Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strikers love to score goals. Strikers job is to score goals. But is it everthing ? Or can a complete striker *minus the goal scoring record* be called world class based on his all around game despite not scoring alot of goals ?

I was wondering about that since andy Johnson scored at the other weekend. Im not calling him world class but I rate him highly and I was surprised by the amount of criticism he got for not scoring for too long. He's got more to his game than just scoring and based on the results everton has been getting since last season, he's doing a good job.

Im not talking about the Wayne Rooneys here , Im talking about strikers like Dirk Kuyt and Fernando Torres. Can they make it big / be called world class based on what they add to the team rather than their goal scoring record ?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Kuyt may aswell be on a treadmill than on a football pitch imho.

Torres as far as I know has an impressive goalscoring record and he is unlucky to be injured at the start of the season.

In response to your main theory I think that the type of player you have described does not receive any real recognition unless he scores a good few himself.
Strikers should complement each other but both must be capable of scoring goals to be described as world class.

I think a good example of this is the Berbatov - Keane partnership at Spurs.
Berbatov is the target man for high balls mainly and Keane for the ball over the top.
Berbatov probably makes more assists but he also had a hugely impressive goal scoring record last season.

Essentially, to be recognised as a world class striker you need to score a lot of goals.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasnt talking about partnerships, I was talking about strikers as indivisuals. For example, Drogba of 2005/06 was a world class striker in my eyes. He didnt score many goals that season but his contribution was massive and he led chelsea to the league title. His all around game was great, everything he did was class except his scoring record. I still considered him world class though.

PS : Torres averages 14 goals a season which is not exactly an impressive goal scoring record.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
For me its not all about scoring goals. Its the contribution they make for their team that is important. You refered to Andy Johnson who may not get a load of goals but his workrate and the job he does for his team can only be admired. He has the potential to be 'world class' in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts