Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are we finding it so hard to come by?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased we're winning games, even if my heart is struggling to cope with all these 1-0 wins, but I'd like to see us back to the United I'm used to. We created so many chances today and if we were as ruthless as we were in the previous two campaigns we could have wiped out Liverpool's goal difference on us.

Is it because our strikers are not performing? Is it because we need to sign a predatory striker because our current strikers don't fit into that category? Is it bad luck?

Whatever it is, I'd like us to start taking more of our chances, because the game could easily have been well and truly over before half time tonight and instead we had to wait until the 83rd minute until my nerves were calmed.

We need to find our ruthless streak again!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I was really confident that tonight would be the night where we put a team to the sword and win quite comfortably, but it wasn't to be..!:D
We do seem to have a problem with scoring this season, dunno why, can't really blame anything for it..
It's not as if we haven't been creating plenty of chances.. We usually have a far superior goal difference to our main rivals in the league but this season we're behind both Chelsea and Liverpool..

If we keep winning games 1-0 from now until the end of this season i'll be happy but it's not good for the heart at all..!:) Again tonight the same thing, we should've the game won going in at half-time but we made it hard for ourselves again..! I'm not sure you will see us score much more than 2 goals in each game from now until the end of the season either, every result is going to be dug out and fought for now in the remaining games..!:cool:

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
I think it's something to do with us not really having any predatory strikers, as you say, and also because of Ronaldo's slight drop in form this season. Also, we get very few goals from our midfield, but with an attacking outlet of Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov, we shouldn't need to!

But anyway, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov are not out-and-out strikers. You could argue that we haven't played with one of those since Ruud left anyway (seeing as Saha was always injured), but we didn't notice before cos Ronaldo was on fire.

As for all our wastefulness, it could happen to any team but its happening especially this season, and so we have to conclude it's something to do with the strikers making mistakes (and Giggsy today!!)

I agree that we need to get back to thrashings asap - I'm tired of sitting there practically shitting myself thinking we're gonna concede an equaliser!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
three points is three points...
Thanks for your intelligent and thought provoking post. Without such intellectuals as you on the forum it would no doubt cease to exist. The status quo can only be kept at an equilibrium with people like you raising the IQ levels. Thankyou for your efforts in this thread, without your input it would surely have failed. The other members should take note of your insightful comment and look to emulate you in the future.

Johnnyryan: An inspiration to us all.

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
Although it would be great to see some big scoring games at this point in the season, I have the Vindaloo mentally at the moment 'We're going to score one more than you', and if we can do that till the end of the season, then I'll be delighted.

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
Thanks for your intelligent and thought provoking post. Without such intellectuals as you on the forum it would no doubt cease to exist. The status quo can only be kept at an equilibrium with people like you raising the IQ levels. Thankyou for your efforts in this thread, without your input it would surely have failed. The other members should take note of your insightful comment and look to emulate you in the future.

No need to be a sarky sod, it may be a simple post but he made a good point that so long as we win, it doesn't matter! I'd take 1-0 wins up until the end of the season - we don't have to be like Arsenal, trying to pass it into the net and get the perfect goal and then messing up in midfield; get a scrappy goal and all the points!!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No need to be a sarky sod, it may be a simple post but he made a good point that so long as we win, it doesn't matter! I'd take 1-0 wins up until the end of the season - we don't have to be like Arsenal, trying to pass it into the net and get the perfect goal and then messing up in midfield; get a scrappy goal and all the points!!
Try reading the first post. I said I was happy with the wins, just wondering why we're struggling to finish teams off. Silly me for trying to start a discussion. Join Johnnyryan on the inspirational list.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts

its true tho, three points is all that counts. whether 1-0 or 4-3, i couldnt give a hoot.

What he said didnt need any long article going into great lengths of bulls**t, we leave all that up to you LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts

:rofl:
johnnyryan is my hero..!:eek:

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
Try reading the first post. I said I was happy with the wins, just wondering why we're struggling to finish teams off. Silly me for trying to start a discussion. Join Johnnyryan on the inspirational list.
Yeah, and the point we're making is that at this stage of the season, league games are about points not performances.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its true tho, three points is all that counts. whether 1-0 or 4-3, i couldnt give a hoot.

What he said didnt need any long article going into great lengths of bulls**t, we leave all that up to you LOL!!!!!
Another one who didn't read the first post properly.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

sorry mate, im just really tired, but three points is three points, i say it dont matter how ya win as long as ya win, 1-0 wins are alrite if the opposition is a good team, the likes of everton and villa, they have gud defence players and they suck united in and force them to make mistake, but not getting the second goal againist bad teams is a worry, united may create loads of chances and not take them, i dont know why but i think we dont have a prolific goal scorer..

Ronaldo- he can create goals out of nothing but when things aren't going his way his head is in a different place and he is more concerned with picking arguements with officals and players..

Rooney- great all round player but should be played up front more often, it the portsmouth match he tore em apart, made great runs and chased ever ball, but he drifts too mamy times he should stay up front..

Tevez- same as rooney, likes to run after everything and he concentrates too much on being part of the game than staying up front..

Berbatov- never was a big fan of him, he was gud at spurs because he was better than the other players, didnt think he was the right man to get united goals, thought benzema was the fella they should of signing in the summer..

Plus we have subs like welbeck and kiko, they'll need time to develope, i dont think united can buy there way out of this problem there gonna have to try and work it out...

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Its frustrating knowing you could have scored heaps more, but throughout the match you just can't sit back watching the match and thinking that now we can play in a more relaxed way. With the ability we possess, we should score much more especially on such days. In my opinion, more than the fact that we don't have a striker who can kill off balls, on days like today it was more up to luck. Everything we were doing was perfect - Our build up, creativity, crosses. That last precise touch was the only thing we lacked, and i think if Berbatov was present in the match today he could have easily bagged one or two as this was one of the perfect matches he could have contributed in. Imagine it was Berbatov instead of Giggs in those first half chances, were all we were missing were the on target shots, and after all that is what Berbatov is all about, contributing with his last, killer touch.

Now, what i'm talking about is today's match as i can't sum it all up together. More than the luck issue what was more applicable to those matches was the consistency. We were going through a period were the whole team was lacking this, where the class of our players was never doubted but due to fatigue or other things, we were underperforming and literally, fighting until the last second to try and pull off a result.

Things look better now, you can't have a flowing attack when the rest of the team is not being good enough - We should make more of our chances, as we have a lot of creative players whom build many chances upfront, and there's some players in the squad that with a little bit more training in their finishing, the whole team would benefit from it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
eh ?? :confused:
We've only had 5 one nil wins in the league this season out of 23 wins so far.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Another one who didn't read the first post properly.
just cos your discussion never really took off to your liking dont mean you can berate everyone who replies to it. We are winning, why we aint getting that second goal (even though we won 2-0, duh!!) is something I will sit and analyse when season is over with.

I apologise on behalf of myself and anyone else who didnt respond with a 10,000 word thesis on the inefficiencies of the Manchester United strike force and how this impact on its supporters.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts