Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former United player Teddy Sheringham has
announced he will retire at the end of the season.
He currently plays in the Championship for Colchester
and will turn 42 next month.

He is fondly remembered by United fans for the goal
he scored against Bayern Munich in the famous
European Cup Final in 1999.

Sheringham added: "I've no immediate thoughts
about going into management but football has
always been my life and hopefully I will be back
at some point in the future.

"Until then I have to try and help Colchester United
stay in the Championship."

Thanks for the good memories Teddy and good luck.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
really sad.....a legend in the sense that he hit the winning goal for us at the UCl.....good player....but it took him long enough....i was thinking when he was at west ham "he will retire next year" but i was proved wrong for 2 years...then he letf...for another team...and at last he retires....

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
Fair dues to him. He deserves a break and hopefully he'll have a good tim off. Sad to see Teddy leave but I wish him all the best in the future...

Ohh....Teddy, Teddy....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
akash_reds said:
really sad.....a legend in the sense that he hit the winning goal for us at the UCL.....good player....but it took him long enough....i was thinking when he was at west ham "he will retire next year" but i was proved wrong for 2 years...then he letf...for another team...and at last he retires....
Oh the equalizing goal u meant? Anyway, good luck to our dear Teddy! A legend for both United & Spurs.......he help Pompey to secure their first promotion to Premiership. :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

I didn't know that this thread would be so unpopular.....totally unexpected!! He's a legend for both United & Spurs but none of ue didn't even bother to post a R.I.P (Retire In Peace) appreciation for him......I'm flabbergasted & disappointed.....:( :( :(

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Apart from 'Giggs with the shot...SHERINGHAM!' he came on for an injured Roy Keane in the FA Cup Final and scored the opener that year. I think he only scored a few goals that season but boy were they important!!!

He formed a great partnership with Shearer for England too. I'll always remember his role in our 4-1 demolition of Holland at Euro 96.

Sheringham has won so much in the game and to keep playing into his early 40's is an achievement in itself. A shame that a great player will be hanging up his boots but I think it's fair to say he deserves a rest!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Knowing he play somewhere else and him retiring is two different feeling. He amazed me how he can still play at the age of 35 years old and still scoring goals. What a great legend, the player we bought to replace Cantona and whom many doubted with on his first year, he live on untill that unforgetable night at Nou Camp and make his name among the many legends we have at Old Trafford. Im honoured to have his name part of our great history and with this decision, i wish him all the best in whatever he do in the remaining part of his life. Certainly now, he can sit back and look back at the trophies he have won and look back at the good time he had. Thank You Teddy, he will never be forgotten!

·
Registered
33 Posts
And so young :(

I guess he has never heard of Chris Chelios, who is still playing at the age of 46 in the NHL.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Teddy in a prominent manager role in a few years. HE just strikes me as the kind of person who would succeed in coaching.

·
Registered
169 Posts
wishing you well in your retirement sir edward of sheringham! will never forget that week in 99 when you helped us win the treble! them were the days!

S

·
0 Posts
The Career of Teddy Sheringham

1. Millwall
(Signed on as apprentice in January 1984, aged 17. Appearances: 244, Goals: 111.)

2. Aldershot
(On loan, February 1985, aged 18. Appearances: 5, Goals: 0.)

3. Nottingham Forest
(Bought for £2 million in July 1991, aged 25. Appearances: 62, Goals: 23.)

4. Tottenham Hotspur
(Bought for £2.1 million in August 1992, aged 26. Appearances: 194, Goals: 99.)

5. Manchester United
(Bought for £3.5 million in June 1997, aged 31. Appearances: 104, Goals: 47.)

6. Tottenham Hotspur
(Free transfer, May 2001, aged 35. Appearances: 76, Goals: 26.)

7. Portsmouth
(Free transfer, June 2003, aged 37. Appearances: 30, Goals: 10.)

8. West Ham United
(Free transfer, July 2004, aged 38. Appearances: 49, Goals: 30.)

9. Colchester United
(Free transfer, July 2007, aged 41.)

Overall career statistics:
Total transfer value: £7.6 million; Appearances: 624; Goals: 346.

(Oh, and he played 51 times for England, scoring 11 goals too...)

Thanks for some great memories !!!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Absolute Legend!! I met him last summer he was doing pre season training in Limerick (in the University I wento to) with Colchester! He's such a hero,

HE CAME TO UNITED AND HE WON IT ALL!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts