Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is being reported in several papers today.

Tevez's massive pay demand places United future in jeopardy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1104791/Tevezs-massive-pay-demand-places-United-future-jeopardy.html?ITO=1490

But personal terms are proving a sticking point, with United offering ??80,000 a week rather than placing him among their highest earners, including European player of the year Ronaldo and regular captain Rio Ferdinand.

Tevez, due to arrive back in England today after being allowed to spend time in Argentina for family reasons, is now allowed to talk to other interested parties Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

But United are determined they will not be blackmailed into clinching a deal for the player and Ferguson is not putting pressure on chief executive David Gill to go 'the extra mile' to sign him.

'The Tevez situation doesn't concern me long term,' said Ferguson, who hopes the player's wish to continue at United will prove an influence in his final decision about accepting United's terms.

Tevez will not be available for today's FA Cup third-round tie at Southampton, where Dimitar Berbatov will hope to build on his winning goal against Middlesbrough on Monday night, following a slow start to his Old Trafford career.

Berbatov has scored only three Premier League goals since a record ??31m move from Spurs and Ferguson believes the reason for his struggle is that United's players do not realise how good he is and are too reluctant to pass to him.

Ferguson said: 'I don't think we are using him enough. He is one of those players who can take a ball under pressure because he is so well balanced and has great upper body strength.

'Eastern European players can get their body between the man and the ball and you can never get it off them.'

Ferguson has ruled out any more January deals after the ??17m signings of young Serbians Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic from Partizan Belgrade.

England midfielder Owen Hargreaves is due have a second operation on his right knee on January 15 as he tries to cure a long-standing tendinitis problem.

Former England international Alan Shearer was able to resume his career after a similar operation and Hargreaves hopes to be fully fit for next season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
piazza said:
80,000 to ride the bench seems more than fair to me.
Are you kidding? 80k is what I make in 5 years!
Who do I have to perform sexual favours for and how do i contact them? ;)

It's more than fair. Yes Carlos is a great player, but I think that 80k/week is a fair reflection on his skill and standing within the squad.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Are you kidding? 80k is what I make in 5 years!
Who do I have to perform sexual favours for and how do i contact them? ;)

It's more than fair. Yes Carlos is a great player, but I think that 80k/week is a fair reflection on his skill and standing within the squad.
That was pretty much what I was getting at their, just much, much more subtly. ;) If you think about it, its pretty ridiculous that he'd even be getting that much, to come off of the bench, and start cup games. I adore Carlos Tevez, and I'd like nothing more than him to stay here, so nobody get the wrong idea, but there comes a time where you just have to sit back and think:

Is a 30mil transfer fee+ 80k a week worth it for one year of performances? On a guy who doesn't start.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
piazza said:
That was pretty much what I was getting at their, just much, much more subtly. ;) If you think about it, its pretty ridiculous that he'd even be getting that much, to come off of the bench, and start cup games. I adore Carlos Tevez, and I'd like nothing more than him to stay here, so nobody get the wrong idea, but there comes a time where you just have to sit back and think:

Is a 30mil transfer fee+ 80k a week worth it for one year of performances? On a guy who doesn't start.
It's ridiculous man...... even at Chelsea, Shevchenko only lasted two seasons. If you earn 80k a week you need to be starting and if you aren't you shouldn't be asking for 125k/week, unless Carlos is trying to force his way out of Old Trafford.

it's a ridiculous wage.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
RedForceRising said:
It's ridiculous man...... even at Chelsea, Shevchenko only lasted two seasons. If you earn 80k a week you need to be starting and if you aren't you shouldn't be asking for 125k/week, unless Carlos is trying to force his way out of Old Trafford.

it's a ridiculous wage.
Tell this to Rio Ferdinand.

But I agree, there's a possibility that he is just trying to secure an exit, but at the same time I think he likes it here, and is just a little upset over the whole Berbatov thing, and let's be honest, If he was still starting 80k wouldn't be a problem for any of us, I think he wants to be paid off of last year's performances, and United don't wanna give starting XI money to a super-sub.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I this is true, I'm a little dissapointed, though i haven seen any official confirmation by any sides of the situation. Tevez knows his value and i'm not surprised if this rumour is true. We shall see. I hope he'll continue at United.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
papers like to make a story out of nothing .

tevez has a worse strike rate per game than our other forwards with 0.15 goals per game in the pl

i think fergie is baulking at the cost to buy him when he could get a 25 goal a season type player for what he will cost .

wage demands are always pegged at silly levels by agents to the press in hope to up players wage and their cut of said wage

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
haggler said:
papers like to make a story out of nothing .

tevez has a worse strike rate per game than our other forwards with 0.15 goals per game in the pl

i think fergie is baulking at the cost to buy him when he could get a 25 goal a season type player for what he will cost .

wage demands are always pegged at silly levels by agents to the press in hope to up players wage and their cut of said wage
It's very unlikely to have 2 players score 25 goals each, and you're being to harsh on Tevez. He's a great striker and like any other striker he has a bad period. Now he has 8 goals and Ronaldo who is topgoalscorer has 10 and it's only the half of the season only I'm 100% he'll score another 8 goals at least. Last season he scored 19 if i remember well , and i'm sure he'll match his number this year. What you are asking for is impossible. And even though it was possible you would be obliged to have a striker like Manucho of a lower value on thebench that would never expect to get in the first 11. So would you like this?guess not cause if one of the 2 would be injured, it would be a biiig lack in the striking compartment.
Oh yeah, and as a last thing with Rooney and Tevez upfront we made the double last season, and this season we aren't in a bad position overall.;)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Wazza1989 said:
It's very unlikely to have 2 players score 25 goals each, and you're being to harsh on Tevez. He's a great striker and like any other striker he has a bad period. Now he has 8 goals and Ronaldo who is topgoalscorer has 10 and it's only the half of the season only I'm 100% he'll score another 8 goals at least. Last season he scored 19 if i remember well , and i'm sure he'll match his number this year. What you are asking for is impossible. And even though it was possible you would be obliged to have a striker like Manucho of a lower value on thebench that would never expect to get in the first 11. So would you like this?guess not cause if one of the 2 would be injured, it would be a biiig lack in the striking compartment.
Oh yeah, and as a last thing with Rooney and Tevez upfront we made the double last season, and this season we aren't in a bad position overall.;)

the more i look at the facts ,i believe it would benefit utd more in the coming seasons if tevez did leave the club .
you think that its very unlikely to have 2 players score 25 goals each ,well if a striker cannot get 25 goals in a season at utd he ain't a quality striker ,utd create many more chance's than most teams and nistlerooy ,cole and yorke hit the target regular and would score that amount in this side.
the REASON utd won the double last year was not because rooney/tevez were up front it was all down to RONALDO scoring about 42 goals because the strikers never scored them.
when we look at everything rationally tevez ain't worth 30 million and massive wages when he will never score a high number of goals per season ,berbatov will always outscore him in my opinion and rooney will match him but is far more pivitol to utds cause ,and now we have got 3 strikers who play deep and its a very bad mix ,tevez is the easiest to replace and his agent is certainly looking for a move so it looks like a parting of the ways to me.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I will contradict you cause i don't think theres a team in europe wich had 2 strikers that scored 25 goals each. I you do find one, show me:)..and please compare on how many goals the top 3 players scored in those teams, ordering them by the number of goals and compare them with top 3's goalscoarers United had last season....i'm realy curious f you'll find anything like this:)...

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
This Teves saga is going to rumble on till summer .

The press have got bored of the Ronaldo buisness and have moved on to Teves .

At the end of the day we all knew he was on loan until 2009 so we all had a idea that he may stay or he may go . I would love him to stay with us past the summer he is always a busy lad on the pitch and Id rather have on my team then against .

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'd let him go if thats his attitude!
We have already paid around 10m for his 2 year loan, and to pay another 32m along with 80k - 120k per week is crazy for a striker that is missing the chances he has this season.
He also said that he would like to play in spain someday and return to Boca when he's still in his prime. If we did sign him how long would he stay? 2 years maybe at the most. Thats an awful waste of cash.

Don't get me wrong I like the guy and appreciate what he did last season for, but he hasn't been impressive this season and doesn't seem to know what to do with the ball this season when he's given a game. He's like a lost sheep on the pitch. Its better to let him go and look at another target who can do a solskaer job for us. We need a poacher!!

Does anyone know why is back in Argentina at the moment, I know it says something about Family reasons, but I have a feeling its deeper than that.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I heard 125 k a match which I thought was outrageous to be fair. 80k isn't so bad but still just to sit on the bench for the majority of games and then maybe make a cameo appearance each time we're 3/4-0 up? I really want to keep him but if he's going to cost so much it wouldn't hurt to look elsewhere to see what we could get for our money Huntelaar wouldn of been a great buy but Madrid have him now. Maybe Villa? Tevez is a class player no doubt and if SAF can hold onto him I think he will.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wazza1989 said:

sweet fa said:
the more i look at the facts ,i believe it would benefit utd more in the coming seasons if tevez did leave the club .
you think that its very unlikely to have 2 players score 25 goals each ,well if a striker cannot get 25 goals in a season at utd he ain't a quality striker ,utd create many more chance's than most teams and nistlerooy ,cole and yorke hit the target regular and would score that amount in this side.
the REASON utd won the double last year was not because rooney/tevez were up front it was all down to RONALDO scoring about 42 goals because the strikers never scored them.
when we look at everything rationally tevez ain't worth 30 million and massive wages when he will never score a high number of goals per season ,berbatov will always outscore him in my opinion and rooney will match him but is far more pivitol to utds cause ,and now we have got 3 strikers who play deep and its a very bad mix ,tevez is the easiest to replace and his agent is certainly looking for a move so it looks like a parting of the ways to me.

Hmmm..... quite opposing posts.

To start off, 4 of the goals Tevez has scored this season came in a league cup match.

Next, what has manucho being on the bench got to do with anything? He's a backup player and as such is expected to warm the bench and 'try' to make an impact once in a while - for a paltry salary.

125,000 per week is a very, very HUGE salary to warm the bench.

In fact, it is a salary befitting of a super star.

I don't think Tevez is a super star and I don't think he's the solution to our problems.

Sweet FA - I agree with most of your post, but I don't think number of goals is the only criteria for judging players.

Have a look at Drogba's stats and you would be surprised by the number of goals he's scored since he's joined Chelsea.

However, he brings a whole lot to Chelsea other than just goals.

Also don't be to quick to discredit the late goals that Tevez scored for us last season. That would not be fair on Tevez and his contribution.

However, I hve a strong suspicion that if we had a more clinical striker in our ranks, we wouldn't be needing those late goals.

However, the lack of goals at the moment is NOT just down to the strikers, it's not clicking amongst all the attacking players at the moment.

Back on topic, with a really bad-looking economic crisis about to get worse, I really don't think 30mil and 125k a week for a super sub is the right thing for the club.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If Rooney's worth 120k per week i think Carlos is worthy of the same money. Basically if this has any truth which it probably doesn't Carlos will be off at the end of the season and we would have lost one of our best players for the sake of buying a lazy Bulgarian who has had far less of an impact than Tevez did at this stage last season, makes me angry just thinking about it.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Its ridiculous with players these days asking for so much money ! 80 grand a week is a hell load of money, considering what he was earning at Corinthians and West Ham. He needs to realise how impossible it is for Fergie to offer hi m 125k or whatever, when he isn't performing all that great. It takes time to reach that kind of a wage rate at United.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
If indeed it is true that he's demanding a wage
rise I'd tell him to be nice and just pack his bags
before July rather than today.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Tevez staying put at United as he denies contract rumours

Carlos Tevez has denied reports he has rejected a new contract with Manchester United and revealed his disappointment over the speculation.
The Argentina striker, who was given a week off over the New Year by manager Sir Alex Ferguson, insisted that his intentions were to remain at the club, but could not fathom where the reports had come from.

'We have not started talks with Manchester United yet, though I am keen to stay,' declared Tevez.
'Sir Alex Ferguson has told me he wants me to remain a United player and that is certainly my desire too.
'My contract ends in the summer and we have agreed to sit down at the end of the season and discuss a new contract, nothing I have heard from the club suggests it will be otherwise.

'There is simply no reason to sit down now. I have a great relationship with Sir Alex and I hope that will continue long into the future.'
Controversial agent Kia Joorabchian, who heads the investment fund currently owning the rights to Tevez confirmed the player's intentions adding: 'Manchester United have indicated they would like to sign Carlos for the long term, but we have not started negotiations yet.
'There is no urgency as his contract runs until the summer. Carlos has always said his intent is to stay at United and nothing has changed.
'The supporters have been amazing to him and he loves the club.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1105092/Tevez-staying-United-denies-contract-rumours.html

1 - 20 of 64 Posts