Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stephen Kelly has defended Martin Taylor over the challenge which left Eduardo da Silva with a badly broken leg.

Arsenal's Croatia international striker suffered a double compound fracture of his left leg in the tackle by the Birmingham centre-back in the third minute of the Premier League clash at St Andrews.

Eduardo, who has already undergone surgery, has been ruled out of the remainder of the season and the Euro 2008 finals this summer.

Taylor was issued with an immediate red card by referee Mike Dean, but Blues team-mate Kelly feels the official was influenced by the horrific injury sustained by Eduardo.

Nice bloke

He said: "It was harsh Tiny (Taylor) being sent off. Tiny has gone in and it wasn't a malicious tackle and the reason the ref has sent him off is because he has seen Eduardo has broken his leg.

"I don't think you can send a player off for that. That's football. It can happen. It is an accident. Tiny didn't go in two-footed. He didn't lunge. He didn't dive in.

"Everyone knows what Tiny is like. He is such a nice bloke. He has not got a malicious bone in his body so it was very harsh for the ref to see the broken leg and then send him off because of that.

"It is a terrible thing to happen and you wouldn't want it to happen to anybody but I don't think that warrants a sending-off. People can do that with just falling over. Tiny has committed himself. He has gone in with one foot, slid along the ground."

Harsh

After the match, Arsene Wenger claimed Taylor should be banned from football for life, but he has since issued a retraction, saying his initial comments were made in the heat of the moment.

Kelly added: "I think Mr Wenger's comments after the game were so harsh. That is disgraceful talk from Arsene Wenger. It is terrible. You know the way Martin is. He slid along the ground.

"He has gone in with one foot. You see players going in week in and week out, diving in with two feet, and lunging and that sort of thing is a disgraceful challenge.

"It is a terrible thing for Wenger to say, especially about someone like Martin."

Is this guy an idiot or what ??! Had he not broken his foot the tackle was so bad and misplaced that most refs would have sent him off too ! And to say that an injury influenced the decision was idiotic too !!! Of course it influenced - he ripped off his foot ffs ! I know he sticks out for his friend and I don't think he should be banned for life - but there are other ways to show him support !

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I personally didn't think it was a malicious tackle it was a standard mistimed tackle which obviously resulted in a bad injury... But scholesy mistimed tackles at least once a game its a yellow card in most instances

I think the injury may have made what woulda been a yellow a red honestly

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Get out of it!

It was a straight red, no complaints. Thats it. He got his deserved punnishment
and he "was distraught" after the game. To come out and say, "I don't think you
can send a player off for that".....is wrong. The right action was taken and thats
that, and hopefully Eduardo will recover soon.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the injury is a consequence of a bad tackle...it shouldn't be seperated from the tackle...a straight red

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Keano! said:
Get out of it!

It was a straight red, no complaints. Thats it. He got his deserved punnishment
and he "was distraught" after the game. To come out and say, "I don't think you
can send a player off for that".....is wrong. The right action was taken and thats
that, and hopefully Eduardo will recover soon.
I've seen many similar tackles where the players who's been fouled walks away and the fouler gets a yellow. Joe cole on ronaldo this season is1that comes to mind

And of course i wish eduardo well

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Kelly was just protecting his team mate.
Thats what team mates do. Taylor wont be feeling great
with himself either. This could effect him for years.
I believe that Taylor never intended to hurt Eduardo.
Its not like he tried to smash him up.
Its just unfortunate that he did.
Croo-Since you are Croatian this obviously
will affect you more than most. Is it the main news back home?
Its a blow for your Euro hopes, which is sad.
I wish Eduardo a speedy recovery.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jazz 16 said:
Kelly was just protecting his team mate.
Thats what team mates do. Taylor wont be feeling great
with himself either. This could effect him for years.
I believe that Taylor never intended to hurt Eduardo.
Its not like he tried to smash him up.
Its just unfortunate that he did.
Croo-Since you are Croatian this obviously
will affect you more than most. Is it the main news back home?
Its a blow for your Euro hopes, which is sad.
I wish Eduardo a speedy recovery.
Yes - it's all over the news on here.. The pictures of his face in such a terrible pain are all over the headlines ! Everyone agrees that the butcher should be punished. but not like that idiot Wenger said - permanent ban.. he said that everyone keeps it rough on Arsenal and that this is a proof... And I agree to some extent. Your league is known for a more firm approach. the doctors said that the injury is not as bad as it seemed. They give him 5-8 months to recover.. Smith's injury was a lot worse - he broke it on 2 places. I expect him to play in December tbh... I'm just a bit bothered by some who would react a lot worse than myself if that'd happened to Ronaldo ! And of all the players - to Eduardo ! He's such a nice, modest lad ! His former teamate said that he is so stressed to answer any questions and that this was the sadest day of his life ! Eduardo is almost ireplacable in our team , but we have great strikers who can sort of replace him... Anyway I just wanted to say that everyone was saying that J.Cole should have gotten a straight red for a fould on Ronaldo - this had a horrible injury for a consequence and even SAF said that players must be protected - well at least a 1-2 year ban is one way of protecting it. Because - a punishment SENDS A MESSAGE !

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
But you cant just dish out 1/2 year bans?
The tackle Joe Cole made on Ronnie was awful because he TRIED to hurt him.
He was never getting the ball but just wanted to get the man. Same as Flamini and Gallas on Nani. Out to hurt the player.
Taylor imo didnt mean to hurt him. It was a horrible accident
and its terrible for Eduardo but it was just an accident.
Im not trying to justify it but the 3 game ban is punishment enough.
These things happen sometimes in football.
Its not pretty but its part of the game.
Whats for sure is that BOTH Eduardo and Taylor will
be inconsolable today. I feel sorry for both lads.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
well at least a 1-2 year ban is one way of protecting it. Because - a punishment SENDS A MESSAGE !
thats ridiculous, if a player feared he'd get a 2 year ban if he accidently hurt some1 in a slide tackle then we'd be watchin basketball!!!!!!!!!

its a contact sport for god sake, accidents happen and people get hurt!! taylor didnt go in to try break a leg he went to win the ball,

i kno ur croatian etc and have more of an interest in this than we would but thats a ridiculous suggestion! if eduardo had stood up after that challenge it would have been a standard yellow card for a mistimed tackle!! thats my honest opinion!

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jazz 16 said:
But you cant just dish out 1/2 year bans?
The tackle Joe Cole made on Ronnie was awful because he TRIED to hurt him.
He was never getting the ball but just wanted to get the man. Same as Flamini and Gallas on Nani. Out to hurt the player.
Taylor imo didnt mean to hurt him. It was a horrible accident
and its terrible for Eduardo but it was just an accident.
Im not trying to justify it but the 3 game ban is punishment enough.
These things happen sometimes in football.
Its not pretty but its part of the game.
Whats for sure is that BOTH Eduardo and Taylor will
be inconsolable today. I feel sorry for both lads.
after seeing the incident in full again - I must agree that was an accident. Such a ban would be too much. There was clearly no intention, but something should be done to protect the players. Especially from those butchers like Flamini , Keane ( yes, you've heard me, Alf Inge Halland anyone ) , J Cole etc. Intension should be punished with a 2 year ban imo. I know i will probably get slated for stating this but Keano was a mad man sometimes. That malicious tackle on Halland was just mean . He should have been banned for a long period. I mean, people that take doping get punished for 1 year out of football, and they hurt no one but theirselves ( if that ) . And on the other hand , those who want to wreck other people's career get away with a yellow at best ??? That's ridiculous

·
Registered
78 Posts
Apart from the obvious there isnt much difference between taylors challenge and owens on Vidic. Both went in high with their studs. Consistency issue again

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
J_Stand said:
Apart from the obvious there isnt much difference between taylors challenge and owens on Vidic. Both went in high with their studs. Consistency issue again
how's vida btw

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
If you break a players leg I think it's fair to say that you're guilty of dangerous play, which is a straight red card, whether it is accidental or not.

Can you imagine if Taylor had stayed on the pitch? The Arsenal players would have tried to lynch him during the game!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts