Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Signed.

Over 12500 signatures already. I'm impressed.

I remember recently reading in the news that an MP wanted to debate the bringing back of standing areas so you never know!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i fully agree that standing areas should be re-instated with fans safety in mind of course.
but what i hate is paying for a seat {i have got a dodgy back} then having to stand the whole game in pain because everyone is stood up in front of me and i can't see a bloody thing.
the idiots who stand in seated areas should be slung out of the ground but this never happens anywhere near me.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
selected standing ares are no more of a safety risk than seating nor do they require any additional stewarding, so the idea has always been sound after the knee -jerk reaction to build all seater stadia in the past. still can't see it happening though, the clubs needs to go for it aswell and they haven't shown much ambition themselves to bring back such areas. signed though.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I am beginning to feel like a tape recorder on "loop":

I stood on the Stretford End for years, on the Kop, Anfield Road End, North Bank, Kippax, Baseball Ground, Hillsborough, Bramhall Lane, Bloomfield Road, Prenton Park, Highfield Road, Southampton, Fratton Park - in fact all over, with no problems. The Stretford End was fenced in such a clever way that the crowd, although standing, could not move more than 6-8 feet in any direction and yet had complete freedom of movement. We had 3 whole coppers to police it, one each end, one in the middle - with zero problems. When the crowd surged forward on a goal, it looked big on tv but actually only a few feet were involved, the sway crossing the barrier in front, but stopping at the barrier.

We each had our own "spec", where nobody else was allowed. Everyone did, it was a piece of the SE that was ours. "Sorry mate (to a Hells Angel), thats so and so's space! He will be in in a moment!"

When I took my wife, on our wedding day, she had a space where someone had not turned up!!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
scottsati said:
selected standing ares are no more of a safety risk than seating nor do they require any additional stewarding, so the idea has always been sound after the knee -jerk reaction to build all seater stadia in the past. still can't see it happening though, the clubs needs to go for it aswell and they haven't shown much ambition themselves to bring back such areas. signed though.

the clubs won't go for it because they would rather charge us double for a seat .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts