Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
As a loyal supporter i am to united i can honestly say that if utd increased it's capacity to 100,000 it would be full, Plans way back where to increase it too 100,000 but this got prevented due to lack of funds, Here is something from youtube regarding this

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
If it is at all possible to expand the stadium to 100,000 ...

I'm sure David Gill and his team will be prepared and ready to do it !!

From a commercial stand point there is not much Mr Gill misses ...

Love him or hate him he is extremely good at what he is paid for ... ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
from what i know, they do have plans to expland the south stand, these plans were in place before the glazers took over, the problem is that they have to build over the railway behind the south stand and buy the houses that occupy the land there, easier said than done, i think they will do the corners of the south stand first, but as far as a complete rebuild there im not so sure now

·
New signing
224 Posts
amuchan said:
from what i know, they do have plans to expland the south stand, these plans were in place before the glazers took over, the problem is that they have to build over the railway behind the south stand and buy the houses that occupy the land there, easier said than done, i think they will do the corners of the south stand first, but as far as a complete rebuild there im not so sure now
United already own the houses behind the railway.

It's the actual railway which is causing the problem. The can't build over it or anything. That's the reason the South Stand is small.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
If we lowerd the prices of tickets then we could definately fill it. Maybe we could have the extended part being really cheap, that way all of the hardcore fans who will shout a lot more will help to create a better atmosphere.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Sir Matt Busby said:
We won't fill 100,000 for all games. Only the big games :(
I would like to challenge that statement. Only games we would struggle with are the midweek evening ko games like bolton last season.

I would love to see a return of paying on door to get in again like it was in the 70's/80's for a small section of the stadium.

Weekend games would be 100,000 all the time

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was always under the impression that United couldn't expand the South Stand at least for the forseeable future because of the railway line and the houses behind that, and the price it would cost to go around these issues.

I think for quite a lot of games United would fill the ground, but for midweek games and Carling Cup etc. I don't think there is much chancde. OT would look fantastic at 100 000 and I hope one day we get there

http://www.manutdzone.com/oldtrafford/oldtrafford.htm
"A total of £114 million has been spent by the club in the last 14 years on stadium redevelopment but the total cost for a new South Stand would almost equal that sum again with estimates in the region of £90-100 million. However, the long-term goal for the club must remain to rebuild the South stand in a similar style to the North and with filled SW/SE corners would make a whopping 96,000 all seater capacity - larger than the new 90,000 Wembley."

·
Registered
4 Posts
old trafford 90.000

i have made a model of old trafford 90.000 and giving it to sir alex this season for his services to man utd.
i believe utd are the biggest football club in world football but do not boast the biggest staduim. why?
its makes sense that the biggest have the biggest but all of sir alex's work and fan support at old trafford does not mean a thing to the board as they have there seats secure every week to watch the match , its the 1000s of other fans that cannot see the game that does not bother to get a look in to the biggest club in the world. come on reds 90.000 plus is a must if i can see surley you can.....
if you would like to see my model please go on you tube and type in.. paul singer matchstick model ..... see what you guys think ... cheers paul.s

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
We could fill it, and it would be incredible to have OT as a 95,000+ stadium, but its unrealistic for the moment.

Lets hope it happens soon, but I don't think it will happen for a long while.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We would fill it

However

I was was at the stadium the day after we won the CL and some1 asked on the tour were there plans to expand the south stands capacity, the guy said that the train track are a problem but we could build it over the tracks which would be cool... although possible it would be very costly and it is estimated it would take 30-40 years (assuming it fills each game!) to be a viable investment... therefore unlikely!!

21 - 40 of 96 Posts