Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been confirmed by Sky Sports News that Steve McClaren is set to become manager of Dutch Eredivisie side FC Twente!

And if he does take over the post, he will be managing in the Champions League next season.

==========================================================
McClaren takes Twente tour

Former England coach keen on Dutch post

It has been confirmed that Steve McClaren undertook a guided tour of FC Twente on Tuesday.

The former England boss has been out of work since being removed form his position with the national team back in November.

He has been strongly linked with a move to the Eredivisie over the last few weeks, and was in the stands when Twente booked their place in next season's UEFA Champions League.

The Dutch club are on the lookout for a new manager as Fred Rutten is set to join Bundesliga outfit Schalke this summer.

Contract

Twente chairman Joop Munsterman admits that McClaren has expressed an interest in the post, but insists that there are other candidates in the frame.

"McClaren called FC Twente to get a guided tour around the stadium of FC Twente," Munsterman told De Telegraaf.

"We did not speak about a contract though. There are more candidates."

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
:p....

....from the heights of the Nou Camp in '99, the UEFA Cup with 'boro, to the failure
with England.....this fits the bill for him! :p

G:rolleyes::rolleyes:d Luck!......*laughs"

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually think this is a good job.

Good experience of managing in another country, they finished 4th last season, playing in the Champions League.

He couldn't get a better job in this country, could he? :p

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes i agree it is a good job for him, Twente aren't a bad club and it shouldn't be hard for him to make them climb the league a bit.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wazza1989 said:
hm..this will be interesting...an englishman...coaching a team for netherlands
Sir Bobby Robson?

Not forgetting people like Martin Jol.

Its not different to someone from another country managing in England imo.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
NoxiousD said:
Tbh he shouldnt even be getting a job at McDonalds
Lmao :D Still a few bitter English fans around I see ;)
I like McLaren for his role in our treble season, and his crazy Uefa cup run
with Boro, which made for some quality thursday night tv.
He made a lot of mistakes for England, and I can see that......
but why should I give a hoot? Im Irish :p

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I didn't realise teams finishing 4th in Holland qualified for the Champions League qualifiers. Well good luck to Twente - they'll need it.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
reddwarf said:
I didn't realise teams finishing 4th in Holland qualified for the Champions League qualifiers. Well good luck to Twente - they'll need it.
I don't know exactly how it works.

But the team that finish first get in to the Champions League automatically, and 2nd to 5th play in play-offs to decide who else goes into the Champions League.

I'm not sure if thats 1 or 2 teams that qualify from the play-offs though. I think its 1 team.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
He's not that bad... :p No in all seriousness there's only one question you have to ask yourself before you judge McLaren.

Would Fergie have hired someone as his assistant coach if they were truly incompetent?

Me thinks not. ;)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
dlan4327 said:
He's not that bad... :p No in all seriousness there's only one question you have to ask yourself before you judge McLaren.

Would Fergie have hired someone as his assistant coach if they were truly incompetent?

Me thinks not. ;)
I think he's a great number 2 but I'll never be convinced he's a good number 1.

At Boro he had success in a couple of cup competitions but they never finished in the top half of the Prem under him and I remember one Boro fan running onto the pitch and throwing his season ticket at him. On their run to the UEFA Cup Final on more than one occasion they found themselves in dire situations and the only thing McClaren could do was throw on 4 strikers. The players rescued themselves a couple of times but they were torn apart in the final when trying the same tactic.

As England manager he made numerous mistakes of which most of us are all aware.

Perhaps he will be a success at Twente but the report says the fans are against his appointment, which doesn't bode well.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Keano! said:
:p....

....from the heights of the Nou Camp in '99, the UEFA Cup with 'boro, to the failure
with England.....this fits the bill for him! :p

G:rolleyes::rolleyes:d Luck!......*laughs"
Maybe this should be something to bet on?

How many months will Steve be in charge of Twente?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I love that photo of him with the umbrella, so funny.. just blocking out the rest of the world from his inadaquacies !!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts