Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I would give it back to David Platt. Like Hodgson, he has experience of foreign footballing cultures and he comes across as one of the more intelligent, thoughtful English footballers/ex-footballers.

Whoever is appointed stands a huge chance of landing the senior job since there is no sign of Hodgson's successor in the Premier League.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would give it back to David Platt. Like Hodgson, he has experience of foreign footballing cultures and he comes across as one of the more intelligent, thoughtful English footballers/ex-footballers.

Whoever is appointed stands a huge chance of landing the senior job since there is no sign of Hodgson's successor in the Premier League.
Platt did actually coach the U21s 10 years ago. I'm not sure he would be my pick. I would rather it went to Southgate.

·
Quadrospazzed on a life-glug
2,360 Posts
Hoddle might not be a bad choice. Supposedly he's a good coach but a bit on the condescending side. That wouldn't go over too well with the egos in the senior squad but might help keep some of the young lads humble and receptive to his ideas.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Hoddle is the best choice for sure. He needs to have more control over player selection though. I can understand starting Jones in midfield against Brazil, but a few of the other players like Ox should have played in the U21.

·
Agonising transfer muppet
3,306 Posts
The best best candidate would probably be someone we haven't heard of, someone brought up with modern football and coaching practices. But this is the FA so jobs for the old boys again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Southgate is a pretty good choice with a fairly modern outlook on the game. Hopefully he will try to emphasize skill and possession, rather than conservativism and physicality. Obviously he won't have it too easy with all the politics at the FA and he can't do anything about the problems in grassroots football that are stopping us from emulating germany, spain, italy etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts