1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
They haven't gone, Clarky :
I wouldn't be too sure of that Ste.:frown:

Taken from Stockport forum.

Some more detail:

We've been royally shafted by the owner of Sale Sharks, someone worth £200m+.

He bought the club from the bloke who oversaw our best period ever in the 90s. He came with supposedly good intentions bringing Sale Sharks with him, who needed a ground bigger than their 5000 capacity place.

Those who didn't trust him suggested he only came because his rugby team needed somewhere bigger. After 2 relegations, the departure of several decent players for ******* peanuts and losses of £1.5m in his final year as owner, he finally did what a few people thought he'd do. He sold the club but kept the ground.

In keeping the ground though, he also kept the valuable income streams that came with it. Conference and banqueting was big business, making us several hundred thousand a year, a shitload in lower league terms. They also kept the income for food and drink which included our ******* games. All we were left with was gate money and programme sales. TV money and sponsorship too. Not enough to compete, as it turns out.

Add to that the fact we had to service an outstanding debt of £4m by paying 30% of all transfer profit to him. So £500k is only actually worth £350k to us.

We had no option though. The people who signed the deal apparently had no option or he would have put us into admin. The ****.

At first the supporters trust struggled. Our first season of ownership was in the basement division. We stayed up on the last day. We somehow made a profit though. Well, that's what was said at the time. The next year we missed the playoffs on goal difference. The year after (last season) we went up via the playoffs and have brought in circa £2m in transfer fees.

The problem is the MD and Chairman during this time were trusted too much. Or maybe they covered their tracks after getting in too deep. Fans running clubs was supposed to safeguard our future, not wanting to put us at risk by overspending that a millionaire might do. Except they didn't.

Last summer they obtained a £250k loan from a venture capital company in order to secure an overdraft from the bank. This was supposedly to help us trade like a normal business. The thing is though, the following month we sold Liam Dickinson for £800k. At that point we should have replaced him with a season long loan player from a Premiership club and got our house in order. We should have said thanks but no thanks to the 250k loan and used the remaining profit on Dickinson to pay historical tax debts. But instead, we kept the 250k loan in place and spent a further 450k on new players. The plan was that we had significant interest in 4 or 5 of our players and if 2 of them went in the transfer window that would cover the losses.

As it turned out things caught up with us. We did sell two players in January and let several more go. But our weak position was there for all to see and we got peanuts for ******* good players. It's close to a fact that if we'd kept last years team together and added the goalkeeper we ended up getting (who came to us having never played a league game at crewe and within 6 months was in the full Wales squad) we'd have been promoted by now. I'm convinced. We were better than MK and P'boro.

As it is, the MD ****ed off earlier this year. The new chairman undercovered the tonnes of hidden *****. We saved our skin (and admin) 2 or 3 times with hours to spare. We worked with Kennedy on a plan to go forward, with him getting his money back and us having a positive future. Crucially the 250k loan (with 50k kickback) was set to be paid off in full, with a significant amount offered just this morning. It was within hours of being announced.

Then the loan company forced us into administration. Nobody knows why. There is speculation that they've been working alongside the leader of Stockport council (Dave Goddard, an absolute **** of a man who has in the past been pictured on council business wearing a Man City tie and who also suggested running buses from Stockport to Eastlands when it first opened).

Basically, this one will run and run. In so many ways I feel like throwing my considerable weight behind a brand new club in the mould of FCUM, AFC Liverpool, AFC Telford, Aldershot, Wimbledon etc etc. As things stand we are in for a slow death. Painful too. We will end up in non league anyway. I'd rather we started there and moved upwards and ended up there, a shell of a football club.

It's fairly certain we've played our last game at Edgeley Park. Brighton away could well be the last game Stockport County FC play.

I hope i'm wrong.

S

·
0 Posts
aint fc got plans to eventually have their own ground on the way anyways?
Yes mate, we've just signed a new 2 yr deal with Bury so it wont be for at least 2 years yet.

Good idea.
Stupid idea, Stockport is a bitter blue area, hate United hate FCUM.
Too far from Manchester, Stockport fans hate FC, they'd claim we are stealing their fans etc.
3,000 Reds traveling through blue country every week? no chance.
Police would oppose it, council would oppose it, Stockport FC/Sale Sharks would oppose it and FCUM fans wouldn't have it anyway.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Stockport strife hits stars of the future hard

Stockport strife hits stars of the future hard - Confessions of a Correspondent - FourFourTwo

My younger brother Sam has been with Stockport County for a year, playing in their U14 side.

On Monday, I had an email from his mum. In contrast to his school report, Stockport’s coaches had given Sam a glowing report.

They said he thinks like a true centre-forward and that they had been delighted with his progress. If his improvement continues, they said, then prepare for a few surprises.

Without getting carried away, the family were delighted. It had been a big burden on time and resources just keeping him at Stockport.

He was required to train on a Monday and Wednesday night on the other side of Manchester – a journey which would have taken over two hours each way using public transport.

So the family weighed in with support. My dad would drive Sam through the Manchester rush-hour once a week, watch him train and bring him home. Sam’s mum would do likewise – and wait freezing as he trained.

My sister and her husband chipped in. I did a small stint too, getting up at 7am to drive him two hours to Lilleshall on a freezing November morning. It was worth it, he scored two belters.

Parents and family are seriously told not to celebrate goals. I’ll face the rap on that one then. I was up for letting flares off in the Shropshire countryside.

Given Sam’s weekly wage was £10 for collecting and sorting United We Stand’s mail and £5 for delivering newspapers, all the petrol money came out of the family’s pocket. It seemed worth it.

I received another email on Wednesday from Sam’s mum. “Can you check out rumours that Stockport County are going to shut their school of excellence?”

As I chased it up, I received another email a day later.

“All the lads got told that they are being let go last night. They are gutted. The centre of excellence will close.”

Then the events began to gather momentum. A friend at a television company in Manchester, who didn’t know that Sam was at Stockport, emailed to say: “Stockport have gone into administration.”

The following duly went out on the wire: “Stockport County have gone into administration after falling into financial difficulties. The club are reported to have appointed Leonard Curtis, an accountancy firm, as administrators and say they remain hopeful of finding a buyer.

“We are keen to work with the board to explore all possible solutions to ensure the club's future prospects are protected as far as possible.”

Leonard Curtis said in a statement: “We are extremely hopeful that we will find a buyer for the club and are already aware of a number of expressions of interest.

“We are committed to working with the club’s management team to resolve this situation as quickly as possible, balancing the needs of concerned creditors with the future of the club.”

That means little to Sam. His team-mates have taken the announcement as a personal judgement of their ability. He’ll miss his mates and the summer tournament in Ibiza which they’d been looking forward to.

He idolises his coach, Mick. Even my dad, who hates everyone apart from Bill Clinton, likes Mick. He could be out of a job too, but Mick was more concerned about the welfare of the kids he’d been coaching and the negative effect it will have on them.

It’s a harsh introduction to the real world for Sam. He has no club, but there’s a possible silver lining.

A scout from a club called Manchester United watched him last week against Burnley and, along with another Stockport player, has been offered two trials with United this month. His focus is now on staying fit for them.

So watch out Macheda and Welbeck. OK, OK… but what’s football without dreams?

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
They are going to stop deducting so many points for administration in this economic slimate because clubs are dropping like flies. They need to be bringing in measures to ensure sound finances, rather than punishing teams for a symptom which is not their own doing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts