will win the league at a canter. They may have played poorly against St Mirren, but once they pick up they'll be dominant. They have a good and the best squad, are the most attacking, with a strong defence when playing in the SPL, a fine mixture of a midfield and can score goals for fun when they hit top form.

Before the season, I went for Dundee Utd to finish second, but unless they improve drastically they won't. One result doesn't determine their season, but their performance was awful so if they don't pick up, ther chances of finishing second will go down.

For the drop, I think that Hamilton may escape, with their good, young, hungry squad. I think it'll be St Mirren who go down into Division One.

#20 ·
Newly promoted Hamilton Academical won their opening game of their SPL campaign. They declared through their football that they aren't simply going to make up the numbers in the top flight.

Visitors Dundee United were hoping to rain on Hamilton's parade, with Accies returning to the highest tier after a 19-year exile.

Accies started well and after a flurry of goalmouth action Mark McLaughlin came close when his header was deflected just over.

Soon afterwards, though, McLaughlin was the villain at the other end when he headed Willo Flood's cross into his own net.

However, six minutes later New Douglas Park was rocking when Tony Stevenson's free kick found its way through a shambolic United wall.

Before half-time, Accies were in dreamland when the busy McLaughlin headed across the penalty area and James McArthur forced the ball into the net. On further viewings, though, it became clear that McArthur had used an arm.

After an hour, Accies had clear daylight. The hosts kept knocking at the Terrors' door and David Graham finally smacked the ball into the net to give his side a two-goal cushion.

United did assault the Accies goal inside the last 15 minutes as they sought to rescue something from a dire outing.

Hamilton goalkeeper Tomas Cerny, though, made a series of fine saves late on – one from a towering Lee Wilkie header and another from sub Francisco Sandaza.

Morgano Gomis and Warren Feeney also tried their luck, but were no match for the inspired 'keeper and Accies were able to claim a famous victory.

Stunned Arabs' boss Craig Levein told BBC Scotland after the game: “It was a reality check, we just didn't play.

“I couldn't believe what I was seeing - we got what we deserved.”

#21 ·
16-Keano-16 said:
It was 3-1. And Cuellar is a great signing for Villa. IMO the best Rangers player. Fee is 7.9million approx
a lot of money... i thought O'Neill had finally given up on trying to make SPL players into Premiership players, it just hasnt worked for nearly any of them, the gap is huge! Ferguson, Miller, Maloney, Petrov.. all quality in the SPL, v mediocre in the Prem, lets not forget Stokes, and Boumsong... I wouldn spend much on SPL talent!!

#23 ·
sry bit late on this one....

Dundee United 1-1 Celtic
Hartley with the goal.

Match report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7561742.stm

Celtic: Boruc, Hinkel, McManus, Caldwell, Wilson, Nakamura (Robson 68), Hartley,
Scott Brown, McGeady, McDonald (Samaras 88), Vennegoor of Hesselink.
Subs Not Used: Mark Brown, Crosas, Donati, O'Dea, Caddis.

Booked: McGeady.

Goals: Hartley 51.

Att: 11,648

Ref: C Richmond

Celtic currently 3rd in the table behind Hamilton and Rangers.

In other news: Celtic and Gravesen part company :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7568187.stm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.