Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://football.uk.reuters.com/uk/news/LG698107.php?rpc=401&

LONDON, Sept 16 (Reuters) - Chelsea captain John Terry will be available for Sunday's Premier League clash against champions Manchester United after winning his appeal against a red card.

The Football Association said on Tuesday that an independent regulatory commission hearing had overturned the red card Terry received when he brought down Manchester City striker Jo late on in his side's 3-1 victory on Saturday.

Had referee Mark Halsey's decision been allowed to stand Terry would have received an automatic three-match suspension starting with the United fixture this weekend.

Halsey dismissed Terry for serious foul play after he grabbed hold of Brazilian Jo near the centre circle after Chelsea's Deco had misplaced a pass.

The decision to show Terry a straight red card seemed harsh at the time as there were other covering defenders, although Halsey's insistence that it was for serious foul play appeared to weaken Terry's case.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Can't really complain. If one of our players was sent of like that we would be
raging if it wasn't rescinded.It was a bad decisions to give a straight red.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Usually I'd say justice done but not with this ******, he's never had a straight red before, which absoluely amazes me!!!!! He deserved that red card simply based on the fact that he gets away with murder all of the time... numerous blatent hand balls in the box and spitting on Tevez immediately come to mind!

HATE HIM!!

But hey at least he'll have to listen to Viva John Terry for the afternoon!!

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
It's not certain that Carvalho would have got there though and Terry clearly rugby tackled Jo to deny a goalscoring opportunity. Clear red card for me.

carvalho was clearly closer to goal than either terry or jo.
guaranteed it will be reduced to a yellow.

im not one to gloat, but told ya.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
then surely the ref should be banned instead for such a stupid decision.you should either stick to the refs decision or get rid of the ref, but to me it stinks of lenientcy towards the england captain yet again! anyone remember when shearer kicked a player in the face and no action was taken , if it were keane or cantona they would have received a 12 game ban .these clowns running the fa make me sick.:confused:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
JOHN TERRY is free to face Manchester United after winning the appeal over his controverisal red card.
The Chelsea skipper was sent off by Mark Halsey at Manchester City after pulling down striker Jo with his arm.

Despite the Blues initially complaining that Terry was not the last defender, referee Halsey actually produced the card for serious foul play.

That is classed as when someone "uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is play".

Today's ruling means the England captain can now face title challengers United at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

An FA statement read: "At an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today, a claim for wrongful dismissal from Chelsea's John Terry was upheld.

"Terry was shown a red card for serious foul play during Chelsea's match against Manchester City on September 13.

"As a result of today's hearing, Terry's three match suspension has been withdrawn."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1696043.ece

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
well why they didnt see that there was another man c player coming on the left and from a cross a goal could be made

and i agree with you sweet fa

·
Registered
524 Posts
Scolari: Terry Return Is A 'Pleasant Surprise'

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari is surprised at the overturning of captain John Terry's three game ban and straight red card, and insists that it is an unprecedented step compared to other countries.

During Saturday 13 September's 'Clash of the Cash' tie at the City of Manchester Stadium, John Terry was given his marching orders for a cynical foul on Jô.

The Chelsea and England captain pulled the Brazilian to the floor close to the half-way mark and even though Ricardo Carvalho was in a position to cover Terry should he have let his man on, he was still sent for an early bath and faced three games on the sidelines as a consequence.

The FA though reversed the decision, and the 27-year old is now clear to face title rivals Manchester United on Sunday lunchtime.

Chelsea head coach Luiz Felipe Scolari is quoted by Sky Sports as saying: "I am satisfied because it is the first time I am a coach when they changed the decision of the referee. I think only in England this would happen. In other countries the referee is the God."

"This time the referee said he made a mistake. For me it is a surprise, a positive surprise," the 59-year old continued. "The Football Association understand that the referee makes mistakes sometimes like you and me."

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson on the other hand is furious about the decision, he said: "Keith Hackett [referee's assessor] told Mark Halsey [referee] to rescind the red card and he would not do it. Now I understand Halsey is refereeing in division two this weekend. I do not understand how this has happened."

"If it had been Manchester United, Keith Hackett would not have done this. In future, if referees are seen to make mistakes then this [demotion] is going to have to happen all the time."

This is not the first time Sir Alex Ferguson has criticised Keith Hackett. After Manchester United's defeat in the FA Cup against Portsmouth last season Ferguson pointed the finger at Hackett and referee Martin Atkinson for a series of bad decisions.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
This is the full version as printed on the official United site:

Sir Alex Ferguson launched a furious attack on refs’ chief Keith Hackett after John Terry escaped a red-card ban. Chelsea had Terry’s dismissal for fouling Manchester City’s Jo overturned by the FA. The England centre-half will now not serve a three-match suspension — and is free to face title rivals Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. Sir Alex fumed: “I understand Hackett told ref Mark Halsey to rescind the card and he wouldn’t. So now he is refereeing in League Two this weekend. I do not understand how this has happened. If it had been a Manchester United player, Hackett would not have done this. This is going to have to happen all the time if a referee is considered to have made a mistake.” An independent FA panel — which did not include Hackett — upheld Chelsea’s claim of wrongful dismissal.
Bear in mind, its from the Sun and world famous United hater, reporter Neil *ABU" Custis.

Any bets Fergie now gets called before his darling FA, again?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Can i win V-cash if i bet he will??? :p

Hackett backed after Fergie blast

Referees chief Keith Hackett has been cleared of any responsibility for the decision to overrule John Terry's red card at Manchester City.

Sir Alex Ferguson accused Hackett of being behind the move, which frees the Chelsea skipper to play against Manchester United in Sunday's Premier League clash at Stamford Bridge.

Ferguson, who has been involved in angry exchanges with Hackett before, believes the general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board personally stepped in to get Terry off the hook after Eastlands referee Mark Halsey refused to overturn his original decision.

However, the PGMO insist Hackett was not involved in any about-turn at all.

"All matters of discipline are an issue for the FA - and them alone," said a spokesman for the organisation.

Indeed, Ferguson could now find himself in trouble with the Football Association over his latest outburst.

Having already seen Nemanja Vidic suspended following his sending off at Liverpool, the United manager at least felt Terry's absence would even the situation up in Sunday's Premier League encounter.

"Hackett told Halsey to rescind the red card but he would not do it," said Ferguson. "If it had been a Manchester United player, Hackett would not have done this."

Halsey has not commented on the matter and has been informed he will take charge of the League Two encounter between Chester and Shrewsbury on Sunday.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
not seen the incident but because they were appealing against it being a straight red, it couldnt get downgraded to a yellow so it had to be decided that it wasnt worthy of any card for him to get off.

imo, it sucks big time and FA is slowly turning into FIFA. No coincidence that he is england captain by any chance!!!!!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
This happens in England all the time.

The "star" England players, and especially the Captain get away with murder.

However, it probably wasn't a red, but it was a yellow.

But why is it referees who make mistakes or have bad games against the other big clubs get relegated to refereeing in the lower divisions, but when they happen against us they don't?

Sounds a bit funny to me :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts