Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with all the goings on at city and the prosepect of them buying everyone -lol, can a team be totally comprised of superstars and nothing else?? throughout united's history we have had some great team and so have other clubs , but without the journeymen or players that make themselves great but don't necessarily have any natural ability we wouldn't have won some of the things we did.
in '68 players like dunne, brennan, sadler etc were unsung heroes -without them there doing thewre job and not being the greatest in the worls best, charlton etc wouldn't have been so effective. in the 90's bruce and pallister were amazing as a partnership and the best defenders in the world together,b ut on their own wouldn't have made the world's top defenders list to other who hadn't seen them regularly.
the same goes for some of the greatest teams of all time brasil 1970 had players like gerson, carlos alberto , everaldo whose hard work and dedication allowed the superstars to play- same thing with maradona in '86 without the contribution of lesser lights he couldn't have won the world cup for argentina on his own.

i think its a major mistake to think you can just create a team of superstars overnight in almost every position and expect them to be world beaters, temas need to form naturally allow partenrships to form all over the pitch and let a natural balance form - and this doesn't involve just buying the best players for every postion and expecting them to be a world beating team.

i think citteh's cash and the way the owners seem to be going aren't necessarily going to create the successful team they think they will and in fact having a team of superstars could create more problems than it solves.

no team can ever be full of eleven ronaldos, peles, maradonas or kakas. you need you water carriers, your unsung heroes and you home grown talent to create a team and not just a bunch of inflated individuals

·
Registered
57 Posts
well put!

Superstar teams will always have the problem of chemistry. I think the modern example of such a team in Real Madrid, especially a few years ago. This isn't to say that they weren't good, but they weren't as dominant as you might expect a team with such big name players to be.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I was thinking about that, and the only team I can ever think of that actually had world beaters at every position was our team in 99. Think about it:

------------Schmeichel
Neville---Stam---Johnsen--Neville
Becks---Scholes---Keane----Giggs
-----------Yorke-------Cole

Yorke and Cole were the best strike pairing in the world, and only a case for Ronny Johnsen not being a world beater could be made, but even then, he and Stam made one of the best duos ever.

A lot of it had to do with Keano, keeping everyone in line, City don't have Roy Keane. Not to mention, Giggs, Scholes, and Neville don't seem to have egos either

1 - 3 of 3 Posts