Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
eoininho said:
although possible it would be very costly and it is estimated it would take 30-40 years (assuming it fills each game!) to be a viable investment... therefore unlikely!!
Exactly. Thats the problem.

No doubt it would be a great investment, in terms of us having the biggest and best (although it is currently the best anyway, imo) stadium in England, and that more fans would be able to see Utd in action.

However as a financial investment, as you said, 30-40 years to be viable?

I think that line (^) is the reason it hasn't and probably won't be happening for a long, long time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If any work is to be done, I could see it being on the South East Quadrant. I just hope though if it is to be expanded, the new area isn't dominated with executives. It would be great to get more fans through the gates, but with the cost of building the extension probably being high, I think the club would be tempted to get their money back as soon as they can by making the new area executive.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
manutd004 said:
Exactly. Thats the problem.

No doubt it would be a great investment, in terms of us having the biggest and best (although it is currently the best anyway, imo) stadium in England, and that more fans would be able to see Utd in action.

However as a financial investment, as you said, 30-40 years to be viable?

I think that line (^) is the reason it hasn't and probably won't be happening for a long, long time.
Another issue is the amount of sunlight OT's grass gets, apparently since the quadrants went in there has been a lot less sunlight for the grass to grow.. hence the sttate of the pitch last season!!

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
eoininho said:
Another issue is the amount of sunlight OT's grass gets, apparently since the quadrants went in there has been a lot less sunlight for the grass to grow.. hence the sttate of the pitch last season!!
thats true. towards the end of the season (and even in the middle) our pitch is terrible which doesn't suit our style.

Look at arsenal's, its like a carpet all year round no matter how many games are played on there. I realise we can't make it that good but surely we can have something to help it?

Also after going to OT a load of times and having gone to the Emirates about 4 times (2 manutd matches, 1 brazil match, 1 tour when i went to london) the grass seems a lot shorter than the pitch at OT.

If we to increase the stadium, i hop we can maybe 'round it off' so that way it keeps the atmosphere in.

If you've seen the way the new liverpool stadium is gonna look then you'll see its built for an amazing atmosphere - we need to do something similar.

Also liverpool are gonna build some microphone type thing in the walls, we should do that as our atmosphere is crap compared to how 76,000 people should make it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As others have said, 100k may be a bit too much but I would not remotely be angry if we did expand to that size

Though I think we would come damn near close to filling it, I think only the big games would see actual sellouts

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
For those of you "moaning"about stadium expansion. It is not as easy as piling up a few more bricks. Here in the UK we have a thing called "planning permission" which councils have to grant (United's council is NOT pro United). We also have a law called the "sunlight" law whereby people cannot block out others access to sunlight via windows, so the stadium can only be "so high".

Along the eastern side of the ground is a 5 or 6 line railway; to expand OVER this means building a massively strong tunnel which will not only support the superstructure but also take the vibration of trains going through all day and night. Also, there are residences opposite.

Behind the Stretford End was not United property until a few years back but they purchased several factories and levelled the ground, creating the players car park and the car parks for the season ticket holders. Theoretically this could be extended, but not by all that much. More seats means more cars.

The west side has a road which could be covered by then there is the canal, same situation as for the eastern side.

Sir Matt Busby Way. What do you do, knock down all the offices and the front, move the statues and build to the edge of the road, the cost outweighs the added seats.

You cannot go UP. Its hardly worth the price of the seats for the uppermost tiers now!!! If you go any higher, you will need a telescope to watch the game.

The only answer is a move.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Red Devil said:
For those of you "moaning"about stadium expansion. It is not as easy as piling up a few more bricks. Here in the UK we have a thing called "planning permission" which councils have to grant (United's council is NOT pro United). We also have a law called the "sunlight" law whereby people cannot block out others access to sunlight via windows, so the stadium can only be "so high".

Along the eastern side of the ground is a 5 or 6 line railway; to expand OVER this means building a massively strong tunnel which will not only support the superstructure but also take the vibration of trains going through all day and night. Also, there are residences opposite.

Behind the Stretford End was not United property until a few years back but they purchased several factories and levelled the ground, creating the players car park and the car parks for the season ticket holders. Theoretically this could be extended, but not by all that much. More seats means more cars.

The west side has a road which could be covered by then there is the canal, same situation as for the eastern side.

Sir Matt Busby Way. What do you do, knock down all the offices and the front, move the statues and build to the edge of the road, the cost outweighs the added seats.

You cannot go UP. Its hardly worth the price of the seats for the uppermost tiers now!!! If you go any higher, you will need a telescope to watch the game.

Thats interesting actually.

I didn't know all that, and I've sadly never been to OT so far.

But if we do have to move to get a bigger stadium, I would say no. Old Trafford is our home, and the only place we should play.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
Zense_United said:
i just awnt them to expand more the the (deleted)madrid

congrats from RD, you just got yourself a 2nd warning.
haha realmadrid stadium is nothing to oldtrafford
realmadrid stadium capacity is 80,000 while old trafford is 76,000
and we always get our stadium full not like the *** spanish *** who dont even get their stadium full in the biggest matches

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
antdevil78 said:
I would like to challenge that statement. Only games we would struggle with are the midweek evening ko games like bolton last season.

I would love to see a return of paying on door to get in again like it was in the 70's/80's for a small section of the stadium.

Weekend games would be 100,000 all the time
Weekend 3pm YES
Weekend 5.15pm NO
Weekend 12.15pm NO
Sunday Live on Sky 4pm NO

I cant find the info that made me say this but i have seen somewhere that there are 160,000 members of One United. I would hazard a guess that 20-30,000 of those are abroad and will get to their one united game a year.

From the 120,000 left some of those will automatically be Season Ticket holders so from the rest you are expecting 80% to apply for a ticket. 4 out of every 5.

I think the reason it aint been expanded to 100k is cos its close to the threshold for us having empty seats and even tickets on general sale for league games which then defeats object of having the membership scheme.

Is anyone on forum who works in ticket office who could give a exact figure for ticket applicants.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
We'll sell out for a midweek game against Liverpool.

We could of with Barca last season as well.

It's just the games people can be bothered with. If you want to get there then you will.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Red Devil said:

Moving should be out of the question. This is Old Trafford we're talking about.

Instead of starting the construction of a whole new stadium, United should purchase the necessary land bit by bit every year until we can expand Old Trafford. As far as I know, only the houses behind the South Stand are the problem. United should buy them all up and build over the railway. Once the capacity is over 100'000 no more expansions will ever have to be done.

Put the next decade into context. United was formed in 1878. 130 years ago. Since moving to Old Trafford in 1909 United has remained there. What's 10 years or so just waiting for the last expansion?

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I don't think we should expand tbh. I mean, yes it would make the sdadium look better, but it will mean that ticket prices will increase, which will force the proper fans (or whats left of them) to not go and instead we will get more day trippers who really do not help creat an atmpsphere at all.

we need to adress the atmosphere problems (due to quiet fans) before we just increase the stadum which will raise prices.

·
Registered
550 Posts
TheManc said:
I don't think we should expand tbh. I mean, yes it would make the sdadium look better, but it will mean that ticket prices will increase, which will force the proper fans (or whats left of them) to not go and instead we will get more day trippers who really do not help creat an atmpsphere at all.

we need to adress the atmosphere problems (due to quiet fans) before we just increase the stadum which will raise prices.
Yes, but with a larger stadium provision can be made for standing terraces that have cheaper tickets.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
i have experienced numerous people who I have been sat at side of for games where I get funny looks for singing. The main problems are

People who go as a family and dont approve of the chants that involve swearing (using buckets and manchester being full of bosoms and lady regions)

Old pensioners who take along a cushion cos their seats are uncomfy

Fans who dont anything else but Viva Ronaldo, That Boy Ronaldo and Stand Up for the Champions

·
Registered
4 Posts
manchester united football club is the biggest football club in the world.. barca, madrid, ac & inter milan, juve, all have bigger grounds than us, not all games they play sell out every week so why are utd afraid of emety seats????
we are the mecca in world football utd have all these members and rightly so we sell out all games, but if any games utd play dont sell out let away fans have a bigger portion of the tickets. every away game we play they all sell out to come see utd. just the the first look at ot with 100.000 seats in would blow you away, it would be fantastic to every football fan world wide to expereince the stadium to watch there team play utd in it. i really dont believe in all this building over the railway is a prob its all possible trust me. david gill please note your supporters all know the south stand looks crap to the rest of the stadium and that is not utd we deserve better .....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Expanding Old Trafford to 90,000 seats

Man Utd to expand Old Trafford to 90,000

Manchester United are ready to expand Old Trafford to almost 90,000.
United's chief executive David Gill revealed the long term plan is to eventually make Old Trafford even bigger than the 80,000-plus Sir Alex Ferguson is pushing for.

He said: "We turn away a large number of fans every game and if we put the capacity up I'm sure it would be well received."

Gill has also revealed the club are planning to erect a statue of Ferguson at Old Trafford to salute his achievements at the club.

tribalfooball.com - July 27, 2008

i think it will be a great idea, we can fit more fans in there and profit more than we are right now. We can also get the record attendance from the premier league. Not to let arsenal, liverpool, and everton do more than us! It will be more than Real Madrid stadium too. Oh, let it be true. =]

G

·
lol, Yes mate, we've been talking about it for the last 7 months now.:eek:
That's why i merged your thread into all the other talk about it.
;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Zense_United said:
Man Utd to expand Old Trafford to 90,000

Manchester United are ready to expand Old Trafford to almost 90,000.
United's chief executive David Gill revealed the long term plan is to eventually make Old Trafford even bigger than the 80,000-plus Sir Alex Ferguson is pushing for.

He said: "We turn away a large number of fans every game and if we put the capacity up I'm sure it would be well received."

Gill has also revealed the club are planning to erect a statue of Ferguson at Old Trafford to salute his achievements at the club.

tribalfooball.com - July 27, 2008

i think it will be a great idea, we can fit more fans in there and profit more than we are right now. We can also get the record attendance from the premier league. Not to let arsenal, liverpool, and everton do more than us! It will be more than Real Madrid stadium too. Oh, let it be true. =]
:D :D :D

Think of how much noise we could make... Shake all of England :D

41 - 60 of 96 Posts