Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
21,930 Posts
Liverpool won the Champions league and finished 5th in the league. Everton finished fourth.

Liverpool played in the CL the next season, Everton didn't.

Winning the UEFA cup doesn't give you a birth in the Champions league.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
huh? The Uefa cup will be called the Europa cup from next season onwards. Its just an attempt to revamp it, put more money in etc.

No they dont. THey win the cup and thats it as well as whatever prize money is on offer.
yeah yeah i read up on that. i thought u was saying if his united manager he wont have to worry cause were to good for the uefa/europa cup. my bad didnt understand

oooo well i guess it just offers teams a euro day out and some cash and a super cup place then so not much. bonus for the fans if anything. but still will do city a massive favor because it will end years of hurt

·
Registered
25,282 Posts
yeah yeah i read up on that. i thought u was saying if his united manager he wont have to worry cause were to good for the uefa/europa cup. my bad didnt understand

oooo well i guess it just offers teams a euro day out and some cash and a super cup place then so not much. bonus for the fans if anything. but still will do city a massive favor because it will end years of hurt
thats what I was saying actually lol. I just misundertood your post after it.

but you are right. Some clubs never get to do Euro aways so fair play to them if they get in.
even fulham have a good chance to get in next year. That would be great for a club like them.

·
Registered
25,282 Posts
Yeah, I think they had a difficult draw though.

Aah I miss the second group stage.
It was Villareal and they were robbed from going through. Collina of all refs made a bad mistake or 2.

I thought the second group stage was pointless. Too many dead games in that one, especially when team x was already through and they could play a crap team against team y. It just wasnt fair. The present format is much better with the knockout stages.

Id feel so sorry for everton or Villa if they did finish 4th and for Arsenal to win the CL. Unlikely but ya never know. The 'right to defend your own crown' debate doesnt quite wash with me. If you can win the CL and NOT finish in the top 4 of your league you dont deserve to have the chance to retain it.

·
Banned
12,978 Posts
It was Villareal and they were robbed from going through. Collina of all refs made a bad mistake or 2.

I thought the second group stage was pointless. Too many dead games in that one, especially when team x was already through and they could play a crap team against team y. It just wasnt fair. The present format is much better with the knockout stages.

Id feel so sorry for everton or Villa if they did finish 4th and for Arsenal to win the CL. Unlikely but ya never know. The 'right to defend your own crown' debate doesnt quite wash with me. If you can win the CL and NOT finish in the top 4 of your league you dont deserve to have the chance to retain it.
I loved the second group stage, I hate that
December-Febuary no CL period.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.