Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sulky Ronaldo is accused of trying to break Silva's leg and clashes with other Brazil stars during Portugal's heavy defeat
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1087905/Sulky-Ronaldo-accused-trying-break-Silvas-leg-volatile-Brazil-clash.html?ITO=1490

Cristiano Ronaldo was accused of almost breaking a Brazil defender's leg on a miserable night for the Portugal and Manchester United star.

The 23-year-old had hoped to press his claim as the best player in the world during the friendly in Brasilia, but was largely anonymous as his team were hammered 6-2.

The winger clashed with several opponents and sulked through the match as Kaka, Robinho and Luis Fabiano far outshone Ronaldo.

And Brazil centre back Thiago Silva, who has been linked with a January move to Chelsea, criticised the former Sporting Lisbon player for a crude tackle in the second half.

Silva, who is set to leave Fluminense when his contract runs out next month, refused to let Ronaldo help him to his feet after the challenge and the pair exchanged words on the pitch.

The 24-year-old defender said: 'I don't accept his apology. He has the cheek to say I jumped over his tackle. But if I did not jump he would have broken my leg.

'Being considered the best player in the world, he must have more respect. It is difficult to accept what he did.

'He is a little [naughty], yes. But that is football. And we need to know to deal with it. 'He was nervous because he couldn't create anything.'

The incident came towards the end of Portugal's humbling by a team who had failed to score in five of their last seven games and were reportedly on the verge of ousting manager Dunga.

Things started brightly for Portugal when Zenit St Petersburg forward Danny scored in the fourth minute. But Sevilla's Luis Fabiano responded quickly with the first of a hat-trick. Maicon, Elano and Adriano scored the rest for Brazil, while Simao hit Portugal's second.

Ronaldo had swept into Brazil earlier in the week cheekily insisting he was the first, second and third best players in the world.

But reigning Ballon d'Or and FIFA World Footballer of the Year Kaka showed him a trick or two.

Ronaldo consistently looked frustrated and complained to the referee within seven minutes after limping out of a challenge with Manchester City rival Elano. Late in the game he clashed with a possible future team-mate - Real Madrid left-back Marcelo.

The pair squared up and the Brazilian said afterwards: 'He poked me in the chest and I said that he shouldn't do that. He wanted to shout louder than me and then I replied. But this is a game, it's normal.'

The Portuguese press criticised the Old Trafford idol for being selfish after the match and raised questions about the future of coach Carlos Queiroz.

Queiroz, the Manchester United former No 2 who has only been in the job since this summer, refused to criticise Ronaldo.

'The formation is different (to Manchester United) and so are the players that work with him,' said the coach. 'We have to give him support and service so that Cristiano can show more of his football.'

Queiroz avoided comparing Ronaldo to AC Milan star Kaka, and said: 'The stories surrounding this match were not created by me. The environment that I created was that this was a game between Brazil and Portugal.'

Dunga said he still thought Ronaldo would take the acclaim this year but singled out Manchester City star Robinho as a future contender for the top awards in football.

'We have to respect what Cristiano Ronaldo has done in recent years. He is deserving,' said Dunga. 'Robinho is also an exceptional level and is growing, maturing. Soon we will have three Brazilians disputing the award for best in the world.'

Dunga was once again jeered by supporters at this rarest of events: a home friendly by Brazil.

Rumours on Tuesday suggested he would resign after the Portugal game following a poor start to the World Cup qualifying came, but he insisted: 'The way that we played gives us more confidence to continue our work.

'When I see the president (of the CBF Ricardo Teixeira) he is calm and supportive.'

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Well In Ronnie lad...keep that grin flowing!!He's so arrogant its funny,why cant he bring a bit more fire to his games with us?He deserves to clobber a few players after battering he gets(sometimes :p)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think it shows that he's still not up there in playing big games, even though it was a friendly it shows the 2 clubs play the best looking football! He needs more confidence in big games and show them up, yes he is the best footballer in the world at this current world, if he wants to stay top he will remain last seasons performance along with free flowing football against big teams in big games!

·
Registered
8 Posts
CaptainRoyKeane said:
I think it shows that he's still not up there in playing big games, even though it was a friendly it shows the 2 clubs play the best looking football! He needs more confidence in big games and show them up, yes he is the best footballer in the world at this current world, if he wants to stay top he will remain last seasons performance along with free flowing football against big teams in big games!
Like you said it was a friendly; hardly a big game. I have no doubt he'll win the award and he's already continuing with last seasons performances, scoring 9 goals, 1 less than at this stage last season with a few less games he's played. I think scoring against Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea in a European final shows he can do it in big games.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I saw the game and he was acting extremely immature in the game with his constant whining to the ref and to other players, it was disgraceful, kind of reminded me of gallas's antics. I dont see how he is the captain of the portuguese.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
migueldadon said:
I saw the game and he was acting extremely immature in the game with his constant whining to the ref and to other players, it was disgraceful, kind of reminded me of gallas's antics. i dont see how he is the captain of the portuguese.
he is the captain because he is queiroz`s bum boy:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm "sort of Portuguese".....he shouldn't be the captain! Clearly, having abundant skill is not the primary criteria for being "captain"! He's way too image conscious and self absorbed to be captain!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
ronaldo's such an impressive player but his gigantic ego is beginning to take centre stage and he has definatley got worse since his summer pantomine , if he carries on with this attitude he will end up the most disliked player ever .

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
The world practically hates him. Now would be a good time to show him our support and show him that we are on his side. We all know what happened after the World cup incident. By now, the opposition should know that pi**ing him off would generally be a bad idea.

·
23,699 Posts
Possibly unloved and hated now by his football peers after these unceremonious and brainless outbursts in a friendly match (and now his 'reputation' may well go before him throughout the general football world).

Interesting to see how he is going to salvage it but more importantly, how the fans will react.

Of course, in normal circumstances, we will all be behind him just like what happened after the World Cup. But after what happened in the summer, it may be harder to cheer for him given yet another terrible and unnecessary antic, although I still think we should support him as long as he is wearing red.

But can we keep doing so to accomodate him when we all know the ugly truths and also what is being right and wrong?

What a gifted player but such poor personalities and characters. When will he grow up? :rolleyes: :(

premiership latest

Brazilian Stars Label United's Ronaldo As ‘Malicious' And A ‘Bigmouth'

Two Brazilian stars are fuming with anger at Manchester United's star Cristiano Ronaldo and have labelled him as ‘malicious' and a ‘bigmouth'.

The Manchester United winger was part of the Portuguese national squad which was thrashed by a 6-2 scoreline by Brazil in their friendly encounter in Brasilia on Wednesday.

Ronaldo was accused of attempting to break Thiago Silva's leg during the encounter in Brasilia.

Silva who plays for Fluminense and has been linked with a move to Premiership stalwarts Chelsea in the summer, said: “He's a malicious guy and if I hadn't jumped out of the way he would have broken my leg.

“He just lost it because we snuffed him totally out of the game.

“He had the nerve to say he didn't touch me but that's only because I got out of his way.

“Then he realised he was in the wrong and tried to apologise but I wasn't accepting that."

Real Madrid ace Marcelo said: "Ronaldo was out of order and a bigmouth. He elbowed me off the ball, then tried to have a shouting match about it."

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm getting more and more sick of him.

He may well be the best player in the World, but his ego and behaviour have deteriorated at an unbelievable rate and its going to far. Hes nothing but a disrespectful, egotistical little idiot (to be polite) and we should have sold him in the summer.

Rant over. I'm calm again :p

·
Registered
585 Posts
manutd004 said:
I'm getting more and more sick of him.

He may well be the best player in the World, but his ego and behaviour have deteriorated at an unbelievable rate and its going to far. Hes nothing but a disrespectful, egotistical little idiot (to be polite) and we should have sold him in the summer.

Rant over. I'm calm again :p
Well SAF disagrees and it looks like he made the right decision as he is our top scorer this season by quite some margin now and is one better than he was this time last season.

Personally I couldn't give two hoots what he does for Portugal. As Gary Neville once said what goes on intenationally has nothing to do with United. Moreover, most United fans would love him to lose his rag and get suspended for international matches as they can't stand international matches.

So he may have bad sides to his game but who doesn't? Just look at Rooney's behaviour on the pitch sometimes. People call it passionate but when you are getting cursed by your own supporters for charging down the pitch, fouling Sagna when Vidic had it under control and giving away a free kick which lead to the first goal for Arsenal two weeks ago (I was there) then you know things are going too far. Both of them find it hard to control themselves when things aren't going their way. Its not ideal though.

What we forget is these players like Marcello playing the innocent. Don't be fooled. This is a very Dennis wise-esque thing to do. They winde the player up, then when they react they play the innocent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts