Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to point out something that occurred to me recently.

What correlated exactly with the downfall of Chelsea? Steve Clarke leaving.

What correlated with West Ham suddenly becoming a good team after struggling big time? The arrival or Steve Clarke.

Just something for you to consider..

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Steve Clarke is a good defensive coach. His leaving coincided with Chelsea suddenly forgetting how to defend elementary set pieces.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
yeh its always amazing the coaches (who arent the manager and who many tv fans dont realise are even there) have such a big impact on clubs and do so much work in making teams a success. to be honest in this case though i couldn't give a **** and am glad hes gone :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its definitely something to consider, but its hard to prove tbh.
I remember him in his playing days. He was a solid defender for Chelsea and Scotland I think.
But yes, Hammers are looking less frail this season, mainly due to Upson, Collins and Neill
and quite probably Clarke. Good spot Richie.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
He is the best number 2 in the world .

Its not just about defence either .

He strengthens the whole outfit which enables the flair players to shine as they do not have to constantly worry about defending

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good pick up Ritchie. It is just good for United that Big Phjil didn't rate Clarkey as much as Zola did. So who is the best Number 2 in the past for United? Archie Knox Brian Kidd, Carlos Quieroz, Mike Phelan...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Steve clarke is probably the best no2 and its no suprise the hammers are doing better due to him good spot ritchie. Phil Scolari didn't rate him and chelsea have got terrible defensively, i wonder who long it will be until chelsea try to get him back.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
yeah really good shout, wouldn't have thought of it, but now you mention it, it's logical. i would say that he is especially important under managers who don't speak english perfectly, (grant, scolari, zola) although he would still be transmitting their ideas, it would tend to be him establishing the rapport with the players, and in recent times he has a few medals to show for himself too.
it's an enormous credit that jose came in as european champion etc etc and didn't want anyone else as number two, just took on clarke, and scolari obviously didn't see his ingenuity until it was missing

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I hadn't really thought of this, but I saw this thread the other day and after reading it, I heard a pundit on TV talk about it and I think it makes perfect sense tbh.

Jose Mourinho thought highly of Steve Clarke, as did Avram Grant but Scolari obviously didn't and it looks like he's paying the price.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
yeah credit to steve clark since he arived at west ham they really have been a decent team and we saw that today
and when you look at the downfall of chelski it kinda all fits together dont it

well said mate

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Steve Clarke has been a very good minder as a number 2, look at West Ham, now havent lost a game this year until today! Look at Big Phil struggling, Ray Wilkins looks hard for words to find to back him up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts